The Student Room Group

Double angle formulae trig equation

Solve sin4θ = cos2θ

What do you do with the sin4θ? I tried turning it into 2sin2θcos2θ using the double angle formulae but I don't know where to go from there...

Because say if I then did:

2(2sinθcosθ)(1-2sin2θ) = 1-2sin2θ

or...

2(2sinθcosθ)(2cos2θ-1) = wtf shall I use

I don't even know what to do- am I supposed to make everything so it's all in terms of sinθ or cosθ?? Nothing is seeming to work...
(edited 7 years ago)
Absolute first thing you do: set α=2θ\alpha = 2\theta, so your equation becomes sin2α=cosα\sin 2\alpha = \cos \alpha. Solve for alpha, and then divide by 2 to find theta.
Original post by DFranklin
Absolute first thing you do: set α=2θ\alpha = 2\theta, so your equation becomes sin2α=cosα\sin 2\alpha = \cos \alpha. Solve for alpha, and then divide by 2 to find theta.

Where would you get α from?
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Where would you get α from?

It's just a substitution for the sake of simplicity, you can choose λ=2θ\lambda = 2\theta if you want, doesn't matter.

However, I do not see why you are expressing cos(2θ)\cos(2\theta) in a different form. Simply get everything on one side at 2sin(2θ)cos(2θ)2\sin(2\theta)\cos(2\theta) stage, and just factor out a cos(2θ)\cos(2\theta). You can then solve for theta.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Simply get everything on one side at 2sin(2θ)cos(2θ)2\sin(2\theta)\cos(2\theta) stage, and just factor out a cos(2θ)\cos(2\theta). You can then solve for theta.

Oooooh, that is the logical thing to do! How did I not think of that? :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest