The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyy22
Heya - I'm a student at Cambridge at the moment (5th year) - so I thought I'd pop in with a few things

1. - not a stupid question! First principles is what you've said - common/the underlying scientific concepts :smile: so it's the idea that you can work through things essentially based on the sort of building blocks if that makes sense?

2. It's worth looking at college websites if you know which college you want to apply to, and seeing if they have anything about interviews. Not all of them do, but some do and they can be helpful :smile: The college I applied to was also 2 interviews, although each one was only with 1 person rather than 2. I've heard some colleges have a 'panel' of people for interviews - so just be aware it varies a bit!

Hi!

Thank you very much!

I wasnt aware that the interview style could change between colleges so thanks for the heads up!

Which college are you at? Also do you have any tips or things you would have done differently if you were to apply again?

Thanks for your time.
Original post by luberry
Hi there, just curious do you have any preferred texts or websites and so on on pharmacology and pharmocodynamics?

Hi,

I dont really have a specific site - I just search around following observing a particularly interesting case at my vets.

A good place which is reaoly interesting to have a read if you have some time is actually on the Cambridge pharmacology department website due to their research which they are currently carrying out!

http://www.phar.cam.ac.uk/research

Do you also have an interest in this area and its application to the veterinary profession?
I finally found a veterinary placement which I'm going to do for 5 hours a week but I'm not sure what to wear. The vet told me i must wear something presentable to be let into the consultation room but not jeans or trainers. The footwear must be strong i think because he said in case a dog stood on my foot and that it'll get mud and blood over it. Please help.
Reply 143
Original post by Anderson2727
Hi!

Thank you very much!

I wasnt aware that the interview style could change between colleges so thanks for the heads up!

Which college are you at? Also do you have any tips or things you would have done differently if you were to apply again?

Thanks for your time.

I'm a student at Murray Edwards - but I applied to St Catherine's College which was where my interview was (I was "pooled" and then another college picked me out, and they didn't re-interview me). I would read around on different things, so not only about topics such as: Bovine TB, and the big "vet" diseases, but also on molecular level topics? (I think I got asked a question about bacteria and mitochondria). I didn't actually read very widely, but I think it might have helped more if I did. The questions (from what I know of other people's at different colleges) do vary a lot - but as for tips: don't be afraid of asking/saying things :smile: If they ask you something that you don't know the answer to - have a guess, and give some reasons as to why you think that. Don't be worried too much about getting it wrong, I think they're generally much more interested in your reasoning.

Hope that helped a little bit - if you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer :smile:
Original post by M12S
I finally found a veterinary placement which I'm going to do for 5 hours a week but I'm not sure what to wear. The vet told me i must wear something presentable to be let into the consultation room but not jeans or trainers. The footwear must be strong i think because he said in case a dog stood on my foot and that it'll get mud and blood over it. Please help.

When I'm on ems I wear black trousers, black boots and a shirt/scrub top. I do wear black jeans and get away with it, and my boots are pretty standard sturdy ones which you can wipe clean. Just don't wear your favorite white shirt because it's likely you'll get blood on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anderson2727
Hi,

I dont really have a specific site - I just search around following observing a particularly interesting case at my vets.

A good place which is reaoly interesting to have a read if you have some time is actually on the Cambridge pharmacology department website due to their research which they are currently carrying out!

http://www.phar.cam.ac.uk/research

Do you also have an interest in this area and its application to the veterinary profession?

Yes, definitely - I was just curious to see if you had any different reading material that I could look into.
Original post by Lizziefickling
When I'm on ems I wear black trousers, black boots and a shirt/scrub top. I do wear black jeans and get away with it, and my boots are pretty standard sturdy ones which you can wipe clean. Just don't wear your favorite white shirt because it's likely you'll get blood on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok,thank you
Hi! So I'm currently in year 12 and really interested in studying veterinary science but worried that my GCSE grades are not good enough. I got:
4A*s (Chemistry, physics, german and french)
3As (Maths, biology and geography)
2Bs (Eng lang and lit)
1C (RS)
So do you think these grades are good enough considering that the course is very competitive? I don't want to put all this effort into work experience if I don't have good enough grades! Thanks
Original post by Kathyxx
Hi! So I'm currently in year 12 and really interested in studying veterinary science but worried that my GCSE grades are not good enough. I got:
2Bs (Eng lang and lit)
1C (RS)
So do you think these grades are good enough considering that the course is very competitive? I don't want to put all this effort into work experience if I don't have good enough grades! Thanks

I think it's all about the A Levels really haha, I only got 2A*s, 5 A's and 3B's and it's not crossed my mind! As long as we have the minimum it says on their requirements :smile:
Original post by katerebecca
I think it's all about the A Levels really haha, I only got 2A*s, 5 A's and 3B's and it's not crossed my mind! As long as we have the minimum it says on their requirements :smile:

Ok, thanks so much :smile:
Original post by Kathyxx
2Bs (Eng lang and lit)
1C (RS)

I got three offers and two interviews with 1A*, 7As (i think), 2Bs and a D. You are fine! As long as you meet the minimum you'll be alright and they'll look more at your A levels/predictions
Would it be a good idea to get work experience on a poultry farm? Would it be a necessity to do lambing as I'm doubting it.
Original post by Kathyxx
2Bs (Eng lang and lit)
1C (RS)

I only have 4A's and 5B's at GCSE but I have 3 interviews upcoming for entry in 2017. In my experience A2 grades, work experience and a strong personal experience have been far more important.
Original post by VictiniCup
Would it be a good idea to get work experience on a poultry farm? Would it be a necessity to do lambing as I'm doubting it.

poultry farm is definitely a good idea. Lambing not a necessity but is considered a 'core' placement and is excellent hands on experience. However I do still know quite a few people on the course who had never done lambing before first year of uni. The problem with poultry is it's good to see a more intensive side of production but it is often less hands on, but I guess it depends on what sort of experience and where you apply as to whether or not that's important to you.
I have chosen to take the EPQ (extended project qualification) as one of my AS but I have no idea what to do it on! Do you think I should do it on something veterinary related or based on a hobby, like drawing or writing a book? Lots of people have told me that I should do it on something other than veterinary because it shows I can do things other than just science and that I have other interests, but then people are telling me I should do it on what I want to do later as a career. What do you think I should do that would help me get into vet school? And if I should do a veterinary based EPQ what should I do it on? My teacher isn't much help so any advice really appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Kathyxx
I have chosen to take the EPQ (extended project qualification) as one of my AS but I have no idea what to do it on! Do you think I should do it on something veterinary related or based on a hobby, like drawing or writing a book? Lots of people have told me that I should do it on something other than veterinary because it shows I can do things other than just science and that I have other interests, but then people are telling me I should do it on what I want to do later as a career. What do you think I should do that would help me get into vet school? And if I should do a veterinary based EPQ what should I do it on? My teacher isn't much help so any advice really appreciated. Thank you :smile:

If you'd find the creative one more interesting and think you'd get a better mark, do that :tongue: It doesn't have to be veterinary related because anyone who does EPQ will likely come out with the same skill set: independent working/research, motivation, time management and essay writing, which are all things you will need to use at uni. THESE are what the uni are looking at rather than what subject you've done.
for a vet related project there are sooo many things you could do it on. I did mine on the economics of bovine TB, but I guess any current topic in vet med is good. I'd say something along the lines of health of Bracycephalic breeds (google it!), pedigree dog breeding, Schmallenberg/bluetongue virus, puppy farming, lameness in dairy cattle, the ethics of animal use, zoonotic diseases etc. the list goes on forever really.
In my opinion you should pick something you like but also something that has been extensively studied and has a lot of literature on it (which is why I chose TB)- after all, you do need to write 5,000 words about it!
Also, the stuff about 'showing you can do more than science' is BS because you're applying to do a science subject! :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Louiseee_
If you'd find the creative one more interesting and think you'd get a better mark, do that :tongue: It doesn't have to be veterinary related because anyone who does EPQ will likely come out with the same skill set: independent working/research, motivation, time management and essay writing, which are all things you will need to use at uni. THESE are what the uni are looking at rather than what subject you've done.
for a vet related project there are sooo many things you could do it on. I did mine on the economics of bovine TB, but I guess any current topic in vet med is good. I'd say something along the lines of health of Bracycephalic breeds (google it!), pedigree dog breeding, Schmallenberg/bluetongue virus, puppy farming, lameness in dairy cattle, the ethics of animal use, zoonotic diseases etc. the list goes on forever really.
In my opinion you should pick something you like but also something that has been extensively studied and has a lot of literature on it (which is why I chose TB)- after all, you do need to write 5,000 words about it!
Also, the stuff about 'showing you can do more than science' is BS because you're applying to do a science subject! :wink:

Thanks so much! I think I may do it on the bluetongue virus sounds very interesting :smile:
Original post by Kathyxx
Thanks so much! I think I may do it on the bluetongue virus sounds very interesting :smile:

I decided to do my EPQ on animal testing. What board are you using?
Original post by VictiniCup
I decided to do my EPQ on animal testing. What board are you using?

I'm using OCR :smile:
This is a really good website for anyone applying to vet school, set up by some Liverpool students :smile: http://www.edvet.co.uk/about.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending