The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

What are students in Portsmouth like?

Despite England being one country, there are loads of different characteristics amongst white English people, almost certainly because we used to be several Kingdoms and have a history of being invaded.

As a result, in some places, white English people are down to Earth and honest with you (if not absolutely direct, they'll make it obvious they dislike you) and in other places, they act nice (more than just being polite) to your face but talk bad about you behind your back. Whilst it happens in the North, it seems to happen more in the official South of England (and before anyone gets mad, I'm not referring to all Southerners).

So my question is what are white English students at Portsmouth University like? I specifically mention white English both because of what I just wrote and because it's easier to find out about cultural differences when someone is actually from another country, so that's something I can just look up on Bing or that other major search engine.

So anyway, I know many are from different parts of the country, but, in your experience, have you found that they are generally honest so you know who your friends are, or are they fake and act like your friend when they know you're there but talk bad about you behind your back?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by HonestStudent
Despite England being one country, there are loads of different characteristics amongst white English people, almost certainly because we used to be several Kingdoms and have a history of being invaded.

As a result, in some places, white English people are down to Earth and honest with you (if not absolutely direct, they'll make it obvious they dislike you) and in other places, they act nice (more than just being polite) to your face but talk bad about you behind your back. Whilst it happens in the North, it seems to happen more in the official South of England (and before anyone gets mad, I'm not referring to all Southerners).

So my question is what are white English students at Portsmouth University like? I specifically mention white English both because of what I just wrote and because it's easier to find out about cultural differences when someone is actually from another country, so that's something I can just look up on Bing or that other major search engine.

So anyway, I know many are from different parts of the country, but, in your experience, have you found that they are generally honest so you know who your friends are, or are they fake and act like your friend when they know you're there but talk bad about you behind your back?

From what I have seen, they seem OK, pretty friendly. You can sometimes get weirdos and disagreeable types whichever uni you go to though, but they tend to be a minority.

I can confidently say that because I have friends and family who went to Portsmouth.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
From what I have seen, they seem OK, pretty friendly. You can sometimes get weirdos and disagreeable types whichever uni you go to though, but they tend to be a minority.

I can confidently say that because I have friends and family who went to Portsmouth.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending