The Student Room Group

How do you have a great summer on a budget?

:flower2: SUMMER* IS HERE! :flower2:

Spoiler

When the sun's shining and there's a distinct spell of BBQ in the air, it's hard not to get FOMO-ey if you're not getting outside everyday and doing stuff.

But when you're skint and/or on a student budget, it can be challenging to find interesting things to do for cheap (or, even better, FOR FREE!)
So - do you have any tips on how to have a great summer on a budget?

How creative do you get to keep yourself busy with little money?

Scroll to see replies

You don't.
TSR
Reply 3
Stand in the garden.

And if you live in a flat, just imagine you have a garden.
There's loads of free events all over the place in the summer. So far I've done/am doing a dog training class, a 1940s weekend event, and a food festival. Check out trip advisor for the top sights where you live. Many are free to see, and it's so easy to forget the things that are right under your nose. Keep an eye on websites like hotukdeals to see deals and vouchers for tickets. There's loads around summer time. Not everything has to cost an arm and a leg, you just have to be imaginative!
Original post by UWS
Stand in the garden.

And if you live in a flat, just imagine you have a garden.

Make a garden in the middle of your flat.
Me and my housemates get all our friends round for beer/wine/juice pong and turn it into a competition.
Possible to do this for free if you have the following items! A table, a ping pong ball, some cups and a liquid!
Netflix and work for me mostly :s-smilie:
Reply 8
you don't.
great british summer? LOL! nice one.
even if you had money, most people would spend it desperately flying away somewhere warmer and distant
😂😂 British summer ey 😩
I love making some food at home and heading to the beach (or park) with my friends. Can blast some tunes and chill.
it might be a bit late now but theres loads of free summer schools around and they tend to be pretty amazing from my experience, there's also residentials like nsc that are worth the money
also if you live in/around central london theres no excuse considering how much free things there is to do and see, just have a quick google search to see what you enjoy
Ryanair + hostels
Reply 15
Original post by usualsuspects
you don't.

Original post by Glassapple
You don't.

This.

Original post by BigYoSpeck
Ryanair + hostels

Not this. Hostel=great summer?
Not this. Hostel=great summer?

Not for everyone, but I'm sure anyone who's backpacked will attest that you can have a fantastic time in hostels. I've made friends for life staying in hostels.
Reply 17
This. Not this. Hostel=great summer?

I've stayed in hostels almost every time I've been away with friends, and the majority were amazing value for money. :smile:

Others... not so much, but it's still always a fun experience! :h:
Original post by discobish
I've stayed in hostels almost every time I've been away with friends, and the majority were amazing value for money. :smile:

Others... not so much, but it's still always a fun experience! :h:

Personally, I don't understand why people spend so much on hotels. For me, the point of travel is the place and the people. I don't need a luxury room because if I'm spending enough time in my room to enjoy it then I may as well have stayed at home.

If you travel alone a hostel is perfect, it's so easy to make friends. And if you are partnered up then most hostels still have private rooms, but having the communal area still opens you up to more interesting people than in a hotel.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Personally, I don't understand why people spend so much on hotels. For me, the point of travel is the place and the people. I don't need a luxury room because if I'm spending enough time in my room to enjoy it then I may as well have stayed at home.

If you travel alone a hostel is perfect, it's so easy to make friends. And if you are partnered up then most hostels still have private rooms, but having the communal area still opens you up to more interesting people than in a hotel.

::Weird Question Alert:: How do you even make friends with other people at hostels? Do you just start talking to people and hope that they want to hang out with you too? Baffled.

Quick Reply

Latest