The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 03B - 10th of May, 2017

Hi guys.
I'm a bit nervous about chemistry unit 03 exams. Could anyone say me what experiments I should focus on.
And guys, we can share resources and questions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reshyna
Hi guys.
I'm a bit nervous about chemistry unit 03 exams. Could anyone say me what experiments I should focus on.
And guys, we can share resources and questions.

i havent started 2 and 3 yet,just done with unit 1,gosh i found it hard...i really need to work for 2 and 3
are you done with the syllabus for all?
Reply 2
Original post by sarah99630
i havent started 2 and 3 yet,just done with unit 1,gosh i found it hard...i really need to work for 2 and 3
are you done with the syllabus for all?

I'm done with the syllabus for 1 and 2. I'm not sure what to study in Unit 03.
Reply 3
For unit 3 it is mostly tests such as flame tests and how to test for halogenalkanes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ws7vka_m2eYVZLWGdPNUpXNjQ/view
My teacher gave this out for us, hope it helps!
Reply 7

Can someone explain why there is an increase in the temperature here even though the reaction is endothermic? And I basically don't understand the shape of the graph at all...
The paper is May 2015 unit 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Can someone explain why there is an increase in the temperature here even though the reaction is endothermic? And I basically don't understand the shape of the graph at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reaction is endothermic, so the reaction mixture cools quickly at the start to drop below room temperature. Then after the reaction is over, the temperature of the product mixture will rise back up as heat energy from the room is transferred to it. Leave it for long enough, and the solution will reach room temperature again.

It's like leaving a cube of ice in a room: it will melt, and its water will heat to room temperature because air molecules that collide with the liquid molecules will transfer some of their kinetic energy to the liquid molecules, and thus heat up the liquid.

That's the answer, by user @K-Man_PhysCheM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Whitefeather
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ws7vka_m2eYVZLWGdPNUpXNjQ/view
My teacher gave this out for us, hope it helps!

really helpful ,thanks
isnt the exam on the 9th?
The exam is on the 9th
Reply 12
Hello, I'm doing unit 3B tomorrow too! I haven't studied unit 1 or 2 though.. i had to study for other exams :/
Does anyone have any tips for some quick revision or anything like that? I don't expect to get anything above a C :ashamed:
Well I would say just do past papers because I studied unit 1 and 3. It is mainly laboratory skills and memorisations
Original post by Daiski
Hello, I'm doing unit 3B tomorrow too! I haven't studied unit 1 or 2 though.. i had to study for other exams :/
Does anyone have any tips for some quick revision or anything like that? I don't expect to get anything above a C :ashamed:

Learn the process of purifying an organic liquid. It always comes in the paper. Revise enthalpy changes and you have to know the test for anions and cations and some imp compounds. Revise test for organic compounds as well. And last of all, do past papers. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Droneon
Learn the process of purifying an organic liquid. It always comes in the paper. Revise enthalpy changes and you have to know the test for anions and cations and some imp compounds. Revise test for organic compounds as well. And last of all, do past papers. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Will do :biggrin:
Original post by Daiski
Thank you so much! Will do :biggrin:

Anytime :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
if u learn the tests for anion cations gases and flame tests as well as tests for organic liquids you will score 15 to 20 marks just like that so make sure u know them!
I seem to have a problem with Hess' diagram. Does anyone have some advice or anything that can help me?
Original post by Micrometer101
I seem to have a problem with Hess' diagram. Does anyone have some advice or anything that can help me?

If you know how the routes work then you're good to go. Cuz the rest is just addition and subtraction. You could try chemguide.com and read the lesson on there about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest