The Student Room Group

Mayor of London should be supporting Tube strikes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lh030396
Just to put things into perspective... The tube strikes on Monday were actually nothing to do with the drivers. Station staff were striking over job cuts, which in turn effects the public because if there is less staff on the underground it makes it more dangerous...

The only DLR stations that are manned are the ones conjoined the tube network. Places like London City Airport, Poplar and Canary Wharf-Heron Quays are very busy stations that get by just fine without station staff.
Original post by jape
The only DLR stations that are manned are the ones conjoined the tube network. Places like London City Airport, Poplar and Canary Wharf-Heron Quays are very busy stations that get by just fine without station staff.

Completely unmanned? I didn't realise that. I'm not sure if that's reason enough to go unmanned across the entire tube network though. It could be the recipe for absolute disaster! That's a hell of a lot of stations covering the entire city and suburbs and serving millions of customers daily.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Lh030396
Completely unmanned? I didn't realise that. I'm not sure if that's reason enough to go unmanned across the entire tube network though. It could be the recipe for absolute disaster! That's a hell of a lot of stations covering the entire city and suburbs and serving millions of customers daily.

Yeah, DLR stations are much simpler in structures than your typical tube station. And of course we'll never be free of station attendants at places like Stratford, Waterloo, the Heathrow Terminals and all the National Rail stations like Marylebone and Euston. In general though, it's totally feasible that the number of station attendants actually required to make the tube run safely will be a fraction of what it is now.
Reply 23
Original post by jape
Yeah, DLR stations are much simpler in structures than your typical tube station. And of course we'll never be free of station attendants at places like Stratford, Waterloo, the Heathrow Terminals and all the National Rail stations like Marylebone and Euston. In general though, it's totally feasible that the number of station attendants actually required to make the tube run safely will be a fraction of what it is now.

There's actually always a staff member on DLR trains, other countries run fully automated trains however without incident.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Sadiq Kahn the Labour Mayor of London condemns tube strikes:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-says-tube-strike-is-completely-unnecessary-claiming-situation-should-have-been-resolved-a3436001.html

As a Labour mayor he should be supporting these strikes. There was once a time when a labour politician would have sat around the brazier in solidarity with the strikers. In this era of momentum, more politicians need to show their solidarity with strikers.

We need to outlaw strike action and instead go to binding arbitration
Reply 25
Original post by BBS_
There's actually always a staff member on DLR trains, other countries run fully automated trains however without incident.

Didn't know that. I sometimes see them hanging around in doorways (I was kicked off the front seat once, the cheek of it) but I didn't realise they were on every train.
Buy Automated trains and fire every member of staff on the tube network.

In most jobs such as supermarkets, janitors, computer coders etc are not in unions and have a much crappier deal and guess what they work because they are PAID to WORK.
Original post by Kravence
Entitled *****, they should have their wages docked for going on strike

They do. You don't get paid when you're on strike
Bunch of useless ****s, many of them are very rude and have no other job qualifications yet they have the audacity to strike.
Its quite straight forward.

Don't like the pay/conditions in your current job?

Get a different one.

Thats what I've always done,or threatened too and sometimes got what I wanted and if not, walked.

Then again, I dont believe the world owes me a living.

President Reagan had the right idea, sack the ****ers!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by joe cooley
Its quite straight forward.

Don't like the pay/conditions in your current job?

Get a different one.

Thats what I've always done,or threatened too and sometimes got what I wanted and if not, walked.

Then again, I dont believe the world owes me a living.

President Reagan had the right idea, sack the ****ers!

Whilst I disagree with the striking I think it's a pretty poor argument to think people can just quit their job and get another one instantly. What about the period in between when they have rent/mortgage to pay and mouths to feed?

You can't just stroll into places and pick up jobs on the spot. Especially at a pay level required to live in London.
Original post by BBS_
Whilst I disagree with the striking I think it's a pretty poor argument to think people can just quit their job and get another one instantly. What about the period in between when they have rent/mortgage to pay and mouths to feed?

You can't just stroll into places and pick up jobs on the spot. Especially at a pay level required to live in London.

To be honest i was being tongue in cheek there, a bit any way.

Then again that's how it works in the real world,away from the public sector.

The Tube is there to provide transport for people of London, not to provide cushy jobs for union members.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending