The Student Room Group

Trigonometry alevel maths q

Prove that:
cosAcos(A-B) + sinAsin(A-B) = cosB

I started using the trig identity for sin(A-B) and cos(A-B) from the LHS but after that I don't see how the equation would cancel?
From where you left off (again I'm trusting you did everything right so far, since you didn't show your work):
I'm going to guess you missed the fact that cos^2x + sin^2x = 1.

That said, another approach that doesn't expand the cos(A-B) and sin(A-B) is to note that something familiar will pop up if you make a substitution, like C=A-B (but leave the A alone)*.

*You don't need this substitution, but if you can't see it outright, it is helpful to see the structure.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
FYI you can type in Cos2x quite easily:

[noparse]Cos2x[/noparse]
Reply 3
Original post by a298
Prove that:

I started using the trig identity for sin(A-B) and cos(A-B) from the LHS but after that I don't see how the equation would cancel?

What are you allowed to assume here? If you know the formula for cos(A+B) (or cos(A-B)) there is a one-line substitution that gives you the answer straight away, so it's a bit of a weird question IMHO :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tonyiptony
From where you left off (again I'm trusting you did everything right so far, since you didn't show your work):
I'm going to guess you missed the fact that cos^2x + sin^2x = 1.

That said, another approach that doesn't expand the cos(A-B) and sin(A-B) is to note that something familiar will pop up if you make a substitution, like C=A-B (but leave the A alone)*.

*You don't need this substitution, but if you can't see it outright, it is helpful to see the structure.

Thank you! I realise I needed to factorise the CosB :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by davros
What are you allowed to assume here? If you know the formula for cos(A+B) (or cos(A-B)) there is a one-line substitution that gives you the answer straight away, so it's a bit of a weird question IMHO :smile:

Yes, I am given the formula. After expanding it, I realised the terms cancel, then leading to the factorisation of cosB. Although the mark scheme has a different approach which I couldn't make sense of... It mentioned cosAcos(A-B) + sinAsin(A-B) = cos (A- (A-B)) = cosB ?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by a298
Yes, I am given the formula. After expanding it, I realised the terms cancel, then leading to the factorisation of cosB. Although the mark scheme has a different approach which I couldn't make sense of... It mentioned cosAcos(A-B) + sinAsin(A-B) = cos (A- (A-B)) = cosB ?

As davros mentioned, thats just the angle addition (subtraction) identity in reverse. So
cos(X-Y) = ...
where X=A and Y=A-B so X-Y=B
(edited 9 months ago)
image.jpg
Original post by a298
Prove that:

Original post by a298

Basically, if you can notice it is of the form "coscos+sinsin", you can pretty much "unexpand" the compound angle formula as done there.
That would be the quickest way... if you can notice.
Though it's fine doing it your way as well. Tad bit slower, but still perfectly okay.

Usually maths people isn't happy to just expand stuff willy-nilly, unless they really need to.

Quick Reply

Latest