The Student Room Group

C1 - sketching a graph

Question: Sketch the graph of y=x^2-6x+3, giving the coordinates of the minimum point.

Since I can't factorise it normally, I used the quadratic formula and got 3+root6 or 3-root6. I'm not sure how to continue from here. Do I sub the values into the quadratic to find the value of y for each one? Then the minimum point is the one lowest in the graph?
Original post by Student1914
Question: Sketch the graph of y=x^2-6x+3, giving the coordinates of the minimum point.

Since I can't factorise it normally, I used the quadratic formula and got 3+root6 or 3-root6. I'm not sure how to continue from here. Do I sub the values into the quadratic to find the value of y for each one? Then the minimum point is the one lowest in the graph?

The x value of the minimum point is the mean of the two roots but this is a laborious way to find it. Do you know how to complete the square? This gives the coordinates of the minimum immediately.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
The x value of the minimum point is the mean of the two roots but this is a laborious way to find it. Do you know how to complete the square? This gives the coordinates of the minimum immediately.

Completing the square would give (x-3)^2 -6.
Completing the square would give (x-3)^2 -6.

Yes so the coordinates of the minimum are (3, -6).

In general, when y=(xa)2+by=(x-a)^2+b the minimum is (a,b)(a, b).
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Yes so the coordinates of the minimum are (3, -6).

In general, when y=(xa)2+by=(x-a)^2+b the minimum is (a,b)(a, b).

What about for maximum point?
What about for maximum point?

Completing the square gives the location of the maximum of a parabola too.

http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/mc-ty-completingsquare1-2009-1.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Completing the square gives the location of the maximum of a parabola too.

http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/resources/uploaded/mc-ty-completingsquare1-2009-1.pdf

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest