The Student Room Group

How necessary is further maths for econ?

Im picking my course options for sixth form and i have chose maths, physics and economics. I want to do economics at uni, more specifically, Warwick or UCl, and i was just wondering, how important is further maths actually? I know it does help, but my college do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13, and i really dont like that structure and i feel i wouldnt do as good as like any other a level in two years. If that wasnt the case, i woudve taken further maths no problem. So, is it worth really taking the risk and picking it for that (presumably small) advantage?
Thank you.
Honestly after this year I would say it is necessary even for unis who are ranked slightly below Warwick and UCL such as Durham etc. who are rejecting those with further maths and all A* in it and the rest of their subjects for pure econ so not having further maths will only hurt your chances imo.
Original post by salami.
Im picking my course options for sixth form and i have chose maths, physics and economics. I want to do economics at uni, more specifically, Warwick or UCl, and i was just wondering, how important is further maths actually? I know it does help, but my college do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13, and i really dont like that structure and i feel i wouldnt do as good as like any other a level in two years. If that wasnt the case, i woudve taken further maths no problem. So, is it worth really taking the risk and picking it for that (presumably small) advantage?
Thank you.
It's not a small advantage. There is a lot of maths in an Economics course at university, and Further Maths will be taken into account. But it's not the be all end all at the same time, so only do it if you're confident you'll be able to do well in it.
Original post by salami.
Thank you.

Just thought I'd add that if your only concern is doing Maths in Year 12 and Further Maths in Year 13, then it may be worth still giving it a try. That's how I did it and most of my class found this structure much easier as we didn't have to worry about FM prerequisites, we could apply with an A-Level already under our belt, and we could focus on just the one A-Level in Year 12. Also, if you change your mind, you could just drop back to single Maths and just be ahead for a couple of months. The deadline to withdraw from an A-Level registration is often April at the latest (though you may incur a late fee), at which point you may have a better understanding of how well you'll be doing.
Reply 4
Original post by melancollege
Just thought I'd add that if your only concern is doing Maths in Year 12 and Further Maths in Year 13, then it may be worth still giving it a try. That's how I did it and most of my class found this structure much easier as we didn't have to worry about FM prerequisites, we could apply with an A-Level already under our belt, and we could focus on just the one A-Level in Year 12. Also, if you change your mind, you could just drop back to single Maths and just be ahead for a couple of months. The deadline to withdraw from an A-Level registration is often April at the latest (though you may incur a late fee), at which point you may have a better understanding of how well you'll be doing.
But if you drop further maths in year 12, after a few months then you are only doing 2 a levels, how will you be able to swap to something else soo far in?
Original post by salami.
But if you drop further maths in year 12, after a few months then you are only doing 2 a levels, how will you be able to swap to something else soo far in?

My apologies, I thought you were talking about it as a fourth option. That's not to say you need four, of course; three should suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest