The Student Room Group

Culture of racism amongst white students at Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Racism causes no actual loss? Are you serious?

no i said if someone gets called out of random on the streets motivated by racism does not cause actual loss.

racism such as discrimination at workplace or employment should be outlawed. (and it already is)
Original post by HucktheForde
no i said if someone gets called out of random on the streets motivated by racism does not cause actual loss

So what is your point?
So what is your point?

nothing, just ignore me.
Reply 23
Original post by MJlover
Yeah I totally get you. I feel even more isolated as a Black Muslim at uni, people expect so little of you, grade you down when you do well ("oh she forgot to do her citations correctly":wink:, make assumptions about your home life. Its rubbish and I can't escape it.

If you forgot to do your citations correctly maybe you deserved to lose marks?
Ye thats because Bristol Uni is full of 'rahs' that have never seen a non-white person before.

source: I live in Bristol when I'm not at uni.

its being nasty, nasty people are everywhere.

it isnt terrible because it doesnt cause actual lost , other than hurt feelings.

lol. loads of people have committed suicide from being bullied. Pretty big loss imo.

Also loss of grades from becoming depressed and not wanting to leave your room etc.

Just depends how well you cope with harassment / bullying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Ye thats because Bristol Uni is full of 'rahs' that have never seen a non-white person before.

lol. loads of people have committed suicide from being bullied. Pretty big loss imo.

Also loss of grades from becoming depressed and not wanting to leave your room etc.

Harassment motivated by racism or not DOES cause actual loss and should be outlawed ( i believe it is now) , but just getting randomly called on the street with no follow up, i dont think its that much a big deal. Happened to me before, i just ignore em.

What are you mixed with?
Reply 27
no i said if someone gets called out of random on the streets motivated by racism does not cause actual loss.

racism such as discrimination at workplace or employment should be outlawed. (and it already is)

Really outlawed you say? I don't think so, the laws are the biggest racist of all time.

Easier for you to say because you're not affected, it's even high in this side of UK (Scotland).

The laws support racism and that's fact.
Reply 28
Harassment motivated by racism or not DOES cause actual loss and should be outlawed ( i believe it is now) , but just getting randomly called on the street with no follow up, i dont think its that much a big deal. Happened to me before, i just ignore em.

And when you get called that on the road almost everyday, do you still not suffer any loss in your opinion?

It hurts not matter how much you don't want to think about it. If I called you a pig while I passed by you and asked if you've had a bath because you smell and you hear that often. Would you ignore it because it's just being said by some random people on the road?

The truth is you'd probably won't last a day before you go down with depression. I hope the law can genuinely make everyone to respect everyone irrespective of .....
Reply 29

So is Bristol that bad and full of closed-minded people?
What are you mixed with?

my mum is filipino / chinese
my dad is polish / italian
Original post by EC
So is Bristol that bad and full of closed-minded people?

it's a fairly prestigious uni for medicine and STEM subjects. So you get a lot of posh kids from private schools going there.

It's also full of artsy fartsy hipsters with dreadlocks lol.

Theres still normal people that go there though. 3 girls from my year group in highschool study medicine there now, and I went to one of the worst highschools in Bristol.
This shocks and saddens me. I thought this kind of stupid behaviour would be extinct on uni campuses with our 'all-accepting' generation.

I am ignorant it seems.
Original post by MJlover
You barely get any black lecurers at my uni, yet their are loads of serious black students who get on with their studies. I don't think anyone takes uni studies lightly, perhaps having no black lecturers/tutors is just one of the many reasons why some black kids don't succeed at uni?

1. What ethnic group generally does best at university? Asians
2. What ethnic group is least represented amongst lecturers at universities? Asians
Original post by Priscal
Really outlawed you say? I don't think so, the laws are the biggest racist of all time.

Easier for you to say because you're not affected, it's even high in this side of UK (Scotland).

Fun fact there's actually a lot of white on white racism in Scotland...

http://news.gov.scot/news/racist-incident-statistics-released

Would be interesting to see if university rah factor correlated with monkey chanting and other types of anti social behaviour in the student body.
Original post by Priscal

What laws support racism in this country, if you don't me asking?
Original post by Joinedup
Probably difficult to make a report if it's a fairly low level incident committed by students you don't know the name of.e.g. being monkey chanted by a passing group of students.

You get different crime statistics if you go ask people if they've been the victims of crime to if you look at crimes recorded by the police.

e.g. a vandal bent the wiper arms off my car a few months ago - I didn't bother reporting it cos there's no chance of the police catching them and I wasn't interested in making an insurance claim. It'd be a waste of the cops time and mine.

Maybe the uni should be surveying it's students rather than looking at what's been reported.

How can they combat it then, if they don't know who has been doing it then they can't exactly do anything to stop it.
Reply 38
Original post by HopelessMedic
What laws support racism in this country, if you don't me asking?

I am unable to answer this unfortunately, but I am not meaning the law specifically stated it that it support racism if you understand.

You may probably not see it in that view if it doesn't affect you and I am not even only meaning racist from white to black, everything from education to ........

You may ignore the comment if you still need me to further expatiate as I won't. And that's because you may never understand.
Original post by Priscal
I am unable to answer this unfortunately, but I am not meaning the law specifically stated it that it support racism if you understand.

You may probably not see it in that view if it doesn't affect you and I am not even only meaning racist from white to black, everything from education to ........

You may ignore the comment if you still need me to further expatiate as I won't. And that's because you may never understand.

You said "the laws support racism and that's a fact". I simply asked you to back that claim up, which you can't because as i'm sure you know, there are no laws that support racism in this country.

That has nothing to with what i can or cannot understand, you just made a false claim and quite frankly your response was embarrassing to read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending