The Student Room Group

Other ways too get into Biology other than Olympaid?

Hello,

I was going to take part in the BBO this year but unfourtunatly i'm sick atm...

So I was wondering, obviously taking part in the BBO and getting lukcy to take part in the IBO is a good way to get noticed and get involved in Biology, but are there other ways to get involved, like are there other competitions or oppotunites to show off your talent and biology expertise in other events/ways? Would really like to have the experience alternative and the same as the BBO&IBO respectivly.
It depends what you mean by get noticed. If you are thinking in terms of getting on to a biology degree, they are more interested in grades. A bit of semi-relevant work experience or voluntary work helps but is not necessary.

If you are thinking more long term about a research career, beyond just the expected good grades and academic references, completing a summer lab placement/studentship while doing your degree is the way to go. iGEM is worth looking into if synthetic biology/molecular genetics is your thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
It depends what you mean by get noticed. If you are thinking in terms of getting on to a biology degree, they are more interested in grades. A bit of semi-relevant work experience or voluntary work helps but is not necessary.

If you are thinking more long term about a research career, beyond just the expected good grades and academic references, completing a summer lab placement/studentship while doing your degree is the way to go. iGEM is worth looking into if synthetic biology/molecular genetics is your thing.

Ah okay thanks. Bit gutted I couldn't go this year :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex

I mean more beyond the biology degree. I really want to become a biologist in the future and I know people who took part in the IBO and BBO got really good jobs in the field. Appreantly it helped them to gain links and gain the skills in biology which gained them links and jobs in their own fields. It would have looked good to compete in the IBO. No-Ines to say that I would have got that far but if I did, it probably would have been easier to get into biology and gained a new experience beyond the normal experience of a-level and gcse and gained links and experience. Anyway, what is the iGEM? I have not heard about this before?
Original post by elmosandy
I mean more beyond the biology degree. I really want to become a biologist in the future and I know people who took part in the IBO and BBO got really good jobs in the field. Appreantly it helped them to gain links and gain the skills in biology which gained them links and jobs in their own fields. It would have looked good to compete in the IBO. No-Ines to say that I would have got that far but if I did, it probably would have been easier to get into biology and gained a new experience beyond the normal experience of a-level and gcse and gained links and experience. Anyway, what is the iGEM? I have not heard about this before?

iGEM is a competition centred around using synthetic biology to solve a real world problem. Some of the interesting ideas get their way into the press:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2110839-lightbulb-made-of-modified-e-coli-fuses-biology-and-electronics/
Reply 5
Original post by Quantex
iGEM is a competition centred around using synthetic biology to solve a real world problem. Some of the interesting ideas get their way into the press:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2110839-lightbulb-made-of-modified-e-coli-fuses-biology-and-electronics/

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending