The Student Room Group

I need help with my A-level choices

GCSE subjects I am taking are: history, DT graphics, Art and RE.

I really like maths so I think math A-level is one of them but i’m not sure on what else I should choose.

I feel like I could link math with business A-level and take the finance/accountancy route but i’m not sure because I haven’t studied business as a gcse, so will i be at a disadvantage at my school’s sixth form as business was a GCSE option?

Then there is the design/architectural route, since I do art and DT graphics I think this would be good but the only thing is that I’m not very fast with my course work, there is quality but speed is the issue.

Any other routes/career pathway advice would be appreciated (e.g something to do with science maybe or anything except english…)

PS. My recent mocks I got 6’s and 7’s

Thanks.
To get into a levels at any sixth form or college you need a 4 (a C grade) or above in GCSE maths (ideally more than a 6 (a B grade) in most) and the same grade in GCSE english literature and english language. To do maths a level and do well, you should have at least a grade 7 (an A) in your maths GCSE. Business a level is not much like business GCSE, so you won't be at a disadvantage there. Try and choose a levels based off of the subjects you like - you like maths, and business pairs really well with maths - you can also use it to get into law, business or finance at university 🙂 If you like art or DT you should consider taking one of them to A level since you've already got 6/7 in your mock, but only if you really like it, as it is a lot of work particularly in art. If you like science or english, I would suggest taking the one you like most to a level, but if you do not then there is no point picking a subject you do not like to learn about.
Reply 2
Hi, I'm also picking my GCSEs. Mine are not really similar to yours, but I know for sure that business at A level is definitely not the same as in GCSEs. I don't know if your school offers economics, but perhaps you could have a think about that one? If you like design, go for it. I think that even if your A level subjects are quite varied in terms of the idea that they don't it with a pre-determined route, its okay. At the end of the day you are the one doing the subject for 2 years and possibly longer, so just take what you like. If you like DT a lot, perhaps you could think about material science? It requires an A level in chemistry and physics, but it is helpful to have done DT.
Reply 3
Original post by You good?

I really like maths so I think math A-level is one of them but i’m not sure on what else I should choose.

I feel like I could link math with business A-level and take the finance/accountancy route but i’m not sure because I haven’t studied business as a gcse, so will i be at a disadvantage at my school’s sixth form as business was a GCSE option?

Then there is the design/architectural route, since I do art and DT graphics I think this would be good but the only thing is that I’m not very fast with my course work, there is quality but speed is the issue.

Any other routes/career pathway advice would be appreciated (e.g something to do with science maybe or anything except english…)

Thanks.

So, from what you have said Maths is a good choice. It is such a versatile subject and links to so many different future pathways, it helps to keep your options open. To go with Maths, it would be good to have another STEM subject, it really depends on what you enjoy and can see yourself doing in the future. As you mentioned design and architecture perhaps physics? Then to go nicely with them DT could be useful. This gives you lots of opportunity for most types of engineering as well as although if you would struggle to keep up with coursework anything else would work well. Often the grade you get can be more important than the subjects, so don't pick something you know you will struggle with.

I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, which is a challenging trio. Despite it being difficult, it has allowed me to keep my options very open so if you enjoy these subjects would be a good choice. Giving career opportunities in healthcare, Pharmacy, Chemical engineering etc.

Honestly, I'd pick your strongest subjects for GCSE, but also considering what possible careers this opens up and what you'd be interested in for the future.

Hope your GCSEs go well!
Reply 4
Thanks.

I did art a level and design technology (product design) for a-level as don’t find them that bad !
I also didn’t do art at gcse and I liked it I didn’t find it too hard just a bit time consuming as both subjects. Have to spend time to go either in the workshop or art room.
There deadlines for me are close but I have enough time for each!
Thanks.

Hi,
You will have heard this before but just pick what you enjoy the most! A levels are alot of work, you will spend alot of time doing the subjects you pick so its important you enjoy what you are doing. unlike gcses, i find it hard to believe that people do well in their alevels if they don't like the subject, because its a lot of work and you need to be dedicated and motivated to do it. I would say of course if you desperately want to go down a specific career path then choose your alevels accordingly, but realistically if you want to do a course (say medicine) so you choose bio, chem and maths, but you really hate bio, even if you do get through your alevels with a good grade, the chances are you won't even enjoy studying medicine at uni.
You said you really like maths so i think that would be a good idea to take it. as for your other 2/3 subjects, just pick the subjects you enjoy the most. of course be realistic, if you enjoy a subject but really struggle at it and find it hard, then maybe don't take it for alevels because its only going to get harder. but chances are you are decent/good at your favourite subjects.
good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest