The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xerxes
Hey guys. 21 year old here applying for foundation maths. Anyone else here applying for maths too? And if so, what qualifications do you have and have you been made an offer yet?

I'm actually completing a level physics this year so I'm wondering how exactly that affects my application.

I emailed them regarding this and they told me that they expect you to have coverd most of the a level maths content in order to cope. Are you doing a level maths?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I'm 28 and doing access to HE at the moment. I applied for Durham about 4 weeks ago to do physics with foundation year. I haven't heard anything as of yet. Has anybody heard anything for that particular programme? I am a high achiever and I think that resonateshould throughout my application but I do not have A-levels.
I sent my application off exactly 4 weeks ago today, still yet to hear a response. Each department differs on their response time and with foundation courses both the Foundation Centre and relevant department have to assess the application, so foundation centre applications quite often take a bit longer.
Reply 23
Original post by LS28
I emailed them regarding this and they told me that they expect you to have coverd most of the a level maths content in order to cope. Are you doing a level maths?

I completed my a level maths in my AS year 3 years ago. (Originally I was planning to complete further maths the year after but I got ill.)

You?
Jones I too am an access to HE student who is applying to the foundation course at durham. They specifically ask you to contact them before you send an application. So I did, unfortunately they're out for the Christmas. Did you not contact them before? They asked me to come and speak to them and see the university for myself. Just a couple of days ago. Will go in January but my ucas deadline is due and I need to send it before I go to see them.
No I didn't contact them, I shall do it after Christmas and explain the situation. Where did you find this out?
Original post by The Antagonist
Jones I too am an access to HE student who is applying to the foundation course at durham. They specifically ask you to contact them before you send an application. So I did, unfortunately they're out for the Christmas. Did you not contact them before? They asked me to come and speak to them and see the university for myself. Just a couple of days ago. Will go in January but my ucas deadline is due and I need to send it before I go to see them.
I was interested in law with foundation and it said so under the "how to apply section"
Also if you check out the foundation centre webpage it will tell you to fill out an online enquiry form. They replied to me within the next working day. But as i said, they're out of office for two weeks. I hope to see them after but i still had to send my ucas application as my college deadline was due.
(edited 7 years ago)
Applied for Computer Science with Foundation. As of September 2017 I'll be 22 yrs old, so a mature student(sounds so weird to call myself mature). Also applied for Loughborough, UWE & Sussex for similar courses. Fingers crossed.
To clarify guys, in the "How to Apply" section it says that they "strongly advise" that you fill out the online enquiry to check your suitability, but it's not essential at all, and won't affect your likelihood of either being accepted or declined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
So good to know that there are plenty of people in the same situation as me!

I'm 23 and heading to Durham straight from full time employment to study Business with foundation. Applied to John Snow and got my offer shortly before Christmas.

Is everyone else at Queens or are there any foundation years been done at Durham?
Physics is run out of the Durham campus :smile: I'm still waiting for my decision to come through. The waiting game is the worst!
Reply 31
Original post by BradPennick
Physics is run out of the Durham campus :smile: I'm still waiting for my decision to come through. The waiting game is the worst!

Yeah isn't it! Was so relieved to get my offer, wasn't expecting it before Christmas at all. Which college have you applied for?

I have the advantage of being fairly familiar with uni life around durham since my girlfriend is there already, looking forward to seeing Stockton though!
Hello guys! Im 18 turning 19 this month and I have applied to study Geology with a foundation year as I was very ill last year I could only study 2 full A-Levels, how long has everyone waited for a response back / have yous heard back yet? I have yet to hear anything although I am pressuming theyre just rather busy trying to process loads of other applications too. I have taken a bit of a risk and I have ONLY applied to Durham , argh risky!
Reply 33
I had to wait around 6 weeks, when did you apply? It might depend on the department too. I only applied for durham too, I think you can add more choices down the line if it doesn't go to plan.

The deadline for applications isn't til the end of February so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard back yet.
Its winter graduation week, and they're having test week this week, also it was xmas holydays so wait until end of january for them to get back to applications
Hey guys, another foundation centre hopeful here. I applied on Jan 5 for the BA Archaeology with Foundation course as a mature student at the ripe old age of 21. I've got some experience in archaeology, plus plenty of volunteering, plus a reference from an archaeology lecturer from the university of Reading, so I'm hoping all of that will counteract my bad grades from high school. Still, I'm super nervous about it. I know it's normal not to hear back for a few weeks, but I've seen people on here get offers after 10 days and that stresses me the eff out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Relax! Honestly, if I were an admissions tutor, I'd accept you based off of what you said! I applied back at the end of November and I'm still yet to hear back so it can take a while :')
Original post by BradPennick
Relax! Honestly, if I were an admissions tutor, I'd accept you based off of what you said! I applied back at the end of November and I'm still yet to hear back so it can take a while :':wink:

You've been waiting since November?? Oh man, that must be agony. Have you applied anywhere else?
Oh God you have no idea! 5 places in total: York, Southampton, Swansea, Sussex and Durham. The first 3 have declined me, still waiting for Sussex and Durham but they are my first two choices. I'm kind of hoping that the other 3 just had different entry criteria... But the prevailing belief is that I'm so smart that they didn't want me to show up the other students :smile:
I've been waiting since September! I've heard back from all of my other choices as well. A painful waiting game

Latest