The Student Room Group

English language and literature WJEC Eduqas

Hey, I really want to get a high grade (9 or 8) in English lang/lit but rn I'm getting 7/6 in my mocks. I'm in year 11 and I don't know how to improve if you could give me some tips or recommend websites id really appreciate it :smile:

Here are the things I struggle doing :
. Narrative writing (English language)
. Transactional tasks (English language)
. Structuring essays (English literature)
I got an 8 in both English Lang + Lit so I hope I can be of some help:

I also struggled with narrative writing - luckily if you do aqa they have given the option of choosing narrative OR descriptive each year. So I just picked descriptive each time I did a mock/the actual thing.
BUT I have a few tips for narrative writing:
- you need to try to read books in your free time if you can, note down any good adjectives/sentences/storylines and just add it in to your texts!
- For every mock I did I learnt a great paragraph on the weather and put it in every single time. You can do sneaky things like that and just crowbar it into whatever you’re writing :smile:. The weather is very useful. :wink:
- The best thing you can do in any writing is a cyclical structure - your examiner will absolutely LOVE that. You could write about whatever sentence you’re given/picture and then completely change the perspective into it being the opposite. Big ideas like that win over examiners.
- Your paragraph structures are also important - use single word/sentence paragraphs for emphasis - they LOVE it.
- you don’t need a complex storyline / lots of characters / lots of dialogue - they want the opposite!!
- it’s pretty much the same as a descriptive - just a slight storyline ( can be simple like a girl going to the shop and describing her journey! Don’t over complicate it )

I’m sorry I have absolutely no idea what transactional writing is… I literally just did my GCSEs this year and I have never even heard of that

Structuring essays eng lit - Watch Mr Salles on YouTube!! He does absolutely incredible videos on everything to do with eng lit. He will probably do videos on your specific texts too. He goes through grade 9 responses and explains the structure. + he is very active in the cmnt section if you want to ask him questions - I’ve had a few questions answered by him :smile: Genuinely couldn’t praise anyone more than him - he is miles better than my teachers.

But your PEEL structure / whatever your school teaches is great!!
- I was told embedded quotes are essential for top grades :smile:

Sorry if this wasn’t very helpful - feel free to ask anymore q’s though!!!!
Sorry! Ive looked up what transactional tasks are - I know what you mean now :smile:

You need to just flood your article/whatever with persuasive devices. They are the most essential part :
- direct address - address the reader - “YOU need to help YOUR planet.” / changing it later to “WE” is good
- extended metaphors - basically a story inside ur article - very difficult to explain sorry
- hyperbole - exaggerate SO MUCH, make even the littlest of things a HUGE problem
- statistics - this is kind of risky - you need to add REASONABLE ones otherwise it makes you look silly
- if you can add little jokes that can be useful :smile: - you don’t have to be a comedian but you can have fun with your writing and give your examiners fun marking it!
- there’s lots more that are important too and you should research!

Keep up your varied paragraph lengths and structures + varied punctuation + grammar

Again Mr Salles does videos on all these things :smile:

Good luck! Anything is possible - I was getting 5’s at the start of year 11 and I got two 8’s :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for taking time to reply and give me advice/tips , these will definitely help me improve my grades. I actually got my y11 mock results the other day and i got an 8 in English Lang and a 6 in English lit which I'm very happy with but I know I can I improve with these tips. Again thx so much and well done on your grades :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Annabannanaaa
Sorry! Ive looked up what transactional tasks are - I know what you mean now :smile:

You need to just flood your article/whatever with persuasive devices. They are the most essential part :
- direct address - address the reader - “YOU need to help YOUR planet.” / changing it later to “WE” is good
- extended metaphors - basically a story inside ur article - very difficult to explain sorry
- hyperbole - exaggerate SO MUCH, make even the littlest of things a HUGE problem
- statistics - this is kind of risky - you need to add REASONABLE ones otherwise it makes you look silly
- if you can add little jokes that can be useful :smile: - you don’t have to be a comedian but you can have fun with your writing and give your examiners fun marking it!
- there’s lots more that are important too and you should research!

Keep up your varied paragraph lengths and structures + varied punctuation + grammar

Again Mr Salles does videos on all these things :smile:

Good luck! Anything is possible - I was getting 5’s at the start of year 11 and I got two 8’s :smile:

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and give me advice/tips , these will definitely help me improve my grades. I actually got my y11 mock results the other day and i got an 8 in English Lang and a 6 in English lit which I'm very happy with but I know I can I improve with these tips. Again thx so much and well done on your grades :smile:
Original post by -zara-

wow nice to hear you got an 8 in language. please do tell us what you get in your actual gcses as i’m currently in year 10 (omw to yr11) and being predicted 5/6 in english, but i also want to get a high grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending