The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ash Music Scholarship Applicants (2017 Entry)

I was wondering if anyone on TSR is planning to apply for the scholarship. What instrument are you applying for and what grade are you at?

I'm currently writing the letter and it sounds rather boastful- I didn't want to give off that vibe but that's the only way I can detail relevant musical experience.
Reply 1
I am! How are you writing your letter? I'm so lost because there isn't a form to fill it's just... write a letter? I really have no idea how much to write about... Though I guess coming off slightly boastful but accurately listing all the stuff you've done is better than skipping things out for modesty's sake.

I'm actually undecided between piano and violin atm... Have a diploma in piano, and will hopefully have one in violin (ABRSM results are out next week, eek!).

How about you, what instrument will you applying for? Do you have an idea of what you want to play? :smile:

(also I hovered over your profile, hECK YEAH KPOP)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by aldotjpg
I am! How are you writing your letter? I'm so lost because there isn't a form to fill it's just... write a letter? I really have no idea how much to write about... Though I guess coming off slightly boastful but accurately listing all the stuff you've done is better than skipping things out for modesty's sake.

I'm actually undecided between piano and violin atm... Have a diploma in piano, and will hopefully have one in violin (ABRSM results are out next week, eek!).

How about you, what instrument will you applying for? Do you have an idea of what you want to play? :smile:

(also I hovered over your profile, hECK YEAH KPOP)

I'm still waiting for my cello teacher to give me his recommendation... it's seriously getting annoying since I've told him about it more than a month ago and constantly reminded him :frown: I guess if he decides not to give me one I'll either go with no teacher recommendation or write a short one by myself == It should be fine?

Yeah I'm gonna apply for cello coz I've got atcl dipabrsm and ltcl :biggrin: yeah I've got half a piano diploma (I failed viva voce lol) as well but I'll have to retake it soon, it's nearly the 3 year deadline since I took it last time ><

And yasss kpop!
Reply 3
Original post by KarenL
I'm still waiting for my cello teacher to give me his recommendation... it's seriously getting annoying since I've told him about it more than a month ago and constantly reminded him :frown: I guess if he decides not to give me one I'll either go with no teacher recommendation or write a short one by myself == It should be fine?

Yeah I'm gonna apply for cello coz I've got atcl dipabrsm and ltcl :biggrin: yeah I've got half a piano diploma (I failed viva voce lol) as well but I'll have to retake it soon, it's nearly the 3 year deadline since I took it last time ><

And yasss kpop!

ugh, I know the feeling. hopefully my teacher will give me mine tomorrow... maybe add a bit in your letter explaining that he didn't get it in on time?? :') it should be okay in the end, though!

woooo so many!! all dem letters after your name aHAHAHA. hey, at least you only need to redo the viva, right? not the whooooole exam. I'm sure it'll be fine!

I'm really nervous about the whole shortlisting thing though, have no idea how many are applying. and I'm still doubting my "letter" ahaha. how on earth did you start and end yours?!
Reply 4
ugh, I know the feeling. hopefully my teacher will give me mine tomorrow... maybe add a bit in your letter explaining that he didn't get it in on time?? :':wink: it should be okay in the end, though!

woooo so many!! all dem letters after your name aHAHAHA. hey, at least you only need to redo the viva, right? not the whooooole exam. I'm sure it'll be fine!

I'm really nervous about the whole shortlisting thing though, have no idea how many are applying. and I'm still doubting my "letter" ahaha. how on earth did you start and end yours?!

I basically just wrote everything I've done in the past in the letter--- accomplishments, awards, where I've performed in and stuff like that haha and I ended it with something about time-management between music and academics :biggrin:

Yeah I guess I might add a short letter explaining that my teacher didn't give it to me on time and I'll just copy what he wrote on my school report onto the letter..

When are you gonna send it in? I'm thinking Sunday or Monday... maybe I'll wait for my teacher's reference until Monday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by KarenL
I basically just wrote everything I've done in the past in the letter--- accomplishments, awards, where I've performed in and stuff like that haha and I ended it with something about time-management between music and academics :biggrin:

Yeah I guess I might add a short letter explaining that my teacher didn't give it to me on time and I'll just copy what he wrote on my school report onto the letter..

When are you gonna send it in? I'm thinking Sunday or Monday... maybe I'll wait for my teacher's reference until Monday.

oh that's a good idea, about the school report thing! I might steal that idea too 😅 I just got a new teacher last term so everything's a bit wacky :'( I'll probably send it first class on Sunday... not sure how strict they are with the deadline.
I just had a thought, maybe you could ask for Richard's email in the letter, so if your teacher does produce a reference in the end, he could email it to him instead?

and this isn't about music, but.. what course did you get an offer for then? mine was chem and molecular physics :smile:
Reply 6
oh that's a good idea, about the school report thing! I might steal that idea too 😅 I just got a new teacher last term so everything's a bit wacky :'( I'll probably send it first class on Sunday... not sure how strict they are with the deadline.
I just had a thought, maybe you could ask for Richard's email in the letter, so if your teacher does produce a reference in the end, he could email it to him instead?

and this isn't about music, but.. what course did you get an offer for then? mine was chem and molecular physics :smile:

Mine was for geology :u: your course sounds so hard!! My teacher just gave me his reference, so I'll send it just now!
Reply 7
Original post by KarenL
Mine was for geology :u: your course sounds so hard!! My teacher just gave me his reference, so I'll send it just now!

ooh nice! I forgot that the post office isn't open of Sundays, I'll have to send it tomorrow ahaha. good luck to us both then :biggrin:
Reply 8
ooh nice! I forgot that the post office isn't open of Sundays, I'll have to send it tomorrow ahaha. good luck to us both then :biggrin:

I got an audition! Did you?
Reply 9
Original post by KarenL
I got an audition! Did you?

I did too!! when's yours? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending