The Student Room Group

Leibniz's Formula - Differential equation

Use Leibniz's formula to establish that:

is a solution of the differential equation:

I have no idea how to go about this, besides the following:

I then differentiated this once to get dZn/dx, and then again for d^2, and substituted the results into the equation - however I got nothing out of doing so. Any help please? :frown:

Thanks, sorry but I still can't quite find my way around this. The section for Leibniz all seem to want differentiating the entire DE n times, but I then end up with differentiating Zn, which is a differential in itself...
Original post by angrybirdzzz
Thanks, sorry but I still can't quite find my way around this. The section for Leibniz all seem to want differentiating the entire DE n times, but I then end up with differentiating Zn, which is a differential in itself...

What Leibniz is really good for is finding the both derivative of a product if 2 functions. Your issue here is that exp(-x^2/2) isn't a product of 2 functions, o Leibniz doesn't apply directly. It's derivative, however....
Original post by DFranklin
What Leibniz is really good for is finding the both derivative of a product if 2 functions. Your issue here is that exp(-x^2/2) isn't a product of 2 functions, o Leibniz doesn't apply directly. It's derivative, however....

Cheers, I actually just figured the derivative was a good starting point as well! :biggrin:
Original post by angrybirdzzz
Use Leibniz's formula to establish that:

is a solution of the differential equation:

I have no idea how to go about this, besides the following:

I then differentiated this once to get dZn/dx, and then again for d^2, and substituted the results into the equation - however I got nothing out of doing so. Any help please? :frown:

Helped a natsci do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest