The Student Room Group

Long-Lasting University Food

My uni meal plan consists of two pots of yoghurt, two scoops of pea protein, a portion of frozen berries and frozen mixed vegetables, peanut butter, seeds and a catered meal. This works out super cheap (around £3 a day). My parents have said they are willing to buy me a 'big' shop before I leave, so I was wondering if there is any non-fridge, healthy, long lasting foods I can eat. I'm thinking a massive bag of lentils - can eat them by themselves, or cook them into a soup with stock cubes and frozen vegetables.

Bonus points for stuff that is hard to 'snack on' by themselves (e.g. not raisins/nuts, as I may end up eating through an entire bag in one go).

Anything else?
(edited 9 months ago)
Rice? Sardines? Alcohol?

I will say, I much prefer tinned lentils because you just have to wash off the saponins and heat up, whereas dried lentils take like 20 mins to prepare.

Other than tinned veg, I'm not sure. Most of the stuff you want for nutrients is fresh produce.

Does your accom not give you a fridge?
(edited 9 months ago)
lentils are a good idea and I would probably recommend pasta as they are both so versatile and dried pasta won’t really go off
Original post by crashcody
My uni meal plan consists of two pots of yoghurt, two scoops of pea protein, a portion of frozen berries and frozen mixed vegetables, peanut butter, seeds and a catered meal. This works out super cheap (around £3 a day). My parents have said they are willing to buy me a 'big' shop before I leave, so I was wondering if there is any non-fridge, healthy, long lasting foods I can eat. I'm thinking a massive bag of lentils - can eat them by themselves, or cook them into a soup with stock cubes and frozen vegetables.

Bonus points for stuff that is hard to 'snack on' by themselves (e.g. not raisins/nuts, as I may end up eating through an entire bag in one go).

Anything else?

Anything food cupboard-wise is good. Dried rice/pasta/couscous, stock pots/cubes, tinned goods of all kinds (tinned vegetables, soup, chickpeas, etc), dried lentils or beans (although these take more time to prepare as you need to soak them first overnight usually I gather if dried), any kinds of dried herbs, spices, seasonings (these are often relatively expensive to get a full "range" as well rather than just replacing individual ones as you use them, so probably a good option to stock up on), stuff like that.

Also any baking-related goods you might need - flour (useful outside of baking as well for thickening sauces and making the bases of some kinds of sauces), baking powder/soda, sugar (different kinds of needed), salt, cornstarch, stuff like that. Even if you aren't a "baker" at the very least having some plain flour and cornstarch in the cupboard is always useful.

I'd avoid going overboard on frozen stuff until you know how much freezer space there is - don't want to take up all the freezer drawers by yourself when they are to be shared between 6 people (probably wouldn't be a great introduction!). Some bits and bobs are fine but remember it's very likely there's may be one freezer drawer per 1.5-2 people in the flat if this is first year halls.
Another vote for pasta, and rice, soups etc. You can get quite a variety of flavours from Aldi these days :tongue: Baked beans are good to have in. Long life milk too if you're OK with that (some people don't like it flavour wise, but personally I find it's alright). Breadcrumbs, gravy packets etc.

Basically go for heavy stuff, - my parents send me with a box of that kind of stuff at the start of the year and it's brilliant to have in, especially since that's the stuff I don't want to shop for normally as I don't want to lug it around.
Reply 5
Oats (you could add your protein to this!) ; part-baked bread, canned veg, dried beans/chickpeas, pasta, instant soups (or canned); baking goods (flour, baking powder, sugar etc); maybe instant mash?

Quick Reply

Latest