The Student Room Group

Alevel Chemistry HELP

How do you know the products of reactions?? everyone seems to just know and i feel abit silly pls help esp the exam questions that ask 'what do you observe' and 'write a equation'
Original post by itsvarr
How do you know the products of reactions?? everyone seems to just know and i feel abit silly pls help esp the exam questions that ask 'what do you observe' and 'write a equation'

Ik a great chemistry tutor that’s really good and helped me get an A* in A-level chemistry, if you’re struggling with chem, try emailing him and he’ll help you!
[email protected]
Original post by itsvarr

Depends on what reaction you are conducting. You can learn a few general reactions from GCSE, for example:

H2O (l) + metal —> metal hydroxide + H2

H2O (g) + metal —> metal oxide + H2

Element + oxygen —> oxide

Element + halogen —> halide

Acid + metal —> salt + H2

Acid + metal oxide or hydroxide —> salt + H2O

Acid + metal carbonate —> salt + H2O + CO2

Hydrocarbon + excess O2 —> CO2 + H2O

Hydrocarbon + O2 (not in excess) —> mixture of C, CO, CO2 and H2O

Alkene + H2 —> alkane

For period 3, there are some more specific reactions to cover:

Nonmetal oxide + H2O —> acid (e.g SO3 + H2O —> H2SO4)

Nonmetal oxide + NaOH —> salt + H2O (e.g P4O10 + 12NaOH —> 4Na3PO4 + 6H2O, SiO2 + 2NaOH —> Na2SiO3 + H2O)

Amphoteric character of aluminium oxide and hydroxide:

Al2O3 + 6H^+ —> 2Al^3+ + 3H2O
Al2O3 + 2OH^- + 3H2O —> 2Al(OH)4^-

Al(OH)3(H2O)3 + 3H^+ —> Al^3+ + 6H2O
Al(OH)3(H2O)3 + OH^- —> Al(OH)4^- + 3H2O
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by itsvarr

If you are able to recognize the class of materials the educts, it is easier to determine the products. Of course you need to know the products to them too. @TypicalNerd gave enough examples.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest