The Student Room Group

The Official AQA A-Level Business Thread

Hi all!

I couldn't find one on here so I've set up one myself! This is for all people doing the new spec AQA business course at A level. All people are welcome - AS or A2 - as what we all learn is the same!

I'm currently doing A2 after getting an A at AS. It's bloody annoying because I've lost the A now as it's new spec and it doesn't count towards my overall grade but I'm pretty dedicated and I'm going to keep going back over AS material while it's still fresh in my head.

Feel free to use this thread to chat, ask for help, whatever. If you go on my profile, I have created absolutely loads of study resources for Business (and my other subjects), so feel free to check them out! I have also made flashcards and quizzes on Cram and so I will post a link to those later on in this thread. Other than that, hope you all are enjoying business! How are you all finding it? For those who are new, what do you think? How good are you at the analysis and evaluation skills?

Just a final note, I created a thread last week about setting up a WhatsApp group for this spec, but nobody got back to me. I am more than happy to set one up for real if we get people who would be willing to take part. If we all work together, we can help each other through this nightmare that is called A levels!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Congrats on your A at AS! I'm actually struggling with business studies. I don't know how to write essays and write things that are relevant. I know about PEEL and DISCOM but it doesn't seem to help me. If u had any advice or tips on writing business essays (except for practicing a lot of past papers with mark schemes cause I already know it) I would appreciate it. For example, how would u approach this question: To what extent is it likely that Tesla will become a profitable business? (25 marks) I want to see every step that successful business studies student would take to write this essay like where do you start from, what are u thinking about when u see this question etc. if that makes sense. Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sandii0912
Hi! Congrats on your A at AS! I'm actually struggling with business studies. I don't know how to write essays and write things that are relevant. I know about PEEL and DISCOM but it doesn't seem to help me. If u had any advice or tips on writing business essays (except for practicing a lot of past papers with mark schemes cause I already know it) I would appreciate it. For example, how would u approach this question: To what extent is it likely that Tesla will become a profitable business? (25 marks) I want to see every step that successful business studies student would take to write this essay like where do you start from, what are u thinking about when u see this question etc. if that makes sense. Thanks a lot :smile:

Well I'll be more than happy to help you! PM me anytime and I'll help you with all topics. I sort of picked it up gradually throughout the year. My teacher has sent off for my actual papers to be sent back to school so as soon as they arrive I'll be able to see what I did in my exam and I'll be able to help you there!

One thing I will suggest is use ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING the case study is telling you. If you pick bits out that are relevant to the question, analyse them deeply and completely say what you want about them, and then justify yourself, you will see your scores rise dramatically!
Guys do you have tips to get high marks for the 25 markers, like revision notes and the lay out?
Reply 4
Original post by joseph9299
Guys do you have tips to get high marks for the 25 markers, like revision notes and the lay out?

All I am able to offer are the grids that my teacher has given me. It allows you to do 3 chains of analysis, and then merge your last 3 boxes together to give you a good evaluation at the end. I'll be able to post them in here but I'll have to scan them when I go back to college next week because they're A3 size and my printer at home isn't that big XD
Original post by GeorgeB16
All I am able to offer are the grids that my teacher has given me. It allows you to do 3 chains of analysis, and then merge your last 3 boxes together to give you a good evaluation at the end. I'll be able to post them in here but I'll have to scan them when I go back to college next week because they're A3 size and my printer at home isn't that big XD

Oh thank you, That would be very helpful
Reply 6

I'm sorry I've only just logged on for the first time in days! I will get it done Monday straight away and post on here on the evening!
I take AQA Applied Business old spec and I'm currently doing A2. Got a very high A at AS level and aiming for an A* this year. The coursework is a huge advantage, takes so much effort and commitment but it pays off by almost guaranteeing me at least an A this year if I keep it up. I only scored the lowest B in the test which I was gutted about because I knew it so well and thought I did alright? I originally got a C but asked for a remark and went up over half a grade which makes me question the examiners!

Does anyone else do applied business? and how hard is business studies ,I'm assuming its different because my course is 2/3 coursework?
Reply 8
Original post by CallumJSC
I take AQA Applied Business old spec and I'm currently doing A2. Got a very high A at AS level and aiming for an A* this year. The coursework is a huge advantage, takes so much effort and commitment but it pays off by almost guaranteeing me at least an A this year if I keep it up. I only scored the lowest B in the test which I was gutted about because I knew it so well and thought I did alright? I originally got a C but asked for a remark and went up over half a grade which makes me question the examiners!

Does anyone else do applied business? and how hard is business studies ,I'm assuming its different because my course is 2/3 coursework?

Wow! Well done on your AS result that's really good! I think the spec will differ quite a bit as mine is 0% coursework however a lot of the content will be the same as business is business if you ask me. What sort of topics does your exam cover?
Wow! Well done on your AS result that's really good! I think the spec will differ quite a bit as mine is 0% coursework however a lot of the content will be the same as business is business if you ask me. What sort of topics does your exam cover?

Thanks, I feel for you as the tests can make your grade very uncertain :smile: coursework was HUGE though, completed over 100 pages just to show the size of quantity required. The test last year was very simple and short and we got a case study about a storage business. You get asked questions regarding things like types of ownership, ways of raising capital, what the business should do given their financial situation, whether they should expand and other things like that :smile: also a few simple maths questions here and there such as calculating break even. The test throws a few changes to the case study which are often to throw the students off, such as the business I was study changed from a partnership to an LTD. The theory is quite simple but the test is only 1 hour long and 60 marks, requiring very precise answers and you have to be great with time. My weakness is I'm very in depth and not that I can't but rather I don't want to make my answers to the point because I feel I miss things out :/

This year we get another exam which is worth a 1/3, will find out what it covers after coursework but I believe its management this year which sounds fun :biggrin:
Reply 10
Thanks, I feel for you as the tests can make your grade very uncertain :smile: coursework was HUGE though, completed over 100 pages just to show the size of quantity required. The test last year was very simple and short and we got a case study about a storage business. You get asked questions regarding things like types of ownership, ways of raising capital, what the business should do given their financial situation, whether they should expand and other things like that :smile: also a few simple maths questions here and there such as calculating break even. The test throws a few changes to the case study which are often to throw the students off, such as the business I was study changed from a partnership to an LTD. The theory is quite simple but the test is only 1 hour long and 60 marks, requiring very precise answers and you have to be great with time. My weakness is I'm very in depth and not that I can't but rather I don't want to make my answers to the point because I feel I miss things out :/

This year we get another exam which is worth a 1/3, will find out what it covers after coursework but I believe its management this year which sounds fun :biggrin:

That sounds so good compared to my spec! >:frown: At least if you try really hard in your coursework it will take pressure off you when you come to the exam which is good! :P
Reply 11

Hey there, sorry about the delay! I scanned the file today so I've attached it here! You simply write your 20 marker or however long your essay is and fill in the grids following the arrows as your chains of analysis. The last box has instructions above on how to fill it in but at the end I always bring those last 3 ones together to make my evaluation and you'll have a good overall answer! :biggrin:
That sounds so good compared to my spec! >:frown: At least if you try really hard in your coursework it will take pressure off you when you come to the exam which is good! :P

Yes, exactly my point which is why its such a shame coursework is being removed. In my opinion coursework benefits the hard workers and causes the lazy people to suffer. Whilst with tests you get the odd genius who doesn't have to revise.

I feel for you buddy XD
Reply 13
Yes, exactly my point which is why its such a shame coursework is being removed. In my opinion coursework benefits the hard workers and causes the lazy people to suffer. Whilst with tests you get the odd genius who doesn't have to revise.

I feel for you buddy XD

I completely agree! Coursework unfortunately won't exist at all in years to come unless people take up BTECs which in themselves are hard enough due to the sheer amount of work and deadlines you must reach
I completely agree! Coursework unfortunately won't exist at all in years to come unless people take up BTECs which in themselves are hard enough due to the sheer amount of work and deadlines you must reach

Interestingly, this is not the point for some Btecs. There is a Btec from my school which has about the same or less coursework than applied business. There is also a test in applied business. Yet the Btec is worth the equivalent. I don't really see logic in some Btecs as I would argue they are easier (some anyway),

But I guess anyone could argue some studies are easier than others as it is an opinion. and whether this is the case for all Btecs or maybe even just my school I'm not sure. Being decent at coursework though I would always argue coursework easier because it is for me. Not for bragging purposes but in my GCSE business coursework the exam board gave me 100%, last year I got 99% for business and also get high for IT and English GCSE because you can no life it and literally perfect it (which I did don't get me wrong XD). Yet I've never got this high in tests even when putting in the same effort. So I feel sorry for students when coursework goes because its such a great opportunity for hard workers :/ I also thing some BTECs are incredibly great because of their easiness in some cases and the fact they are equivalent to an A level.
Sorry for writing so much its just how I think :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Interestingly, this is not the point for some Btecs. There is a Btec from my school which has about the same or less coursework than applied business. There is also a test in applied business. Yet the Btec is worth the equivalent. I don't really see logic in some Btecs as I would argue they are easier (some anyway),

But I guess anyone could argue some studies are easier than others as it is an opinion. and whether this is the case for all Btecs or maybe even just my school I'm not sure. Being decent at coursework though I would always argue coursework easier because it is for me. Not for bragging purposes but in my business coursework last year the exam board gave me 100% for business, last year I got 99% for business and also get high for IT and English because you can no life it and literally perfect it (which I did don' get me wrong XD). Yet I've never got this high in tests. So I feel sorry for students when coursework goes because its such a great opportunity for hard workers :/ I also thing some BTECs are incredibly great because of their easiness in some cases and the fact they are equivalent to an A level.
Sorry for writing so much its just how I think :smile:

No it's fine it's a good point to raise! I have personally always preferred exams to coursework which everyone seems to find weird but I work better studying for some reason XD It's the same with A level though. 2 of my subjects are Business and Law which are, very hard and consuming due to the essays and writing skills you must show to get credit in your exams, however science and maths students will no doubt be quick to say that their subjects are harder - they do at my sixth form anyway! I think it boils down to the individual as I certainly would not be able to take an A level in any science or maths, however if I made them do a business or law paper, even though it may seem like common sense, I bet they wouldn't have a clue about where to start either! :biggrin:
No it's fine it's a good point to raise! I have personally always preferred exams to coursework which everyone seems to find weird but I work better studying for some reason XD It's the same with A level though. 2 of my subjects are Business and Law which are, very hard and consuming due to the essays and writing skills you must show to get credit in your exams, however science and maths students will no doubt be quick to say that their subjects are harder - they do at my sixth form anyway! I think it boils down to the individual as I certainly would not be able to take an A level in any science or maths, however if I made them do a business or law paper, even though it may seem like common sense, I bet they wouldn't have a clue about where to start either! :biggrin:

I did physics, maths, business and economics last year. Maths is a great subject to perfect in tests as you can almost check your answer, same for physics kinda. I would say science is harder than Edexcel maths which I would argue is a quite easy A level for those who work hard or are naturally talented as most questions are the same. I have a few friends like you though :smile: One of my smartest friends hates coursework
Reply 17
I did physics, maths, business and economics last year. Maths is a great subject to perfect in tests as you can almost check your answer, same for physics kinda. I would say science is harder than Edexcel maths which I would argue is a quite easy A level for those who work hard or are naturally talented as most questions are the same. I have a few friends like you though :smile: One of my smartest friends hates coursework

See I would not be able to do those at all XD Except business and possible economics. I think it'd be okay if you keep on top of it but I can be a procrastinator so when it comes to exams I know I actually need to revise and I work harder XD
See I would not be able to do those at all XD Except business and possible economics. I think it'd be okay if you keep on top of it but I can be a procrastinator so when it comes to exams I know I actually need to revise and I work harder XD

Economics is difficult. Id say my order goes Business > maths > economics > physics. With my coursework I can show all the hard work I've done whilst with tests I do all that hardwork and still got a D in physics (That one mark of a C remark though :frown: ) which is always annoying
Reply 19
Economics is difficult. Id say my order goes Business > maths > economics > physics. With my coursework I can show all the hard work I've done whilst with tests I do all that hardwork and still got a D in physics (That one mark of a C remark though :frown: ) which is always annoying

I know how you feel. Knowing everything is only half the effort; the rest you must know how the examiner behaves which is anybody's guess :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending