The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

biology at bath!

just got an offer from bath for Biology (MSci), does anyone have any strong opinions on accommodations? i don’t know a lot and i can’t go to an on-campus visit so any advice is appreciated :smile:
(also anyone else starting in ‘23 please reply with your offer, would love to get to know people)
Original post by Leanne Tan
just got an offer from bath for Biology (MSci), does anyone have any strong opinions on accommodations? i don’t know a lot and i can’t go to an on-campus visit so any advice is appreciated :smile:
(also anyone else starting in ‘23 please reply with your offer, would love to get to know people)

Hey, congrats on your offer. I've got an offer for architecture. I stayed in one of the ensuite, self-catered accommodations during a summer school I did (Malborough and Solsbury Court) and hope to stay in the same one in first year. It was quite spacious and clean and not too far from anything. There's a thread all about accommodation which I found helpful so I've attached a link too. Hope that helps.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102789&page=8
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello Leanne!

Many congratulations on your offer for MSci Biology!

In terms of choosing accommodation for your first year, there are multiple factors to consider…

City-based or campus-based? Both city based and on-campus accommodation options have their benefits, and drawbacks. Being in the city means you are closer to the friendly bustle of Bath city centre, the nightlife, the shopping options, and places to walk and with buses directly to campus approximately every 5-10 minutes you are never far away from the university. However this does mean you may need to factor travel into your budget. When I was a Psychology student a Bath not so long ago I lived on campus in my first year, and one of the things I enjoyed about choosing this option was being so close to all the campus amenities; such as the various cafes and eateries, the students’ union, as well as the lecture halls. Being on-campus may give you the sense of feeling more immersed in the university culture, and means you will not be reliant on buses to make it to lectures on time. However as Bath’s campus is relatively small compared to other universities, some students (for example, those who come from larger cities) may prefer city options.

Ensuite or non-ensuite? Whilst rooms in some accommodation blocks come with ensuite bathrooms, others do not. Those with ensuites tend to be a little pricier, and some students may feel that having to share a loo/shower block means they are prompted to come out of their rooms and into the corridors more, potentially opening up more chances to bump into your flatmates and strike up conversations! However is having your own space and privacy is important to you, then an ensuite option may be better suited to your needs.

Catering credit or no catering credit? Here at Bath certain accommodation blocks come with ‘catering credit’ meaning that a set amount of money (either £25 or £50 per week) is added to your student card from your accommodation fee, which you can spend on food and drinks from most of the cafes and eateries on campus (although you may wish to supplement this with buying food yourself, too!) Choosing accommodation with catering credit gives you 10% discount in most cafes and eateries and exploring the different ones is a great way to get to know your way around the campus and meet up with friends; however this is not necessarily the right choice for everyone.

This page is packed with links with info about different aspects of Bath University’s accommodation, including a price guide, more information about catering credit, and links to both a virtual tour of the campus and 360 tours of inside the different accommodation blocks’ rooms themselves (you might find this particularly useful if you are not able to come to visit campus!)

You might also find checking out some of our current students’ accommodation blog posts or chatting to a current Bath student on Unibuddy helpful they will also be more than happy to chat about their experience of making friends in first year; and as some are also from the Department of Science they might be a useful source of top tips study-wise too! Our accommodation team will also be more than happy to answer any questions you have on email: [email protected]

I hope this helps 😊

Holly
University of Bath
Hey congrats on getting into Bath. I'm also gonna be doing Biology hopefully for 2023/24! I think for the accomodation it was kinda like Polden and Quads were the nice ones and the other ones kinda had... mixed opinions haha but i'm sure they'll be relly good. Which did you pick? I think my top 3 were like Brendon court, Marlborough and Eastwood Terrace because I couldn't really afford some of the other ones.
Awwww didn't see you're doing an Msci though, I'm doing a BSc :'(

Quick Reply

Latest