The Student Room Group

4 A-Levels and an EPQ

Hi,

Just asking for a bit of advice from anyone who’s done/is doing 4 A-Levels and an EPQ. I want to take:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

And currently am doing currently:
-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)
-CERT: Medical Neuroscience (Duke University, online course)
-LCM Diploma: Piano

So basically, I know the workload is hard but I’m managing 12 GCSEs, a Certificate in Neuroscience and a Diploma in Piano pretty well.

I want to advance onto an intercalated MBChB medicine degree, with intercalation to a BSc in Neuroscience/MB-PhD in Neuro-oncology (if I’m still interested by then of course).

The reason I think it’s good to do it is because this CERT in Neuroscience gives me insight into A-Level Biology/Psychology (and some degree stuff) topics I’ll know really well by the time I get to 6th Form, making those areas of those subjects a lot easier. Also doing a GCSE in Psychology obviously helps with Psychology and L2 Further Maths makes AS-Level Maths pretty manageable.

So I want to know if it’s worth it to do 4 a levels and an EPQ, and if the workload is as hard as people make out.

TL/DR: Worried 4 A levels and EPQ is a heavy workload, but already doing a lot, want to study medicine.

Scroll to see replies

No, it's not worth doing 4 A Levels.
For med, no, not worth the expenditure of time.
Original post by Flòraidh
Hi,

Just asking for a bit of advice from anyone who’s done/is doing 4 A-Levels and an EPQ. I want to take:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

So basically, I know the workload is hard but I’m managing 12 GCSEs, a Certificate in Neuroscience and a Diploma in Piano pretty well.

I want to advance onto an intercalated MBChB medicine degree, with intercalation to a BSc in Neuroscience/MB-PhD in Neuro-oncology (if I’m still interested by then of course).

The reason I think it’s good to do it is because this CERT in Neuroscience gives me insight into A-Level Biology/Psychology (and some degree stuff) topics I’ll know really well by the time I get to 6th Form, making those areas of those subjects a lot easier. Also doing a GCSE in Psychology obviously helps with Psychology and L2 Further Maths makes AS-Level Maths pretty manageable.

So I want to know if it’s worth it to do 4 a levels and an EPQ, and if the workload is as hard as people make out.

TL/DR: Worried 4 A levels and EPQ is a heavy workload, but already doing a lot, want to study medicine.

Hey at my school half of our cohort did 4 A levels + the mandatory EPQ. All of us med candidates certainly did this but most of us dropped our 4th subject after year 12. For me this was Chinese and for some of my other friends: FM, Maths, Econs, Psych. I just enjoyed my frees more than speaking practice if I'm being honest and I hated that for Chinese I had to memorize stuff whereas in my other subjects, (bio, chem, maths) understanding came quite naturally. The transition from GCSE to A level was quite smooth too and you are right having already done a lot in GCSE (I did 12 too) the workload in A level was actually a lot lighter and everything just made sense! Though as people have suggested, it might not be worth your time considering how much prep goes into the UCAT during the summer of Y12 and finishing the first draft of the EPQ at the same time. However, 4 A levels + the EPQ is still very much manageable. One of my friends ended up attending Oxford med and the other Imperial med. Both did 4 A levels (math, bio, chem, physics) + the EPQ and got straight A*s. They were able to shadow and volunteer throughout the year, continue with their music and sport activities, and revise with ease. It really depends on you! They really thrived with a heavy workload (but really I thought taking physics then was justified given the BMAT (now discontinued) and I guess it helped with understanding the mechanics bit of maths). If you want to do 4, start with 4 and drop the subject any time. Hope this helps!
Get a job and volunteer. You need to have a rounded application, they don’t want a one trick pony. You will be able to offer them more this way! You are obviously bright so aim for your A’s but add to that in other ways. Why not start a Charity at school, more impressive tonight’s and personally more worthwhile than a 4th A. In my humble opinion 🙂
Take 3 A levels, maybe the EPQ and get a job working in care. Practical (paid) experience in a basic care job will be much more helpful to you than an additional A level (both in deciding whether your current plans are right for you and in demonstrating that you’re able to thrive in a care environment).

Note that I am talking about the care sector not the healthcare sector. The care sector is desperate for staff right now, particularly in evenings and weekends. Finding a permanent part time job should be simple enough.
Reply 6
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

Did this but replace psycology with fm. Dont do it to yourself my school forced me to do an EPQ dont do if you have an option. Lost sleep and too much stress from 4 A-levels and EPQ.
Reply 7
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

As others have said, you are better off doing 3 plus EPQ, especially for med, where any spare time you have you can focus of work experience, entrance exam prep, super curriculars, interview prep etc.
Reply 8
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

Don't do 4 + EPQ. Do 3 + EPQ and with the extra time you have, do intense admissions test prep because they care far more about that.

I would say that Psychology is a waste of your time and it's considered to be 'soft' by some institutions so just drop that and take Chemistry, Biology, Maths + EPQ.

This is coming from someone who does Computing, Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry and EPQ. I shouldn't have done EPQ - it was a waste of my time, but I gained some skills from it (useful or not). Furthermore, none of my places I applied to actually care about it.
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

Could you not start with 4 and see how you go? Then if its too much get rid of one after the first few weeks. Or even just do an AS level in one of them (if thats possible at your school) so you go down to 3 subjects in year 13.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Could you not start with 4 and see how you go? Then if its too much get rid of one after the first few weeks. Or even just do an AS level in one of them (if thats possible at your school) so you go down to 3 subjects in year 13.

I still wouldn't recommend 4 + EPQ. It seems fine at first but then if you choose to apply to competitive universities that require admissions tests and interviews, you will fall behind by a lot and struggle to meet deadlines (like I did). I applied to Cambridge and Imperial, both of which have admissions tests and interviews. Now, I didn't think I would get an interview from either of these places so I did EPQ in the hope that it would help me with some of the other places I applied to. I was so wrong. The Cambridge admissions test took a lot of time to prepare for. The Imperial test, I didn't know about until I got the email three days before the test saying that I have to sit a test. About a month after, I got an interview invite which then shifted my focus and I also have an NEA for Computer Science which takes years out of your life.

I wrote the majority of my EPQ in January which is crazy when you think that my school set a deadline for final hand-in for the 26th of Jan. I think the week it was due in, my average time of going to sleep was 4:00 am and I get up at 6:00 am to get to school.

Think very carefully about how you are going to manage your time. If you are going to apply to some medium tier universities, you can still do 4 or 3 + EPQ and get a reduced offer. If you are applying to top universities, EPQ is more or less useless as they don't look into it that much and it is not really part of offer conditions on the most part.

I would say that 3 + EPQ would more than suffice.
Original post by vnayak
I still wouldn't recommend 4 + EPQ. It seems fine at first but then if you choose to apply to competitive universities that require admissions tests and interviews, you will fall behind by a lot and struggle to meet deadlines (like I did). I applied to Cambridge and Imperial, both of which have admissions tests and interviews. Now, I didn't think I would get an interview from either of these places so I did EPQ in the hope that it would help me with some of the other places I applied to. I was so wrong. The Cambridge admissions test took a lot of time to prepare for. The Imperial test, I didn't know about until I got the email three days before the test saying that I have to sit a test. About a month after, I got an interview invite which then shifted my focus and I also have an NEA for Computer Science which takes years out of your life.

I wrote the majority of my EPQ in January which is crazy when you think that my school set a deadline for final hand-in for the 26th of Jan. I think the week it was due in, my average time of going to sleep was 4:00 am and I get up at 6:00 am to get to school.

Think very carefully about how you are going to manage your time. If you are going to apply to some medium tier universities, you can still do 4 or 3 + EPQ and get a reduced offer. If you are applying to top universities, EPQ is more or less useless as they don't look into it that much and it is not really part of offer conditions on the most part.

Thats why i suggested just doing an AS in one of them. As that would free up time in year 13, for things like admissions tests and other things.
Or just do the 4 subjects and not do the EPQ. They arent as good as some schools make out anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by vnayak

I would not agree that EPQ is useless for top unis. Even with all A*, you are not getting into the likes of Oxbridge and LSE with just great grades. You need to have really strong supercuriculars, and doing an EPQ in a relavent subject can go a long way towards that. They also demonstrate independent learning and research skills.

I know it is just a sample of 2, so it of course does not prove anything, but both my daughters recently got into Cambridge with just 3 plus EPQ.
Reply 13
Original post by lalexm
I would not agree that EPQ is useless for top unis. Even with all A*, you are not getting into the likes of Oxbridge and LSE with just great grades. You need to have really strong supercuriculars, and doing an EPQ in a relavent subject can go a long way towards that. They also demonstrate independent learning and research skills.

I know it is just a sample of 2, so it of course does not prove anything, but both my daughters recently got into Cambridge with just 3 plus EPQ.

No but I'm saying with 4 + EPQ. They don't really look too closely at that point I don't think.
Reply 14
If you like to apply for Medicine, some kind of job experience / volunteering etc. is crucial in your PS and interview.
(edited 2 months ago)
40% of Oxbridge applicants have 4 or more A-Levels. 🙂
Reply 16
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

Either do 4 A levels or do 3 + EPQ (which I recommend). EPQ is quite valuable in medicine to show your interest for research and other things. Psychology in itself won't really be much of an advantage to your application so drop it, pick up EPQ and sweat your admissions test (UCAT).
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

If you’re managing 12 GCSEs and extra stuff outside of school, you will be absolutely fine. This is coming from someone who is taking four a levels and an EPQ, who only did 10 GCSEs.
If you are organised and can cope well under stress, you have nothing to worry about (if you cannot organise your time or when to do homework, you will probably struggle). Plus, you have a better chance of into getting into oxbridge or imperial with four a levels.
Additionally, the first year of maths will be a breeze for you given your GCSE in further maths, as AS level is essentially just GCSE further maths.
Regardless, you can always drop one if you find it too much- so why not give it a go and see how you do?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 18
Hi,

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Maths
-Psychology
-EPQ

-English Literature (8)
-English Language (9)
-Maths (8)
-L2 Further Maths (8)
-Biology (8)
-Physics (9)
-Chemistry (9)
-Psychology (9)
-Music (8)
-Geography (9)
-German (8)
-RS (8)

I can tell you from experience, not worth 4 A-levels. 3 A-levels is perfect and if you manage an EPQ on top, brilliant. EPQs are HARD, my school started with 72 doing an EPQ and only 3 finished. I was one of the ones to drop out and I dropped out late. It's just hard to manage with the workload (which basically doubles in year 13). My friend was one of the 3 that finished an EPQ and found it pointless. Unless you get an A in it Universities do not care, even then its rare that they care.
In my opinion its best to aim for top grades in 3 A-levels and do a work placement or get a job in some sort of care for your future.
The Context of A-levels is alot, I thought I could manage 4 + EPQ and I dropped a subject and the EPQ.

Simply put, not worth it.

Best of luck.
(edited 2 months ago)
I've seen people say that for some (top) unis if you submit predicted grades for 4 A-levels then they give you an offer for four A-levels ie 2 A stars and 2 A's - but if you do three then they give you an offer of 3. Seems crazy to me but I guess it's to stop people applying with 4 A-levels to look good and then dropping one as soon as they get an offer.

EPQ's are easy - and easy to get high grades in. What you need to do is come up with your title and do your research over the summer hols when you have loads of time. Just pick something that you're really interested in and that is relevant to the degree you want to do then you can talk about the project a lot when you apply to uni. The important thing with EPQ'S is to evaluate each stage of the process and list the skills you've used/learnt. Also a Gantt chart - for some reason they love these. The stuff you do around the essay and what you learn from it are what they want to see as much as the essay itself. 5000 words isn't very much, some people at my school left it till the last two weeks! I wouldn't recommend that though - get as much done early on over the summer and at the beginning of the school year when the work load is least.

Quick Reply

Latest