The Student Room Group

Past Paper Problem

So, everyone knows that one of the best methods of revision is doing past papers - but I have a problem.

Due to the fact that I've done all of the B1 papers, I've started re-doing them for revision and found myself getting pretty high marks (52/60), but the problem is, I'm not sure whether or not I got that mark because I know the content, or whether I got it because I'd remembered the answers from the mark scheme.

I have the same problem with some maths papers as well.

Is there any way to prevent this for other subjects, or are there any practise B1 papers that anyone could link me to?

Thank you!
you get used to answering the questions / understanding the layout and who knows, you might get similar questions
Reply 2
It is good to know the answers from the mark scheme, it shows that reading over it helped you answer and you understood the questions, did you do the working out? if so it shows that you knew how to go about it.
Original post by saffarinda
So, everyone knows that one of the best methods of revision is doing past papers - but I have a problem.

Due to the fact that I've done all of the B1 papers, I've started re-doing them for revision and found myself getting pretty high marks (52/60), but the problem is, I'm not sure whether or not I got that mark because I know the content, or whether I got it because I'd remembered the answers from the mark scheme.

Is there any way to prevent this for other subjects, or are there any practise B1 papers that anyone could link me to?

Thank you!

Try doing similar spec past papers from other exam boards. I do this with Chemistry, as I finished all of the past papers for the WJEC so I sometimes use AQA Chemistry past papers instead on the questions which apply to my syllabus.
Reply 4

Thank you!

I would use RoyalSheepy's advice and try using exam boards with similar content or do older specification past papers.
Reply 5
Original post by ggray554
It is good to know the answers from the mark scheme, it shows that reading over it helped you answer and you understood the questions, did you do the working out? if so it shows that you knew how to go about it.

For the maths, I did do the working out - but I'm not sure if I'd be able to replicate it with similar questions.
Reply 6
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Try doing similar spec past papers from other exam boards. I do this with Chemistry, as I finished all of the past papers for the WJEC so I sometimes use AQA Chemistry past papers instead on the questions which apply to my syllabus.

That's a good idea! Do you just search for questions related to a certain topic on google, or do you go through the papers of different exam boards finding questions that relate to your spec?
That's a good idea! Do you just search for questions related to a certain topic on google, or do you go through the papers of different exam boards finding questions that relate to your spec?

I just go through different exam board websites, look through their past papers, print them off then tick which ones apply to my syllabus and complete those. Sometimes even trying the questions which don't completely apply to your syllabus can be of some use. :smile:
Reply 8
I just go through different exam board websites, look through their past papers, print them off then tick which ones apply to my syllabus and complete those. Sometimes even trying the questions which don't completely apply to your syllabus can be of some use. :smile:

Thank you! I think I'll try that for Biology (I do AQA, so I might check out WJEC if you're doing the reverse for Chemistry:smile:)
Thank you! I think I'll try that for Biology (I do AQA, so I might check out WJEC if you're doing the reverse for Chemistry:smile:)

No problems! :smile: AQA and WJEC specs are rather similar to be fair, so I reckon WJEC papers shouldn't be that different.
Have you still got old Wjec chemistry past papers? What year onwards have you got from?

Where can I find Further Pure Maths IGCSE Regional papers like(JUNE 19 P1R)

Quick Reply

Latest