The Student Room Group

Gcse art advice pls?

Hajsjdhdjksm
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
idk if she’s just praying on my downfall or what but she said that she hopes I don’t pick portraiture 💀🙏
hi i dont do art but my work(product design) is under art and design for aqa and i recently got my question as i do product design and out of all i considerd doing either storage, spaces and places, fragments, celebration. please help me to pick one, also i will have to make a 3d working piece so any ideas will be appreciated thank yo. please help me asap.
Reply 3
Original post by katieee69
Hi I’m in year 11 and I really like to draw faces. Most of my work is of faces and I’ve studied a lot of portraiture artists and I’m predicted a 9. When I saw that one of the aqa themes was portraiture I was so happy, or fragments so I could draw different pieces of faces. However, my art teacher told me that I shouldn’t pick one them two themes because most of my art consists of faces. Now I’m stuck because there’s literally nothing else that I feel like I could get a high grade on 😭 i don’t know wether to just pick them anyway bc it’s my actual gcse or not do it bc she told me I shouldn’t? idk thx

I think you should pick it if you really like the theme and want to work with it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DhanviAttipatla
hi i dont do art but my work(product design) is under art and design for aqa and i recently got my question as i do product design and out of all i considerd doing either storage, spaces and places, fragments, celebration. please help me to pick one, also i will have to make a 3d working piece so any ideas will be appreciated thank yo. please help me asap.

I also do product design (but OCR), but I'm a bit unsure how yours work, what is the task for you to do with those themes? For your final product to be 3D, I'm thinking storage/celebration sounds the best to work with.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by wwuiuiwu
I also do product design (but OCR), but I'm a bit unsure how yours work, what is the task for you to do with those themes? For your final product to be 3D, I'm thinking storage/celebration sounds the best to work with.

can you give me any ideas on them then please, i dont know what product i am meant to make.if storage and celebrations sounds good then what could i do..?i have to make a working product and do a sketchbook where I reasarch on all of them.
Reply 6
can you give me any ideas on them then please, i dont know what product i am meant to make.if storage and celebrations sounds good then what could i do..?i have to make a working product and do a sketchbook where I reasarch on all of them.

I think it depends on what your task is to do with those themes, for me, we identified problems relating to the theme and the given context (under the theme) where our final product would be created based off the identified problems. We also had celebration as a choice, my classmates are either making jewellery, or storage food boxes so users can take their food to parties with ease. For storage you can pretty much do anything, pencil case, a box, pen holders, any type of cases like for glasses, bags, shelves/cupboard, etc.
(edited 3 months ago)
I think it depends on what your task is to do with those themes, for me, we identified problems relating to the theme and the given context (under the theme) where our final product would be created based off the identified problems. We also had celebration as a choice, my classmates are either making jewellery, or storage food boxes so users can take their food to parties with ease. For storage you can pretty much do anything, pencil case, a box, pen holders, any type of cases like for glasses, bags, shelves/cupboard, etc.

yh, i thought of doing fragments and do any item with it, but dont know what item i can make with fragmnets.
Reply 8
yh, i thought of doing fragments and do any item with it, but dont know what item i can make with fragmnets.

maybe some toy that could be broken apart and put back together? or a box that can have multiple boxes attached to it with a magnet or something. I'm thinking the function of the '3d working piece' could be something to do with a larger object that can be separated into smaller pieces.
maybe some toy that could be broken apart and put back together? or a box that can have multiple boxes attached to it with a magnet or something. I'm thinking the function of the '3d working piece' could be something to do with a larger object that can be separated into smaller pieces.

i am fixed with doing a chess board but dont know what with it
Reply 10
i am fixed with doing a chess board but dont know what with it

oh that's a great idea, you could consider how the game works and change it up a bit or consider a concept you would do with it
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
Hi I’m in year 11 and I really like to draw faces. Most of my work is of faces and I’ve studied a lot of portraiture artists and I’m predicted a 9. When I saw that one of the aqa themes was portraiture I was so happy, or fragments so I could draw different pieces of faces. However, my art teacher told me that I shouldn’t pick one them two themes because most of my art consists of faces. Now I’m stuck because there’s literally nothing else that I feel like I could get a high grade on 😭 i don’t know wether to just pick them anyway bc it’s my actual gcse or not do it bc she told me I shouldn’t? idk thx

Helloooo. Not sure if I'm a bit late on this buttt I got a 9 in gcse art last year (2023). I think with art the exam boards like to see variation, so if you want to do portraiture then I'd suggest to try using some materials that you may have not used before (e.g if you've never used acrylics before, then try that; or you could use something that isn't a canvas, like a mirror or smth) and try and experiment with them; this way you can still stick to a theme that you enjoy but then also showing variation and experimentation to the exam board which will hopefully help you get higher marks. However, if you are planning on using materials that you have used before, then I'd suggest going for a theme that's a little different to your previous works, again to show variation. Considering you're predicted a 9 I'm sure you'll do really well no matter your choice of project 🙂 Good luck!

I think maybe you should pick a different theme because if you have done a lot of faces then pciking something else might be better as the examiners usually look for different art styles and but you can look for artists within the other themes that you pick that create art which has faces or portraits, like currently im also doing my art gcses for aqa and i picked integrate because i like to do mixed media so i also think picking your strengths is good. but if you still feel like you wanna pick portraiture or fragments i say you should go for it

Quick Reply

Latest