The Student Room Group

Sixth Form + Am I being unrealistic?

Hey there! I'm currently about to go into Year 11, and looking to A-level courses, and sixth forms. I'd like to take veterinary medicine as a career, although I know it's highly competitive, and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

At the moment, my predicted GCSE grades;
English (both) - 8
Maths (inc. further) - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7 (hoping to get it up to an 8 if possible)
Physics - 7
Business - 8
Geography - 7
Latin - 8
RE - 9 (completed early)

I'm looking into taking Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and potentially psychology as a-levels, although any feedback on these would be great! I'm struggling on what to choose, haha!

If anyone has any advice about sixth forms would be appreciated, I've been looking into LAE, Westminster etc. However, I'm in South London, so they all require a bit of travelling (which I'm not opposed to!)

Does anyone have any advice, or feedback? Thank you!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Don’t travel too far. It is not worth it I’m my opinion. You will get tired, which could negatively impact your studies, plus many unis these days look at results in to context of the school you got them in, so if you get say AAA in one of the highest achieving schools, it is not quite as good as getting the same grades in an average school. I’d recommend going to a school nearby, even if it just average/decent rather than outstanding.
Reply 2
Original post by Xx_flowerpanda
Hey there! I'm currently about to go into Year 11, and looking to A-level courses, and sixth forms. I'd like to take veterinary medicine as a career, although I know it's highly competitive, and I'm trying to keep an open mind.

At the moment, my predicted GCSE grades;
English (both) - 8
Maths (inc. further) - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7 (hoping to get it up to an 8 if possible)
Physics - 7
Business - 8
Geography - 7
Latin - 8
RE - 9 (completed early)

I'm looking into taking Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and potentially psychology as a-levels, although any feedback on these would be great! I'm struggling on what to choose, haha!

If anyone has any advice about sixth forms would be appreciated, I've been looking into LAE, Westminster etc. However, I'm in South London, so they all require a bit of travelling (which I'm not opposed to!)

Does anyone have any advice, or feedback? Thank you!

Go to a sixth form where you’ll be challenged and be around like-minded people. Being around students of similar ability will motivate you to do better. And also, more selective sixth forms generally do have lots of additional stuff like super curriculars that would make you stand out when applying to uni! Travel within reasonable distance (I wouldn’t recommend longer than half an hour) because you have to do this twice a day, every day for 2 years and that will take a toll!
Reply 3
Original post by subbhy
Go to a sixth form where you’ll be challenged and be around like-minded people. Being around students of similar ability will motivate you to do better. And also, more selective sixth forms generally do have lots of additional stuff like super curriculars that would make you stand out when applying to uni! Travel within reasonable distance (I wouldn’t recommend longer than half an hour) because you have to do this twice a day, every day for 2 years and that will take a toll!

..and be realistic about how long it will actually take to get there as all too often people don’t factor in enough wait time for bus/trains, things often going wrong, adding contingency to ensure you get their on time, London traffic, particularly rush hour etc etc.
Original post by lalexm
Don’t travel too far. It is not worth it I’m my opinion. You will get tired, which could negatively impact your studies, plus many unis these days look at results in to context of the school you got them in, so if you get say AAA in one of the highest achieving schools, it is not quite as good as getting the same grades in an average school. I’d recommend going to a school nearby, even if it just average/decent rather than outstanding.

Thank you! Unfortunately, we don't have any schools less than 45 minutes away, other than my current school's sixth form. I've had a bit of a tough time with a few people in my year, and would ideally like to leave, and start fresh somewhere else. Although, the nearer the better, aha!
Original post by subbhy

Thank you! Unfortunately, other than my current school's sixth form (which for personal reasons, I'm not looking to attend) - all other are 45+ minutes away :frown: You make a really good point in terms of additional activities/extra-curriculars, I'll keep it in mind, thanks :smile:
Original post by lalexm
..and be realistic about how long it will actually take to get there as all too often people don’t factor in enough wait time for bus/trains, things often going wrong, adding contingency to ensure you get their on time, London traffic, particularly rush hour etc etc.

Thank you! I'll make sure to keep it in mind, I appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
You said you live in South London, so the likes of LAE, NCS, and Brampton Academy will presumably be way too far to commute daily. I don't know of any particularly reputable sixth forms in South London, but Harris Clapham might be a shout, and Harris Westminster (which I'll be graduating from) is also quite good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending