The Student Room Group

Oxidation of secondary alcohol help needed

yhb.png For this question, it later asks about how propan-2-ol will react in this 2 part experiment.

So the first part shows complete oxidation and the second is the partial oxidation only.

I don't understand why secondary alcohol will can be distilled (in the second part of the experiment) to also form a ketone. I thought the conditions to turn a secondary alcohol to a ketone must be to heat under reflux and use excess dichromate? How can it also be distilled to form a ketone?

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
yhb.png For this question, it later asks about how propan-2-ol will react in this 2 part experiment.

So the first part shows complete oxidation and the second is the partial oxidation only.

I don't understand why secondary alcohol will can be distilled (in the second part of the experiment) to also form a ketone. I thought the conditions to turn a secondary alcohol to a ketone must be to heat under reflux and use excess dichromate? How can it also be distilled to form a ketone?

Thanks

You don't need particularly harsh conditions to oxidise a secondary alcohol to a ketone. So both procedures here will do the job.

This is different from a primary alcohol like ethanol where a weak oxidising agent will turn it into an aldehyde and a strong oxidising agent will turn it into a carboxylic acid
Reply 2
Original post by langlitz
You don't need particularly harsh conditions to oxidise a secondary alcohol to a ketone. So both procedures here will do the job.

This is different from a primary alcohol like ethanol where a weak oxidising agent will turn it into an aldehyde and a strong oxidising agent will turn it into a carboxylic acid

What about the reagent then? Does it need to be in excess for secondary alcohol to be oxidised?

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
What about the reagent then? Does it need to be in excess for secondary alcohol to be oxidised?

Thanks

If you are distilling off the ketone then it shouldn't matter, you will still get the ketone (but it wouldn't go to completion of course)
Reply 4
Original post by langlitz
If you are distilling off the ketone then it shouldn't matter, you will still get the ketone (but it wouldn't go to completion of course)

I meant if I am to heat the secondary alcohol under reflux to produce the ketone (since this also works), will an excess amount of reagent needed in this case?

Quick Reply

Latest