The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Support real music and boycott this event.
Original post by KingHarold

Sacrilege! :headfire::mob:
Original post by bizzy_penguin
so much for "celebrating diversity" :frown: ( three male presenters too)
politics isn't meant to be there but this obviously shows it still exists - like you just said
I wonder if they will let her in the country at the last minute...the eurovision broadcasting thing said they're trying to cooperate/work with ukraine on it (something ike that)

Tbh there is very little diversity this year :frown: And yeah I'm confused by the host choices too

Yep politics just continues to ruin Eurovision, although nowadays I watch it for the songs not the voting :tongue:

I'm not sure, we'll have to see......
Original post by Snufkin
Sacrilege! :headfire::mob:

IKR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mob::goaway::mob:
Reply 44
so much for "celebrating diversity" :frown: ( three male presenters too)
politics isn't meant to be there but this obviously shows it still exists - like you just said
I wonder if they will let her in the country at the last minute...the eurovision broadcasting thing said they're trying to cooperate/work with ukraine on it (something ike that)

It was the Ukranian government that banned her, not the EBU. I doubt Eurovision will be able to get this overturned, it's no secret that Russians are not especially popular in Ukraine right now. The question is whether Russia will try and enter a different act, or just withdraw from the contest completely. AFAIK the entry deadline has passed though, so the latter option is looking most likely right now I think.
Original post by Dez
It was the Ukranian government that banned her, not the EBU. I doubt Eurovision will be able to get this overturned, it's no secret that Russians are not especially popular in Ukraine right now. The question is whether Russia will try and enter a different act, or just withdraw from the contest completely. AFAIK the entry deadline has passed though, so the latter option is looking most likely right now I think.

Yeah she's gonna perform by satellite in the 2nd semi and if she gets through to the grand the same rules apply.

Crazy stuff...
Original post by Dr_Roxx1574
Yeah she's gonna perform by satellite in the 2nd semi and if she gets through to the grand the same rules apply.

Crazy stuff...

Aparrently both Russia and Ukraine declined the offer for her to perform via satellite link, and we haven't heard anything else since so who knows :dontknow:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Aparrently both Russia and Ukraine declined the offer for her to perform via satellite link, and we haven't heard anything else since so who knows :dontknow:

I feel sorry for Ukraine, they're being made to look like the bad guys. Russia knew about this rule and they knew their singer would be denied entry, yet they they chose her anyway.
May the 13th's going to be absolutely lovely :yes:

Doctor Who

Eurovision

Britain's got Talent

all on 1 night <*bliss*>
May the 13th's going to be absolutely lovely :yes:

Doctor Who

Eurovision

Britain's got Talent

all on 1 night <*bliss*>

Doctor Who is OK
Boycott Eurovision
Original post by barnetlad
Doctor Who is OK
Boycott Eurovision

lalalalalalalala<covers ears> I can't hear you... :biggrin:
Original post by Snufkin
I feel sorry for Ukraine, they're being made to look like the bad guys. Russia knew about this rule and they knew their singer would be denied entry, yet they they chose her anyway.

That's true, I think Russia is purposefully being awkward to see how Ukraine will react....... They're obviously not over last year :rolleyes:

Boycott Eurovision

Don't even talk to me:hand:
Original post by KingHarold

Doctor Who is OK
Boycott Eurovision

:shock::shock::shock::shock:
[video="youtube;QMK4h4sFFIM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMK4h4sFFIM&list=PLx4gG36uAVXGJtkQ20osfZVBOv p3n5NWM&index=168[/video]
If anyone's interested, this is my first Eurovision memory, my parents showed me the 2006 semifinal and this was my favourite back then, I was so upset this didnt qualify and still am :cry:
Reply 54
Russia has withdrawn from the Eurovision Song Contest

Quite sad that it's come to this. Whatever your thoughts on the whole Russia/Ukraine thing, having politics cause such an issue with what is supposed to be a light entertainment show is pretty unfortunate I think.

There's also some rumours floating about that the EBU may sanction Ukraine over what's happened, possibly even banning them from attending future contests. But no official statement has been made so far.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dez

Quite sad that it's come to this. Whatever your thoughts on the whole Russia/Ukraine thing, having politics cause such an issue with what is supposed to be a light entertainment show is pretty unfortunate I think.

There's also some rumours floating about that the EBU may sanction Ukraine over what's happened, possibly even banning them from attending future contests. But no official statement has been made so far.

It's a shame but tbh it seemed inevitable....
This has kinda overshadowed the whole thing but I suppose that's what Russia wanted.....to make it awkward for Ukraine

Tbh that would be unfair, I know they could have let her participate, but I think Russia was seeing if they could get away with it and this case they didn't

BTW whats your favourite song so far :h:
Original post by Dez

I don't think it's sad. It's pretty obvious that the Kremlin orchestrated this whole thing to make Ukraine look bad. The competition is better without Russian political games, in my view. I hope the EBU does not ban Ukraine, they were put in an impossible position.
guess they're gonna start playing the Eurovision songs on the radio now soon :tongue: I've just heard the uk entry on radio 2
Original post by IKEAPanda37

guess who's not performing now :unimpressed:
my eurovision scoreboard app is a wonderful thing... :u: :u:

Latest