The Student Room Group

Home for a Weekend Job

I’ve worked for a well-known frozen-food retailer throughout sixth form, and resigned just before exam season so I could factor in revision.

However, I’ve recently made the questionable decision of getting rehired at the same company but at a different store…

Results day went well for me, and I will be heading to Lancaster Uni in October.

My issue arises when I think of fulfilling my 7.5hr contract at work. The train journey from where I live to Lancaster is around 2 hours, so technically I could travel home on weekends, work the weekend, then go back to Lancaster.

Of course, this sounds crazy, but I really don’t want to let my new manager down, as I only returned to the company three weeks ago, and over the years they have done so much for me!

Any advice is greatly received :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Regan_AV
I’ve worked for a well-known frozen-food retailer throughout sixth form, and resigned just before exam season so I could factor in revision.

However, I’ve recently made the questionable decision of getting rehired at the same company but at a different store…

Results day went well for me, and I will be heading to Lancaster Uni in October.

My issue arises when I think of fulfilling my 7.5hr contract at work. The train journey from where I live to Lancaster is around 2 hours, so technically I could travel home on weekends, work the weekend, then go back to Lancaster.

Of course, this sounds crazy, but I really don’t want to let my new manager down, as I only returned to the company three weeks ago, and over the years they have done so much for me!

Providing you are 100% happy about traveling to and from Lancaster each weekend then do it. Sounds like you liked it there previously.

Can't you perhaps get a job with same frozen food retailer where you are studying......??

Hi!

Congratulations on your results and offer at Lancaster!

If you enjoy the job and are happy to travel home at the weekends then it isn't crazy at all! Maybe try it to start with and then if the commitment along with 2-hour travel ends up being too much to fit in you could ask if it is possible to transfer stores to one closer to Lancaster. If this isn't possible there are lots of part-time student jobs available in Lancaster, both with the university and with different cafes, shops and bars in Lancaster itself!

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Reply 3
Thank you both so much for your replies! :smile:

I’ve spoken with my manager, and he is cool with keeping me on weekends when the time comes. I’ll give it a go, and see how things pan out.
Reply 4

I’ve spoken with my manager, and he is cool with keeping me on weekends when the time comes. I’ll give it a go, and see how things pan out.

You are welcome 🤗🤗

That's all you can do is give it a try and see how it works out for you as you'll not know what it is until you try it.

Good luck with everything and hopefully you'll stay working with your frozen food retailer if things goes well ❤️*🩹
Reply 5

Other considerations are:

1. If you have coursework to do, would you be happy taking all the required notes and textbooks home? What if you need to get together for a group project or reference material in a library?

2. You could be missing out on activities and social events at weekends, or even during the week if you try to get as much as possible of your studies done to leave the weekend free for your job. This is a big thing with Fresher's and the early days at uni.

3. Are you going to be making enough money to cover travel, and maybe a contribution to being home over a weekend?

If you are happy coming home for the weekend, then yes keep your job on at weekends.
There is also the other option of transferring to a store nearer uni (then coming back to your current store during xmas and the summer when you arent at uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending