The Student Room Group

BMO1 Geometry Question

This is question 4 from BMO1 2014 and I've gotten stuck on it. I've drawn the diagram:
BMO1 2014 Q5.png
All it tells you is that the minor arcs AF and BF are equal and it wants you to prove that the lines AB and PQ are parallel. What I've done so far is in the attachments, I can write all of the red angles in terms of A,B,C,D and I know that A+B+C+D = 180 deg.
There's lots of similar triangles all over the place but they're really not helpful. I've thought about doing a converse corresponding angle proof with the green angles, but for that I need to know PQF. Any help would be appreciated

Let ABCD be a cyclic quadrilateral where F is the midpoint of the arc AB of it circumcircle. Let AC and FD intercept at P and BD and FC intersect at Q. Prove tha PQ and AB are parallel
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BobBobson
This is question 4 from BMO1 2014 and I've gotten stuck on it. I've drawn the diagram:
BMO1 2014 Q5.png
All it tells you is that the minor arcs AF and BF are equal and it wants you to prove that the lines AB and PQ are parallel. What I've done so far is in the attachments, I can write all of the red angles in terms of A,B,C,D and I know that A+B+C+D = 180 deg.
There's lots of similar triangles all over the place but they're really not helpful. I've thought about doing a converse corresponding angle proof with the green angles, but for that I need to know PQF. Any help would be appreciated

Let ABCD be a cyclic quadrilateral where F is the midpoint of the arc AB of it circumcircle. Let AC and FD intercept at P and BD and FC intersect at Q. Prove tha PQ and AB are parallel

I've had a look at it for quite a while and can't see it. If you need the solution urgently, your best option is probably to pay £15 for the UKMT 2014-15 yearbook (available at http://shop.ukmt.org.uk/ukmt-books/2014-2015-yearbook) which will include the BMO solutions. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait, you can make a Freedom of Information Act request to the University of Leeds, which the UKMT is a part of.
Reply 2
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
I've had a look at it for quite a while and can't see it. If you need the solution urgently, your best option is probably to pay £15 for the UKMT 2014-15 yearbook (available at http://shop.ukmt.org.uk/ukmt-books/2014-2015-yearbook) which will include the BMO solutions. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait, you can make a Freedom of Information Act request to the University of Leeds, which the UKMT is a part of.

It's alright, I don't need it urgently, I was just interested is all. It's shame they make you pay for solutions, despite them having sponsors. It seems as if I'm just missing something obvious. Normally you get stuck because you don't know what to do, but here you're stuck because you don't know what you can even do
Reply 3
I think the solution would go something like this:

My Answer

Might be wrong, but I think that's how I did it
Reply 4
Original post by A02

My Answer

Yes, this works!

I wasn't sure this thread would ever get an answer. I had a go earlier but couldn't get anywhere.
Reply 5
Original post by A02

My Answer

Thanks so much, it seems so simple now. It almost seems too simple to be a Q4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest