The Student Room Group

How to improve my english? [AQA English (Lit and Lang) ]

Hey guys,
I am really struggling with English (both Lit and Lang) finding even lessons hard but I need to get a grade 6 for the A-Level courses I want to do, any study/revison tips/resources anyone knows of that would help?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Bump
Bump.

I'd give advice, but dont particularly know myself
What do you struggle on? I study both at A Level so can provide some helpful advice :yes:
Practise like hell, look up other students essays and with english literature ensure you're using P.E.E, embedding quotes, linking social class as well as for english language doing plans before the question and annotating your work, use youtube pbd lessons to help. Need any extra help just ask
Reply 5
Know exactly what the question and the specification wants from you, devour the books you're required to study, look at critical essays related to the books and the concepts, and keep practicing. Also, refer to the exemplary essays provided by AQA to get an idea of the different standards of work, and try to emulate your writing style to fit your desired standard.

Remember, practice is key. Do all the past papers as many times as you can and keep improving them each time. GET FEEDBACK.
Reply 6
Original post by Rhythmical
What do you struggle on? I study both at A Level so can provide some helpful advice :yes:

I usually think I do well in the exams but always end up getting really low grades. My school is bringing in an AQA trained professional for a whole day workshop on Monday, so areas I am still not sure on I will ask you then! Thanks for offering to help me!
Reply 7
Original post by Sapphire8495
Practise like hell, look up other students essays and with english literature ensure you're using P.E.E, embedding quotes, linking social class as well as for english language doing plans before the question and annotating your work, use youtube pbd lessons to help. Need any extra help just ask

Thanks, I will definitely do all the past papers, got the links from my teacher!
Reply 8
Original post by _howl
Know exactly what the question and the specification wants from you, devour the books you're required to study, look at critical essays related to the books and the concepts, and keep practicing. Also, refer to the exemplary essays provided by AQA to get an idea of the different standards of work, and try to emulate your writing style to fit your desired standard.

Remember, practice is key. Do all the past papers as many times as you can and keep improving them each time. GET FEEDBACK.

Thanks, gonna do some past papers and re-read the texts we have studied
Original post by Rleggett12
I usually think I do well in the exams but always end up getting really low grades. My school is bringing in an AQA trained professional for a whole day workshop on Monday, so areas I am still not sure on I will ask you then! Thanks for offering to help me!

No problem at all. I used to be like this until I realised where I went wrong and it helped to know what I was up against, my PM's are always open if you want help! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest