The Student Room Group

Self studying IGCSE Human Biology

Hello

I would like to self/ home study for the IGCSE Human biology qualification (Edexcel). I wondered if there was any free online learning portals to help me with my studies. I was also thinking of using YouTube as another learning tool, can anyone recommend useful support materials and tools.

I will be contacting Edexcel to get a copy of the syllabus, I already have the Pearsons IGCSE Human Biology text book. I hoping to sit the exam in Summer 2018, want to get ahead start because I'll be juggling a young family and Studying!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Original post by Letseatpie
Hello

I would like to self/ home study for the IGCSE Human biology qualification (Edexcel). I wondered if there was any free online learning portals to help me with my studies. I was also thinking of using YouTube as another learning tool, can anyone recommend useful support materials and tools.

I will be contacting Edexcel to get a copy of the syllabus, I already have the Pearsons IGCSE Human Biology text book. I hoping to sit the exam in Summer 2018, want to get ahead start because I'll be juggling a young family and Studying!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Specification
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Human%20Biology/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG022524-International-GCSE-in-Human-Biology-4HB0-for-print.pdf

Support materials
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-human-biology-2009.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials
Reply 2
Hi there, I am in exactly the same boat....I an really struggling with the course already as there is very little teaching support. I am actually thinking of getting a biology tutor. I have the edexcel IGCSE human biology textbook which is pretty good and I am a member of twig. I have also found the BBC bitesize is a lot of help Good luck
spec spec spec and past papers
CGP books really helped me, I only had 3 days to revise for biology and I ended up memorising things from there. I ended up getting an A* :smile:
I'm self studying human biology too, will be writing in May 2018. I'm using the textbook, past papers, specification and youtube videos to help me study.
I've created some youtube playlists covering the different sections of the Edexcel IGCSE Human Biology Specification. The videos haven't been made specifically for the IGCSE human biology course but they should cover most of what you need to know as detailed in the spec. I'll be using these playlists to support my revision and thought I'd share incase anyone else finds them useful :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SophiaWinters/playlists
I've started building some flashcards which might help with revision, I'll be adding to them over the coming weeks:

https://quizlet.com/smilingwombat/folders/42613860/sets
Original post by S a i n t
spec spec spec and past papers
CGP books really helped me, I only had 3 days to revise for biology and I ended up memorising things from there. I ended up getting an A* :smile:

Which cgp book did u use?
Original post by Yoshiko Yūjin
Which cgp book did u use?

Hiya, sorry for the late reply!
I did IGCSE biology so I used the IGCSE Edexcel CGP books :smile:
.Hey!!! I'm self-studying IGCSE Human Biology (Edexcel). I wanted to know how I should explain homeostasis with reference to how the skin maintains a constant temperature. Also, I wanted to know how to describe the structure of the brain
Original post by amreen.salam
.Hey!!! I'm self-studying IGCSE Human Biology (Edexcel). I wanted to know how I should explain homeostasis with reference to how the skin maintains a constant temperature. Also, I wanted to know how to describe the structure of the brain

So for your first question about how the skin helps to maintain a constant temperature: I would write about how sensors detect changes away from the ideal internal body temperature of 37C and send a signal to the hypothalamus through the nervous system, a signal is then sent through the nervous system to cause the following responses: vasodilation or vasoconstriction and sweating or hair erector muscles to contract and raise hairs. I would explain each of these responses and what effect they have on body temperature (either warming or cooling). I would also be sure write in there somewhere that this is called thermoregulation by negative feedback system. I would finish by explaining what happens when the body temperature returns to the ideal.

For describing the structure of the brain as far as I can tell from the specification you only need to know the cerebral hemispheres, medula, mid-brain, hypothalamus and pituitary gland. I would explain where each of these parts are located and perhaps a brief explanation of what they are responsible for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,I wanted jan 2018 human biology paper but couldn't find it if anyone of you has it please share :smile:
Original post by Minhal Irfan
Hi,I wanted jan 2018 human biology paper but couldn't find it if anyone of you has it please share :smile:

On Pearson's website it's still locked, only teaching staff would have access I think. I'm using the June 17 papers as mock papers, did paper 2 today and will do paper 1 later in the week. I purposefully haven't looked at them until now as wanted to have something unseen to use as a mock paper.
Reply 13
Original post by amreen.salam

Have you tried using the Seneca Learning website to help you? They've just put on Edexcel IGCSE Biology and I'm already finding it so useful! Can find the IGCSE course here: https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/e1a7eee0-26dc-11e8-8fe0-51e4f27b102c/section/977f1690-3c0d-11e8-ad6a-8b392f0be7bc Hope that you find this beneficial :smile:
im also self studying for human biology since im not allowed to go to tutors. First you should read the book thoroughly for a week or two weeks then u should use the specification and test urself orally. Ive been told that if u cant summarize the topic then ur not learning properly so the points u have problems with,read the answer in the book and repeat.Do this until u fully undertsand all the points in the specifications.Next use Past papers efficiently.Start from 2009 to 2016 and take 2017 and 2018 as self mocks.Then after ur done with the past paper then highlight the topics which u lost marks on and read those topics until u finally got it in ur head then do that past paper again.watch youtube videos
This is, indeed, a splendour and I thank you very much for this.
Original post by SmilingWombat
I've started building some flashcards which might help with revision, I'll be adding to them over the coming weeks:

https://quizlet.com/smilingwombat/folders/42613860/sets

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending