The Student Room Group

maths A-level: structure classes

Could anyone tell me how Maths are taught in Y12?
1. Get the students one subject (like calculus) every class until that subject is finished or do they e.g. have calculus on two specific days in the week and another subject like algebra on two other days?
2. What subjects (Maths) are taught in the first weeks of the school year?
3. Are there group assignments for Maths?

I am writing a book that is partly set in Wales and I want to make it realistic. That is pretty hard because, as a Belgian, I am not very familiar with the school system.

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by Anna Moors
Could anyone tell me how Maths are taught in Y12?
1. Get the students one subject (like calculus) every class until that subject is finished or do they e.g. have calculus on two specific days in the week and another subject like algebra on two other days?
2. What subjects (Maths) are taught in the first weeks of the school year?
3. Are there group assignments for Maths?

I am writing a book that is partly set in Wales and I want to make it realistic. That is pretty hard because, as a Belgian, I am not very familiar with the school system.

Thanks for your help!

Of course it varies between schools but here's a typical example:

Students will be taught the core maths syllabus and the applied maths (mechanics or statistics) syllabus at the same time. Often you'll have one teacher teaching the core content some days during the week and another teacher teaching applied.

The core content starts with algebra (mainly GCSE revision - this would be covered in the first few weeks). You also have topics like sequences, cooridinate geometry and calculus. Normally a teacher will complete one topic before moving on to the next. You wouldn't normallly have e.g. calculus and sequences taught at the same time.

In the first few weeks a student may start the applied content (with a different teacher) so that could be something related to 'mathematical modelling' in either mechanics or statistics. Or maybe Newton's laws in mechanics or data representation in statistics.
Reply 2
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest