The Student Room Group

Should I bother applying for maths in Oxford? (Edit:I'll be applying for physics)

I recently got my predicted scores back (A star in maths, A in FM, chemistry and physics), and the entry requirements require an a star in FM (which I don't have). If I decide not to, I'll apply for physics there instead. Has anyone here got similar scores and had an offer? I know I can get A stars in the final exams (enough to get more than the entry requirements), but I don't know if I should risk it. I am also doing a maths book for my EPQ.
(edited 10 months ago)
Go for it. If you perform very strongly on the MAT, your chances are certainly non-trivial, though I'm not sure if any more can be said. Maths in general has a pretty high offer rate elsewhere and unless your other options are like Durham, St. Andrews, Imperial, or etc. (the main ones I can think of that reject a substantial number of applicants) there's a pretty reasonable chance you will get most of your offers. Unless Warwick has changed its admissions policy in the last year, you would likely get an offer from them. Below this have a think about UCL, Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster, Birmingham and the like just to name a few good ones.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
Go for it. If you perform very strongly on the MAT, your chances are certainly non-trivial, though I'm not sure if any more can be said. Maths in general has a pretty high offer rate elsewhere and unless your other options are like Durham, St. Andrews, Imperial, or etc. (the main ones I can think of that reject a substantial number of applicants) there's a pretty reasonable chance you will get most of your offers. Unless Warwick has changed its admissions policy in the last year, you would likely get an offer from them as well. Below this have a think about UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Bath, Lancaster, Birmingham and the like just to name a few good ones.

Thanks, I was considering Bath and Edinburgh. So they will likely provide me an offer?
Original post by NoRJoke112233
I recently got my predicted scores back (A star in maths and chemistry, A in FM and physics), and the entry requirements require an a star in FM (which I don't have). If I decide not to, I'll apply for physics there instead. Has anyone here got similar scores and had an offer? I know I can get A stars in the final exams (enough to get more than the entry requirements), but I don't know if I should risk it. I am also doing a maths book for my EPQ.

honestly - don't apply. if you havent got the entry requirements for most universities you will probably get sifted out in the first round, let alone Oxford. you're better off using that choice to apply somewhere else, which is the hard but honest truth i wish someone had told me too

i'd assume you can get your teachers to give you 4 a* for ucas though, as theyre usually a grade above predicted so if you can get that then go for it
(edited 11 months ago)
Thanks, I was considering Bath and Edinburgh. So they will likely provide me an offer?

yes you should get an offer from at least a few (realistically most) of the unis you apply to unless there is something wrong with your reference. St. Andrews, Imperial, Oxbridge or maybe Durham (my memory is failing here a bit) on the other hand all seem to reject a substantial number of applicants. St. Andrews has seemingly rejected a lot of people who have got into Oxbridge. Put down an AAA or AAB option as well. Lancaster is pretty good at this pricepoint and often accepts people in clearing with considerably less than that.

however I would try to push for an A* in FM like the other poster said (I don't think they're correct in their assessment otherwise though), because this would take out this worry completely.

@RichE is quite senior at Oxford and might be able to give better advice on whether it's possible to get an Oxford interview with an A in FM. (I would imagine a strong MAT score could well cancel it, but I'm not 100% sure)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by _gcx
yes you should get an offer from at least a few (realistically most) of the unis you apply to unless there is something wrong with your reference. St. Andrews, Imperial, Oxbridge or maybe Durham (my memory is failing here a bit) on the other hand all seem to reject a substantial number of applicants. St. Andrews has seemingly rejected a lot of people who have got into Oxbridge. Put down an AAA or AAB option as well. Lancaster is pretty good at this pricepoint and often accepts people in clearing with considerably less than that.

however I would try to push for an A* in FM like the other poster said (I don't think they're correct in their assessment otherwise though), because this would take out this worry completely.

@RichE is quite senior at Oxford and might be able to give better advice on whether it's possible to get an Oxford interview with an A in FM. (I would imagine so if your MAT score is strong but I am not really sure)

you mentioned that oxbridge reject a substantial number of applicants. unless OP is in the top 5 or 10% on the MAT, why wouldn't they reject OP if OP does not have the entry requirements?
Reply 6
I recently got my predicted scores back (A star in maths and chemistry, A in FM and physics), and the entry requirements require an a star in FM (which I don't have). If I decide not to, I'll apply for physics there instead. Has anyone here got similar scores and had an offer? I know I can get A stars in the final exams (enough to get more than the entry requirements), but I don't know if I should risk it. I am also doing a maths book for my EPQ.

It's a bit early to give you final predictions - is there no movement on this if you improve in the next three months?
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx

@RichE is quite senior at Oxford and might be able to give better advice on whether it's possible to get an Oxford interview with an A in FM. (I would imagine a strong MAT score could well cancel it, but I'm not 100% sure)

Thank you, I will ask him.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
It's a bit early to give you final predictions - is there no movement on this if you improve in the next three months?

These are (what I gauge) will be the final predictions
Reply 9
These are (what I gauge) will be the final predictions

Really silly - you could improve considerably over the summer. Talk to your teachers - I'm quite shocked tbh.
Original post by Muttley79
Really silly - you could improve considerably over the summer. Talk to your teachers - I'm quite shocked tbh.

TBF I made a lot of maths errors on my FM exams.
Reply 11

Heya!
Those are impressive marks! You could possibly talk to your teacher and see if you could get the FM score you need for Oxford, explain your situation :h: The application is tough so you need to have the entry requirements they ask for if you want to get to the admission test stage. Make sure you have some backup unis as well which you can apply to!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by user8937264980
you mentioned that oxbridge reject a substantial number of applicants. unless OP is in the top 5 or 10% on the MAT, why wouldn't they reject OP if OP does not have the entry requirements?

Cambridge gives out interviews to people with A*AA predictions but deselects far fewer candidates before interview. I would just be guessing if I said anything stronger, I just doubt it's an immediate reject.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by _gcx
Cambridge gives out interviews to people with A*AA predictions but deselects far fewer candidates before interview. I would just be guessing if I said anything stronger, I just doubt it's an immediate reject.

i think cambridge invite something like 60% of applicants to interview... im just trying to be realistic not pessimistic - unless you score ultra high in the mat, if you dont have the entry requirements they will most likely reject you without an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest