The Student Room Group

Frozen on revision

Basically. I've got 9 GCSEs to revise for and 2 of them (Computing and German) I still have to learn all of the syllabus for because my teachers left and I have just been getting cover teachers until about 4 weeks ago.

I am slacking in English quite badly, I need to get minimum of a 6 and I can never get above a 5.

And I just don't know where to start, there's so many topics I have yet to learn... basically frozen and rather panicked XD Just wanted to ask watta do watta start with yagetmi
Reply 1
Original post by ClassyBubble01
Basically. I've got 9 GCSEs to revise for and 2 of them (Computing and German) I still have to learn all of the syllabus for because my teachers left and I have just been getting cover teachers until about 4 weeks ago.

I am slacking in English quite badly, I need to get minimum of a 6 and I can never get above a 5.

And I just don't know where to start, there's so many topics I have yet to learn... basically frozen and rather panicked XD Just wanted to ask watta do watta start with yagetmi

First thing is to understand your strengths and weaknesses. Write a list of all the topics in a subject, and all the characters and themes for the books you're doing in English. If you highlight the ones that are a priority you can use that to make a timetable.

If you have forgotten about the books you are doing in English, I would listen to the audiobook or read them again. Then make quotes and analysis for the characters. Most people use mind maps, which is helpful as you can easily see the information. For me, what got my grade up was focusing on subject terminology (verbs, metaphors etc...) and what effect it had on the audience. It's worth coming up with a list of subject terminology and its effect on the audience. For example, Sibilance (repetition of the 's' sound) is sometimes used to make the text have a soft tone.

For German, use MEMRISE. This app is so helpful in learning vocabulary, or you could use quizlet. Honestly, doing past papers for German and learning the vocabulary should be enough.

For science, watch MyGCSEScience videos or other channels on youtube, then do LOADS of past paper questions. You can know the whole syllabus, but if you cannot answer in the way the exam board wants, then you will lose marks. Don't worry about writing notes as they can be too time-consuming. Make recourses that will actually help you memorise the info, like mindmaps or posters etc. rather than just copying BBC Bitesize word for word. You can still write notes if you like but make sure its in your own words.

Good luck. Ask me any questions if you need extra help.
Original post by Saph00x
First thing is to understand your strengths and weaknesses. Write a list of all the topics in a subject, and all the characters and themes for the books you're doing in English. If you highlight the ones that are a priority you can use that to make a timetable.

If you have forgotten about the books you are doing in English, I would listen to the audiobook or read them again. Then make quotes and analysis for the characters. Most people use mind maps, which is helpful as you can easily see the information. For me, what got my grade up was focusing on subject terminology (verbs, metaphors etc...) and what effect it had on the audience. It's worth coming up with a list of subject terminology and its effect on the audience. For example, Sibilance (repetition of the 's' sound) is sometimes used to make the text have a soft tone.

For German, use MEMRISE. This app is so helpful in learning vocabulary, or you could use quizlet. Honestly, doing past papers for German and learning the vocabulary should be enough.

For science, watch MyGCSEScience videos or other channels on youtube, then do LOADS of past paper questions. You can know the whole syllabus, but if you cannot answer in the way the exam board wants, then you will lose marks. Don't worry about writing notes as they can be too time-consuming. Make recourses that will actually help you memorise the info, like mindmaps or posters etc. rather than just copying BBC Bitesize word for word. You can still write notes if you like but make sure its in your own words.

Good luck. Ask me any questions if you need extra help.

Thank you, this helps a lot. It has been a week since this post and only read this now - tragic. I'm going to definitely use these tips!

Quick Reply

Latest