The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How diverse is Edinburgh

I’m applying to start Edinburgh in 2023 but the few times I’ve visited I haven’t noticed that many people of colour or many ‘ethnic’ communities or know much about the LGBTQ+ scene. I know Edinburgh is a very chill accepting place but, me being half Indian and half Caribbean and queer, I feel that I’d want to be around a very diverse group of people and get involved in various communities around the city if they exist. I would like to be part of communities where I feel seen and represented if I decided to study there for 4+ years. Would love to have some input from queer people and POC at Edinburgh (whether they’re at Edinburgh university or other schools or work in the city) and their experiences in the city!
13% minority ethnic at Edinburgh. Which is low but actually not that much lower than the general UK population which stands at circa 18%. It is however very different from Queen Mary where minority ethnic students make up more than 75% of the student population (very unreflective of the general UK population).

0031F77F-4CB8-4129-BF92-E0F9600F1AA7.jpeg
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by nushnush338
I’m applying to start Edinburgh in 2023 but the few times I’ve visited I haven’t noticed that many people of colour or many ‘ethnic’ communities or know much about the LGBTQ+ scene. I know Edinburgh is a very chill accepting place but, me being half Indian and half Caribbean and queer, I feel that I’d want to be around a very diverse group of people and get involved in various communities around the city if they exist. I would like to be part of communities where I feel seen and represented if I decided to study there for 4+ years. Would love to have some input from queer people and POC at Edinburgh (whether they’re at Edinburgh university or other schools or work in the city) and their experiences in the city!

Hi! Current first year at Edi and am both queer and POC (bi Filipino). From personal experience, other than a large quantity of international students, there aren't many diaspora POC (POC raised in the UK) so that can be a little difficult. However, there are a lot of different cultural societies to join. Most of the people I've met and interacted with here have been open and I haven't experienced any racism (only weird asian fetishization from white guys). For the LGBTQ+ scene, there's a lot of people who are queer and most people are very open and chill about it. The Scottish themselves, the ones I've met at least, are also incredibly chill and just open minded. Being surrounded by other POC pretty much depends on you reaching out and putting in the effort to find other people of colour as most students are white. I remember feeling a little uncomfortable when first moving up as I went from an incredibly diverse town but it was easy to ease into.
hi! i’m white so can’t speak on experiences of POC in the city but i did grow up queer in edinburgh (various identities gender and sexuality wise over my life) so can speak a bit on the general city and inclusiveness LGBTQ-wise.

i’ve always found scottish people generally and especially edinburgh locals to be very chill about queer identities—of course there are exceptions particularly in more rural areas and amongst the elderly, but most people i’ve met especially in the city are very open minded.
Reply 4

You’ll love Edinburgh, it’s very diverse
Reply 5

I just did a year at edinburgh in a classics degree as a (white) trans masc demi-boy queer person and honestly, I really struggled. Maybe it was cause of how incredibly classist I discovered the uni was but it felt like theres a good lgb scene but anyone more on the 'queer' side was hard to come by. They are pretty accepting and you can get your preffered name on your card which i really appreciated. Think the issue is that edinburgh is becoming the new st andews and the student population are like 90% londerners. I am although in classical studies which is the most Tory-esque course so its probably better in arts.
As Im white though I cant say anything about the poc experience sorry.

Hi!!

I’m a first year student, I am white but queer.

There’s lots of societies for queer people. Subway tracks nights, fruit salad drag nights were my favourite and met loads of queer friends there!

Also queer film night by a local student housing cooperative if you look for them on Instagram :smile:

You’ll have a great time!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!!

I’m a first year student, I am white but queer.

There’s lots of societies for queer people. Subway tracks nights, fruit salad drag nights were my favourite and met loads of queer friends there!

Also queer film night by a local student housing cooperative if you look for them on Instagram :smile:

You’ll have a great time!

Hi! I'm queer and joining the Uni in September, do you have the Instagram handle for these?
Original post by neozonedout
Hi! I'm queer and joining the Uni in September, do you have the Instagram handle for these?

@tracksmondays
@fruit_salad_edi
@queer_film_night
Original post by S.E.B2004
I just did a year at edinburgh in a classics degree as a (white) trans masc demi-boy queer person and honestly, I really struggled. Maybe it was cause of how incredibly classist I discovered the uni was but it felt like theres a good lgb scene but anyone more on the 'queer' side was hard to come by. They are pretty accepting and you can get your preffered name on your card which i really appreciated. Think the issue is that edinburgh is becoming the new st andews and the student population are like 90% londerners. I am although in classical studies which is the most Tory-esque course so its probably better in arts.
As Im white though I cant say anything about the poc experience sorry.

Thats very true. Im a white lesbian cis woman, I have a lesbian friend who studies history and theres no queer community on her course which is also very Tory-esque. Im on an arts course so it’s very queer.

however another friend studies sciences and theres a large queer community there so it depend on your luck. There’s a queer medical society I believe so its worth looking into whether your course has a dedicated queer society!

hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending