The Student Room Group

Dental fees

So I just wanted clarification before calling the dentist back for trying to charge me extra.

So I paid £23.80 for my dental appointment, and then I was told that I needed a filling to cover a decay in my tooth which is £41.50 which equals £65 and whatever pence. I've now been told the £23.80 is supposed to be deducted from the £41.50. Is this true?

I know I should have asked the dentist himself but I'm a little timid if I'm honest
Original post by Anonymous
So I just wanted clarification before calling the dentist back for trying to charge me extra.

So I paid £23.80 for my dental appointment, and then I was told that I needed a filling to cover a decay in my tooth which is £41.50 which equals £65 and whatever pence. I've now been told the £23.80 is supposed to be deducted from the £41.50. Is this true?

I know I should have asked the dentist himself but I'm a little timid if I'm honest

That reminds me of when you hand second graders a mathematical word problem, they see the constants within and without regards of any context start to maniacally operate on them - plus, minus, divide, multiply.

You occupy the dentists schedule and in return for his prescription, you are charged. You are prescribed that you need a filling and are charged to get it. Both are completely different charges, why in the hell would you deduct them? In my rationale, you have been misguided but for all you know, I may be misguiding you. It is best to consult someone with actual relation to what you are seeking consulting for and not very wise to assume an internet forum as an omniscient all-answering grail. I have doubts on why someone would even tell you that, indicating that they have some reason. Ask for that reason, if it sounds reasonable to you, contact your dentist. If the reason is anecdotal, seek confirmation from your dentist. All paths lead to one destination, being timid is not an excuse, play it off as a joke if you are embarrassed.

Hope that helped,
- Ineffable
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Should be 65.20 as the filling takes it to Band 2: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/
I don't think it would be deducted unless I am not understanding. The dental treatment on the Nhs is put into bands and your treatment seems to fall into the band 2 catogory. which I remember it being roughly £65 when I last went.
Reply 4
£65 covers the check up and the filling and is the right charge. Be happy you can still get NHS treatment as provision of this is on its knees
Original post by Zarek
£65 covers the check up and the filling and is the right charge. Be happy you can still get NHS treatment as provision of this is on its knees

Good point. There are so many people who cannot get dental help on the NHS and cannot afford private treatement. There was something that I read that peopel were pulling out their own teeth literally. There just aren't enough NHS dentist sadly.
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
Good point. There are so many people who cannot get dental help on the NHS and cannot afford private treatement. There was something that I read that peopel were pulling out their own teeth literally. There just aren't enough NHS dentist sadly.

It appears the government has cynically underfunded it to the point where dentists can’t earn a good living working in this sector. So the only dentists attracted to NHS work now are those that have to accept it as a prerequisite to come and practice in UK. My dentist told me the stress of NHS time pressures became unbearable. Mind you I don’t agree with dentists walking away, let’s see some protest and on behalf of their patients who can’t afford the private fees
£23 for an appointment is cheap if that’s not NHS the area I’m from they charge double at £50 . You must be from up north where stuff is way cheaper and the cost of living

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending