The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT what was your first score?

I am doing past MAT papers and getting scores around 60/100 . On average I get around 40 marks on the long questions and 20 marks on the multiple choice questions. I am still struggling with the time limit on the multiple choice questions and most of the time end up wasting an hour for the multiple choice questions and solve the rest of the long questions in the other one and a half hours. How did you do on your first past MAT papers? Am I doing alright ? How long did it take for you to get a score around 80? Thank you very much in advance !
Reply 1
in my actual i got 84
Reply 2
Thanks, but I was more interested in the results you or anybody else may have had in past papers you may have taken.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Moriheru
I am doing past MAT papers and getting scores around 60/100 . On average I get around 40 marks on the long questions and 20 marks on the multiple choice questions. I am still struggling with the time limit on the multiple choice questions and most of the time end up wasting an hour for the multiple choice questions and solve the rest of the long questions in the other one and a half hours. How did you do on your first past MAT papers? Am I doing alright ? How long did it take for you to get a score around 80? Thank you very much in advance !

This is probably something you already know, but the MAT website (https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test) has info for each MAT paper on the average scores of: all candidates; shortlisted candidates; successful candidates

Obviously that isn't too helpful to establish how you might improve as you do more mocks, but it should atleast reassure you that 60 would put you in with a shout for an interview assuming the rest of your application is reasonably competitive.

Keep practising and see what improvements you can make!

again, sorry if this information is all stuff you already know!
Reply 4
Thanks, I was aware of the average score, but never the less thanks for your reply !
Reply 5
At any rate, is it normal that one has trouble at the start with the exam or did you instantly get good marks?
Reply 6
Original post by Moriheru
At any rate, is it normal that one has trouble at the start with the exam or did you instantly get good marks?

Honestly, if you're hitting 60 atm then you're not really struggling. The MAT is designed so that the average hits around 50/100. With a good set of GCSEs I'm almost certain that 60 would get you an interview at Oxford.
Original post by Blazy
Honestly, if you're hitting 60 atm then you're not really struggling. The MAT is designed so that the average hits around 50/100. With a good set of GCSEs I'm almost certain that 60 would get you an interview at Oxford.

Are MAT and GCSEs the most important part of an application?
Reply 8
Original post by kamilb
Are MAT and GCSEs the most important part of an application?

No I certainly don't think so ! What I was told at the open day was, that it is more about the Personal statement, MAT score and teachers references, aswell as how you perform in the interview.
Reply 9
Original post by Blazy

the first paper i did was such as shock to me that it took me about 10 hours in total and i didn't add up the score but i expect it would've been below 50, now i tend to get 60-75 within the time limit. depending on the specific paper, 60 is very good and really nothing to worry about.
I got around 50 on my very first attempt, then I was within the 70's for a few of the older papers and now I'm back to getting 50-60 again. It really varies between papers
Hey guys, I wanted to wish you guys good luck for the tests tomorrow! I've put up a video regarding admissions test and tips for them with some general advice, and some extra for the MAT, so I'd check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5biKSdpXIY&t=188s Best of Luck! Hope to see you at interviews! -Mani
Reply 13
I received an offer to read maths a couple days ago. For 2018 entry the average successful applicant scored 73.6 (for straight maths). In my case, I’m pretty certain that my best case scenario is something between 65-70. This shows that it boils down to how you perform on your interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending