The Student Room Group

ECAA Official Thread - 2nd November 2016

Thought it would be a good idea to start this as it's less than a month to go. This is for 2017 entry to Cambridge Economics, if you're wondering.

How is everyone preparing? I'm just doing some TSA papers (for the problem solving component) and looking through the maths spec.

If anyone has any tips or advice, share them here! Even if you're taking (or have taken) a different entrance exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would strongly advise people to look at the 'Test of Mathematics for University Admission'

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission/preparation

Also, as others have said, the Oxford MAT multiple choice questions. But the spec questions seem easier than ones on the MAT... please tell me someone agrees with me.
Original post by jamestg
Also, as others have said, the Oxford MAT multiple choice questions. But the spec questions seem easier than ones on the MAT... please tell me someone agrees with me.

I'm not taking this paper but I agree that the MAT multiple choice questions are quite a lot harder than those in the TMUA/ECAA.
Reply 3
Original post by Forecast
I'm not taking this paper but I agree that the MAT multiple choice questions are quite a lot harder than those in the TMUA/ECAA.

Strongly recommend you complete the paper from the link above. Some of the questions are the same on the ECAA, if that isn't a hint I don't know what is lol.

I'd still do MAT papers though, better to be over-prepared than underprepared!
How are you tackling the essay section?
Reply 5
Original post by Soulgeass
How are you tackling the essay section?

God knows hahaha.

I haven't really thought about it, I'm just relying on my natural ability for now but I think I'll do some reading and maybe a timed practice.
Reply 6
How did it go?
Had to breeze through the last 7 MCQs because of lack of time and my essay seemed lacking in substance.
Reply 8
Original post by Infested
Had to breeze through the last 7 MCQs because of lack of time and my essay seemed lacking in substance.

You must be some sort of genius. Only 7? Wow
Original post by Labib2911
You must be some sort of genius. Only 7? Wow

I did the first section with slow deliberation, but quickened my pace for the maths section. 5 questions into the math I was already rushing into the answers mostly by guesstimation and the last few were purely random.
I did the first section with slow deliberation, but quickened my pace for the maths section. 5 questions into the math I was already rushing into the answers mostly by guesstimation and the last few were purely random.

I did the opposite. Did the maths section first carefully. But really messed up Section 1. Had to guess most of them. And I wrote better essays in elementary school 😞😞
How did it go?

We're not supposed to discuss the assessment.
Original post by BasicMistake
We're not supposed to discuss the assessment.

I understand your concern but I believe we've kept it within reasonable limits, vague enough such that we could be talking about any other paper and no one would receive any unfair advantage
I did the opposite. Did the maths section first carefully. But really messed up Section 1. Had to guess most of them. And I wrote better essays in elementary school 😞😞

Oh well, it's a new test so it's possible they'll take it with a pinch of salt. Also it's designed to be doable on its own but very tight in terms of time
Oh well, it's a new test so it's possible they'll take it with a pinch of salt. Also it's designed to be doable on its own but very tight in terms of time

I read on their website that, on average, applicants score around 50% so that gives me a little hope
Honestly, given sufficient time, I think the questions were pretty doable...

Doesn't mean I did very well tho eheh
Now that the obligatory 36 hours are up, how did everyone find it?
Reply 17
Has anyone managed to finish all the questions? 😂😂😂It's just not possible to do one question in less than 2 minutes....
36 months*
Original post by Kkkppppp
Has anyone managed to finish all the questions? 😂😂😂It's just not possible to do one question in less than 2 minutes....

I certainly didn't :boring: - The short time was the reason most of us didn't do as well. Many questions would've been worth 3-5 marks on A-Level papers so doing them in a minute was pretty unreasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending