The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Graphic Products Pre Release Material 2017

Any idea on what the question could be? The context is "Self-assembly decoration for a special event"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by majesticotaku
Any idea on what the question could be? The context is "Self-assembly decoration for a special event"

It is predicted to be about Chinese New Year. If it was to be then it would be stuff like lanterns that you could make without using glue, so instead it would use folds. "Self-assembly" implies that the use of no glue could give more marks in the design sections. Don't take my word for the theme of Chines New Year though, it is just a prediction.
Original post by Artiom_
It is predicted to be about Chinese New Year. If it was to be then it would be stuff like lanterns that you could make without using glue, so instead it would use folds. "Self-assembly" implies that the use of no glue could give more marks in the design sections. Don't take my word for the theme of Chines New Year though, it is just a prediction.

I thought it would be something along the lines of Chinese New Year myself, as Christmas and birthdays mean different things to different people, which could make it a nightmare to mark.

How prepared are you for section B? Our teacher hasn't taught us anything :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I thought it would be something along the lines of Chinese New Year myself, as Christmas and birthdays mean different things to different people, which could make it a nightmare to mark.

How prepared are you for section B? Our teacher hasn't taught us anything :s-smilie:

To be honest...I feel OK. At school we got given revision guides to to break it down you need to know things like:
-Printing Techniques
-how packaging is made and with what methods
-Materials and their uses
-Different artists and what they influenced
That's some of them I can not remember the rest of the top of my head. Its quite a bit to do but if you put the effort in then you should be able to do it good luck. I know others who also have been taught the minimal if anything so do not worry you are not the only one. Just do as much revision as you can now and you won't do bad.
Original post by Artiom_
To be honest...I feel OK. At school we got given revision guides to to break it down you need to know things like:
-Printing Techniques
-how packaging is made and with what methods
-Materials and their uses
-Different artists and what they influenced
That's some of them I can not remember the rest of the top of my head. Its quite a bit to do but if you put the effort in then you should be able to do it good luck. I know others who also have been taught the minimal if anything so do not worry you are not the only one. Just do as much revision as you can now and you won't do bad.

Thanks, I think I have covered most of it, but do you mind elaborating on how packaging is made and the methods used? I assume it is to do with die cutters and CAD/CAM, but I have not covered that in my revision. Thanks and good luck to you too.
We haven't been given the preliminary material can someone post it here please
Reply 6
Thanks, I think I have covered most of it, but do you mind elaborating on how packaging is made and the methods used? I assume it is to do with die cutters and CAD/CAM, but I have not covered that in my revision. Thanks and good luck to you too.

I reckon CAD/CAM would come up as they are good to assess. Printing methods would be things like off-set lithography, die cutters, screen printing etc. It would also be good to keep in mind how useful they are and what are used for. Advantages and disadvantages of these are also very likely to come up as they show who really revised. You can look at online revision guides and other material for the exam. One tip would be to get to the end of the exam, by doing so you already put yourself at a HUGE advantage as a lot people wont finish due to the tight timings and the tendency to over dedicate time to the design section. You can also google topics that you do not know I found myself to do that on a number of occasions to help me understand the topics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sweat12345

It is "Self-assembly decoration or a special event"
Original post by Artiom_
I reckon CAD/CAM would come up as they are good to assess. Printing methods would be thongs like off-set lithography, die cutters, screen printing etc. It would also be good to keep in mind how useful they are and what are used for. Advantages and disadvantages of these are also very likely to come up as they show who really revised. You can look at online revision guides and other material for the exam. One tip would be to get to the end of the exam, by doing so you already put yourself at a HUGE advantage as a lot people wont finish due to the tight timings and the tendency to over dedicate time to the design section. You can also google topics that you do not know I found myself to do that on a number of occasions to help me understand the topics.

Thanks a bunch! I didn't even think about advantages and disadvantages of printing techniques. Personally, I don't really find timing an issue in the exam as I have always finished early.

Self-assembly decoration for a special event
Reply 10
Thanks a bunch! I didn't even think about advantages and disadvantages of printing techniques. Personally, I don't really find timing an issue in the exam as I have always finished early.

No problem :smile::smile: Things like how durable the methods are compared to one another are things that I am going through. It would be good to know how much more efficient the plates used for each of the printing methods are in comparison to one another, I don't think that you need to know specific numbers as that would not be assessment of creativity.
Happy to help, hope this helps you do better in the exam:smile:

Ok thanks, is that all you get
Reply 12
Ok thanks, is that all you get

Yes, however it is predicted that the most likely special event to come up is "Chinese New Year" as it is a universal theme that can't really be understood in many ways,like birthdays and Christmas for example (credit to majesticotaku for examples), this makes the marking easier. I would not say revise Chinese New Year for the whole time, but give it quite a bit of thought in case it comes up in the exam.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Artiom_

How would you design a self-assembly decoration for a lantern?
Reply 14
Yeah could someone help with a self-assembly of a lantern?
Original post by zakmatic
How would you design a self-assembly decoration for a lantern?

Original post by rektgg
Yeah could someone help with a self-assembly of a lantern?

I would do something along the lines of a pop-up paper lantern so you could pull a tab and it would pop up ready for use

Or you could have one that is flat folded which you need to pull out and attach with Velcro.

But I'm pretty sure if you goggle Chinese lantern nets you'll find something :smile:
Reply 16
Hmm... not too sure about the chinse new year speculation.. AQA tend to be very PC and this could be seen as an appropriation of a culture to them.They'll avoid christmas, eid, any type of religious or ethnic festival or celebration IMO.

Anyway please, does anyone have a prediction for the designer to come up this year? Is it possible it's Sabuda given the theme and running of previous years?
Original post by xnox
Hmm... not too sure about the chinse new year speculation.. AQA tend to be very PC and this could be seen as an appropriation of a culture to them.They'll avoid christmas, eid, any type of religious or ethnic festival or celebration IMO.

Anyway please, does anyone have a prediction for the designer to come up this year? Is it possible it's Sabuda given the theme and running of previous years?

I get what you're saying about the culture thing... but that's only what I've heard from multiple people on multiple websites haha :smile:

Taking into consideration the religious festivals.. the only ones I can think of is New Year as it is experienced and known by everyone and doesn't really have a lot of different interpretations. I think the only reason why people are saying CHINESE new year is because it maybe has more ideas and beliefs to base design ideas off, or that might just be me as all I can think of for New Year is fireworks :colondollar:

As for designers, I would say Sabuda is the most likely to make an appearance as you said his work relates to the theme. But I would also say that Alessi or Olins could also come up if you're basing predictions off the context.
Reply 18
Can you use other materials to attach the decorative pieces together (i.e. Velcro, magnets etc), as long as no glue is used?
:smile:
Reply 19

How did the exam go for you? I found it went well but many people in the other class ad on twitter are complaining of the exam being too hard so the grade boundaries might be lowered.

Quick Reply

Latest