The Student Room Group

Studying Imperial MEng Chemical Engineering course

I was wondering is anyone could let me know what the course structure for Chem Eng at ICL is like and how different a degree is from Alevels. E.g Do you get given a course spec and past papers to complete and mark from like at A-Levels? If not, how would you change your revision methods to adhere to a university degree?
Additionally, how much of the degree is coursework?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by a298
I was wondering is anyone could let me know what the course structure for Chem Eng at ICL is like and how different a degree is from Alevels. E.g Do you get given a course spec and past papers to complete and mark from like at A-Levels? If not, how would you change your revision methods to adhere to a university degree?

You should check with the undergraduate prospectus and follow up with open days to discuss course structure.

University is very different to A-levels, most universities will as standard provide 2 or 3 previous past papers for every exam you sit. Exams will likely come twice per year at the end of every semester (generally) and you may get 4-6 exams per semester in engineering. Coursework will be a moderate chunk id estimate approximately 30% but it is very varied from lab reports, presentations, group projects, individual assignments & a dissertation.
Hey, I graduated from Chem Eng at Imperial last year, not necessarily a spec, but there's lecture slides and lecture notes etc, theres problem sheets to practice and also past papers and mark schemes to practice too. Id say revision is the same but it is conceptually harder so expect to be thinking more and revising harder
Original post by mnot
You should check with the undergraduate prospectus and follow up with open days to discuss course structure.

University is very different to A-levels, most universities will as standard provide 2 or 3 previous past papers for every exam you sit. Exams will likely come twice per year at the end of every semester (generally) and you may get 4-6 exams per semester in engineering. Coursework will be a moderate chunk id estimate approximately 30% but it is very varied from lab reports, presentations, group projects, individual assignments & a dissertation.

This is all true, for chem eng though all the exams were at the end of the year whereas other engineering courses had them split in the summer and after christmas. But it's swings and roundabouts. On one side chem eng students can actually enjoy their christmas break but on the flipside summer exams are brutal because there are loads.
Original post by a298

I’ve just completed my first year imperial ChemEng. This is on the programme specification which I’ll link, but the structure of 1st year is 20% Coursework, 10% Practical, 70% Exams. And every following year the coursework percentage increases and exams decreases.

In 1st year there are 8 modules and some are taught only in autumn term or only in spring term and others are taught across the whole year (maths and thermodynamics). The exams I had this year were Christmas Test, Spring Test and then Summer Exams. The Christmas Test was at the end of the autumn term and had no weighting at all to our final year grade so were just mocks basically. Then the spring test counted towards 10% of our year, and summer exams are 80%, with some courseworks filling in the remaining percentage. We got given loads of past papers and mark schemes, especially for modules where the specification hasn’t rlly changed much like thermo and maths, so you have lots of material to prepare with.

Specification: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/study/programme-specifications/chem-eng/22x2f23/H801-MEng-Chemical-Engineering-2022-23.pdf
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by fortified_shi
I’ve just completed my first year imperial ChemEng. This is on the programme specification which I’ll link, but the structure of 1st year is 20% Coursework, 10% Practical, 70% Exams. And every following year the coursework percentage increases and exams decreases.

In 1st year there are 8 modules and some are taught only in autumn term or only in spring term and others are taught across the whole year (maths and thermodynamics). The exams I had this year were Christmas Test, Spring Test and then Summer Exams. The Christmas Test was at the end of the autumn term and had no weighting at all to our final year grade so we’re just mocks basically. Then the spring test counted towards 10% of our year, and summer exams are 80%, with some courseworks filling in the remaining percentage. We got given loads of past papers and mark schemes, especially for modules where the specification hasn’t rlly changed much like thermo and maths, so you have lots of material to prepare with.

Specification: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/study/programme-specifications/chem-eng/22x2f23/H801-MEng-Chemical-Engineering-2022-23.pdf

This is so helpful, thank you! Also, did you have to do much coding? If so, would you recommend learning to code the summer before uni or just learn it as it is taught during term?
Original post by a298
This is so helpful, thank you! Also, did you have to do much coding? If so, would you recommend learning to code the summer before uni or just learn it as it is taught during term?

Yes, we coded in autumn term. We did MATLAB were u’d have to submit code with weekly deadlines. There’s enough classes to learn it fine during term. Also for matlab, you can get a load of help from coursemates and do it together and everything so it’s quite collaborative. I don’t think anyone had prepared for it before coming to uni but it definitely won’t harm to learn some.
Also it is just a pass/fail course so your submitted code gets reviewed every week by a PhD student and they’ll either pass it or send it back to u to alter and resubmit with it all working.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest