The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse chemistry paper 2 2017

Poll

How many marks do you think you got?

Hello guys! Has anyone got any predictions for 2C , i need to do very well on this paper. Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Electrolysis: very little in paper 1 so there will probably be a q and it'll be on electrolysis of solutions. Equilibrium: was a q in paper 1 so there will not be much in paper 2, if it appears I'm guessing it'll be about dynamic equilibrium. Organic: Q in paper 1 on mainly alkane/alkene & polymers. So q in paper 2 may focus on alcohols and working out empirical formula. You also haven't yet been testing on difference between alkene + Br2 & alkane + Br2 Calculations: These will definitely appear in Paper 2 - due to those in paper 1 I think the focus will be on solution gas calculations. There might also be a Relative Atomic Mass calc early on in the paper too. Chemical tests: There were a lot of these in paper 1 so I doubt there will be many more. Bonding: Very little in paper 1 so will appear in paper 2 - guess will be ionic vs covalent comparison probably including giant covalent. (from my teachers)
2C or 2CR?
Reply 3
Original post by Tajriyan
2C or 2CR?

2C
Reply 4
How likely do you guys think it is that the manufacture of sulfuric acid will come up?
Reply 5
Original post by rufusleeb
How likely do you guys think it is that the manufacture of sulfuric acid will come up?

possible,as it rarely comes up
Reply 6
Original post by JayrZ
possible,as it rarely comes up

Let's hope it doesn't.
Barely revised it!
Reply 7
Don't forget the extraction of ores as well (i.e blast furnace for iron/haematite as well as electrolysis of bauxite/aluminium)Get familiar with these, the processes they undergo (ie the equations at each step of the blast furnace), the raw materials used and the conditionsAlso learn the definition of an ore! (Ores are naturally occurring rocks that contain metal or metal compounds in sufficient amounts to make it worthwhile extracting them.)They did mention iron extraction on paper 1, they didn't mention aluminium but its good to revise these anyway!
Enthalpy didn't show up did it. Neither did the haber and contact process.
anyone working on a mark scheme?
unofficial markscheme??
Q1a) 4 elements
Q1b)
Q1c)
first and last options
Q1d) [Relative atomic mass] 28.1
Q1e)
last option- 3 periods 8 groups Q1f) [Noble gases] 2- Ar and He

Q2a)
Q2b) [Why is lead compound heated] So the ions can move Q2c) [What gases are formed] -= Chlorine and Oxygen, +=Hydrogen Q2d) [Give ionic half equations] 2Cl- > Cl2 + 2e, 2H+ + 2e > H2, 4OH- > 2H2O + O2 + 4e Q2e) Q2f) [Mass of copper] 1.27g

Q3a)
Q3b) [Dot and cross] 7 dots around each F, 4 dots and 4 crosses around Si
Q3c) [Why is SiCl4 higher b.p.]
Q3d) [Why is SiO3 much higher]

Q4a) [Explain which are hydrocarbons] A,B,C bc they only have hydrogen and carbon atoms
Q4b) [Which is a displayed formula] B bc it shows all bonds between atoms
Q4c)
Q4d) [Deduce the name of D] Butene
Q4e) [Colour of solution] Colourless
Q4f)
Q4g) [What is PVC] Polyvinyl chloride
Q4f) [Draw displayed formulae of chloroethene and poly(chloroethene)]

Q5a)
Q5b) [Why is deltaT lower] Heat loss to atomosphere, lack of insulation
Q5c) [Molar enthalpy charge] -403
Q5d) [Things wrong about methane graph] CO2 + H2O should be lower, reaction is exothermic, time/ x axis not labelled, deltaH not labelled
Q5e) [Actual enthalpy charge] -535
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fej100801
anyone working on a mark scheme?

yes
Original post by jayrz
electrolysis: Very little in paper 1 so there will probably be a q and it'll be on electrolysis of solutions. Equilibrium: Was a q in paper 1 so there will not be much in paper 2, if it appears i'm guessing it'll be about dynamic equilibrium. Organic: Q in paper 1 on mainly alkane/alkene & polymers. So q in paper 2 may focus on alcohols and working out empirical formula. You also haven't yet been testing on difference between alkene + br2 & alkane + br2 calculations: These will definitely appear in paper 2 - due to those in paper 1 i think the focus will be on solution gas calculations. There might also be a relative atomic mass calc early on in the paper too. Chemical tests: There were a lot of these in paper 1 so i doubt there will be many more. Bonding: Very little in paper 1 so will appear in paper 2 - guess will be ionic vs covalent comparison probably including giant covalent. (from my teachers)

damn you were pretty much spot on
Original post by cait12
unofficial markscheme??
Q1a) 4 elements
Q1b)
Q1c)
first and last options
Q1e)

Q2a)
Q2b) [Why is lead compound heated] So the ions can move Q2c) [What gases are formed] -= Chlorine and Oxygen, +=Hydrogen Q2d) [Give ionic half equations] 2Cl- > Cl2 + 2e, 2H+ + 2e > H2, 4OH- > 2H2O + O2 + 4e Q2e) Q2f) [Mass of copper] 1.27g

Q3a)

Q4a) [Explain which are hydrocarbons] A,B,C bc they only have hydrogen and carbon atoms
Q4c)
Q4f)

Q5a)
Q5d) [Things wrong about methane graph] CO2 + H2O should be lower, reaction is exothermic, time/ x axis not labelled, deltaH not labelled

here are some of my answers. for q2b do you mean it is heated so ELECTRONS are free to move?. i also had 5.08g for 2F mass of copper. really not sure. i defo agree with some though. i remeber a questions asked what type of particles flow through the wires, i said electrons. i also see you said oxygen formed but you have written the OH- equation i think it should be 2O2- ---> 02 + 2E-.. dont take my word for everything
Reply 15
Original post by 12williamsf
here are some of my answers. for q2b do you mean it is heated so ELECTRONS are free to move?. i also had 5.08g for 2F mass of copper. really not sure. i defo agree with some though. i remeber a questions asked what type of particles flow through the wires, i said electrons. i also see you said oxygen formed but you have written the OH- equation i think it should be 2O2- ---> 02 + 2E-.. dont take my word for everything

For your electrolysis half equation for oxygen it's +4e- no 2e
Original post by Emm22
For your electrolysis half equation for oxygen it's +4e- no 2e

ok thanks, i didnt even use that i wrote the hydroxide equation anyway im nt sure if its correct.
Original post by cait12
unofficial markscheme??
Q1a) 4 elements
Q1b)
Q1c)
first and last options
Q1e)

Q2a)

Q3a)

Q4c)
Q4f)

Q5a)

Thanks. I think Q4d is incorrect. The right answer should be 2,3 dibromobutane.
Original post by JMR2017
Thanks. I think Q4d is incorrect. The right answer should be 2,3 dibromobutane.

im sure its butene. it asked the name for compound C before it had reacted with the bromine.
It is dibromobutane as it asked what the name of the compound after the reaction was. Seriously read the question. Do you think I would get the mark for saying dibromobutane instead of 2,3 dibromobutane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending