The Student Room Group

Is there a way to purely revise using past papers

I was wondering if you are able to revise purely using things such as past papers since i find that it takes a lot of time to make flashcards and other methods such as not taking just isn't working. If you are able to, what process would you go through. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Original post by CatSquid
I was wondering if you are able to revise purely using things such as past papers since i find that it takes a lot of time to make flashcards and other methods such as not taking just isn't working. If you are able to, what process would you go through. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi @CatSquid

I think using past exam papers is one of the best ways to revise, especially as you can get a feel for the exam but in your own space.

The way I used them when revising was to look over some content and roughly make notes on scrap paper for about 15 minutes. Then I'd take a 5/10 minute break, and then have a go at some past exam questions on the subject I'd just revised.

You can also use past papers in timed or untimed conditions. For example, for my history exam, I was worried about not having enough time to answer the longer questions, so I practiced in exam conditions to train myself to write in a short time. Whereas for science, I didn't time myself as I wanted to focus on writing clear, exact answer to higher mark questions to make sure I could pick up as many marks as possible.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @CatSquid

I think using past exam papers is one of the best ways to revise, especially as you can get a feel for the exam but in your own space.

The way I used them when revising was to look over some content and roughly make notes on scrap paper for about 15 minutes. Then I'd take a 5/10 minute break, and then have a go at some past exam questions on the subject I'd just revised.

You can also use past papers in timed or untimed conditions. For example, for my history exam, I was worried about not having enough time to answer the longer questions, so I practiced in exam conditions to train myself to write in a short time. Whereas for science, I didn't time myself as I wanted to focus on writing clear, exact answer to higher mark questions to make sure I could pick up as many marks as possible.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

thanks for the advice, ill be sure to try it out!

I didn't purely use past papers, it was... kinda restricted to the past paper questions, I also revised content so I could be more flexible.
Psychology - recite mark schemes for long questions (essays), it actually worked for me as I've already recited points.
Physics - reciting mark schemes didn't really work, need problem-solving. I mmessed up somewhat,. may not get A, take my advice with grain of salt. But you need problem solving like Isaac Physics.
Math - problem solving, I used different materials including UNderground Maths. STEP Support Program was slightly useful but only for extending and for mental stamina. I also expanded my horizons using other stuff like MAT. Not that useful but at least it helps with problem solving.

Take it with a grain of salt as I might not get straight A*/A in a level, maybe only A*AB which is a bit bad for me
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4

thats what im doing rn!
Reply 5
Original post by iluvvgyu
thats what im doing rn!

If you don't mind me asking, how are you using the past papers for revision. Either way, thanks for the confirmation that it's possible to use past papers for revision.
Reply 6
Original post by justlearning1469
I didn't purely use past papers, it was... kinda restricted to the past paper questions, I also revised content so I could be more flexible.
Psychology - recite mark schemes for long questions (essays), it actually worked for me as I've already recited points.
Physics - reciting mark schemes didn't really work, need problem-solving. I mmessed up somewhat,. may not get A, take my advice with grain of salt. But you need problem solving like Isaac Physics.
Math - problem solving, I used different materials including UNderground Maths. STEP Support Program was slightly useful but only for extending and for mental stamina. I also expanded my horizons using other stuff like MAT. Not that useful but at least it helps with problem solving.

Take it with a grain of salt as I might not get straight A*/A in a level, maybe only A*AB which is a bit bad for me

i'll try out some of the stuff you said. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest