The Student Room Group

Charge Transfer Bands Question?

Consider the UV-visible spectra of the complexes in part (a). One of the complexes shows a band for a metal to ligand charge transfer (MLCT).

(i) Explain why this MLCT would be allowed by the Laporte, parity and spin selection
rules. [3 marks]

(ii) With reasoning, state which one of the complexes below is likely to show a band for an MLCT.[Mn(OH2)6]3+[Fe(CO)4]2– [Ni(en)3]2+

I'm not too sure how you know which complex has which charge transfer.
for instance, how do you know if an electron is transferred from an orbital on a ligand to a metal orbital, etc.

Charge transfer bands is a topic I'm struggling with.
Any help would much be appreciated, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
Consider the UV-visible spectra of the complexes in part (a). One of the complexes shows a band for a metal to ligand charge transfer (MLCT).

(i) Explain why this MLCT would be allowed by the Laporte, parity and spin selection
rules. [3 marks]

(ii) With reasoning, state which one of the complexes below is likely to show a band for an MLCT.[Mn(OH2)6]3+[Fe(CO)4]2– [Ni(en)3]2+

I'm not too sure how you know which complex has which charge transfer.
for instance, how do you know if an electron is transferred from an orbital on a ligand to a metal orbital, etc.

Charge transfer bands is a topic I'm struggling with.
Any help would much be appreciated, thank you! :smile:

The ligand needs an empty orbital with the correct orientation and energy level to accept a pair of electrons from the transition metal 3d orbitals.

I do not know the Laporte, parity and spin selection rules off by heart, but I imagine that you could look them up and consider the MO theory of the ligands.

It looks to me like [Fe(CO)4]2- from what I remember of CO ligand complexes (it's been a long time!)

Quick Reply

Latest