The Student Room Group

can someone explain iteration!!

i have my gcse maths (edexcel) mock paper 3 tomorrow and pretty sure they'll be some in there ..however we've never been taught it and i don't understand!
would be much appreciated xx
Original post by issyyyyyy
i have my gcse maths (edexcel) mock paper 3 tomorrow and pretty sure they'll be some in there ..however we've never been taught it and i don't understand!
would be much appreciated xx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zg46tfr/revision

It lead me to 'Computer Science'. Weird.

@SeanFM
Iterations mean stepwise. Rules are itérative because It allowed people to get used to each new rule every time. Adding by iterations is like counting money to the till person So that They are sure to know how much is there but in maths It is a way of estimating amounts And becomes useful for extrapolations And other facets of science And engineering And maths because we van predict The future better. Specifically that is as good an explanation I can come up with without getting a few hours of reading about It.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anfanny
Iterations mean stepwise. Rules are itérative because It allowed people to get used to each new rule every time. Adding by iterations is like counting money to the till person So that They are sure to know how much is there but in maths It is a way of estimating amounts And becomes useful for extrapolations And other facets of science And engineering And maths because we van predict The future better. Specifically that is as good an explanation I can come up with without getting a few hours of reading about It.

thank you so much - so how would you go through a question? what are the steps to finding the answer?
thank you so much - so how would you go through a question? what are the steps to finding the answer?

Post an example of a question, be it form a mock or past paper or textbook.. then share your attempt and then you learn best.

Original post by SeanFM
Post an example of a question, be it form a mock or past paper or textbook.. then share your attempt and then you learn best.

I would agree that a question is needed before anyone can help you in a particularly meaningful way :smile:
Each interaction should get Closer to The exact answer. So just So what The question asks And then once It has said state If it's converging or diverging, how much of a percent age It is off And So It to as many décimal places as you are told. As far as I'm aware this is all you have to do.
Original post by Anfanny
Each interaction should get Closer to The exact answer. So just So what The question asks And then once It has said state If it's converging or diverging, how much of a percent age It is off And So It to as many décimal places as you are told. As far as I'm aware this is all you have to do.

I am just wondering if it will be this type of iteration because I did that in A2 maths core 3 last year so would be a little surprised to see that in GCSE, I mean I guess it is a new spec..
Maths hasn't changed since last year If youre doing a GCSE It should be am easier question to work then!
Yeah so as others have said iterative process is where you keep repeating steps. At the gcse level this will allow you to solve equations in a more efficient way than simply using trial and error. You will usually be giving an iterative formula and this is where you put an input in, obtain an output and then use this output as the new input. Each time you become closer and closer to the true answer.

https://colleenyoung.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/gcse-new-content-iterative-methods-for-numerical-solution-of-equations/
This link shows how it will be assessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQI3a-uMxdo
This link takes you to a tutorial explaing how to use an iterative formula.
Honestly no one on here could fully make you understand iteration. The best thing to do would be to go through a textbook on iteration and then do questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest