The Student Room Group

Applying to GEM in final year or after a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Optimist
That's great! I wish you all the best!

Thanks! Are you doing a pharmacy degree ATM?
Original post by Sacred Ground
Thanks! Are you doing a pharmacy degree ATM?

I have just graduated :smile: I'll be starting my pre-reg on Monday. Pharmacy, even though it going through some tough times still offers great opportunities. Therefore if I don't get into medicine at least I still have a good degree. How are you finding medicine?
I have just graduated :smile: I'll be starting my pre-reg on Monday. Pharmacy, even though it going through some tough times still offers great opportunities. Therefore if I don't get into medicine at least I still have a good degree. How are you finding medicine?

Many congratulations! And best of luck come Monday! First year was enjoyable but I really didn't immerse myself into all of the content as I had initially planned (too many nights out :/.) So I see second year as a real chance to fully appreciate the degree.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Many congratulations! And best of luck come Monday! First year was enjoyable but I really didn't immerse myself into all of the content as I had initially planned (too many nights out :/.) So I see second year as a real chance to fully appreciate the degree.

Thanks :smile: I think spending the first year enjoying yourself is not that bad. First year is always the most easiest year and it's the time you spend settling in. Just make sure you focus yourself in the coming years. That does not mean not having fun, but just means have a set time for your studies. Your first few years are your pre-clinical years where you're taught much of the science behind the therapies etc. These are very important and getting a good handle on them now will help you greatly in your clinical years. I know this because of my experiences with medical students. If you ever need any info etc with regards to drugs etc let me know.
Thanks :smile: I think spending the first year enjoying yourself is not that bad. First year is always the most easiest year and it's the time you spend settling in. Just make sure you focus yourself in the coming years. That does not mean not having fun, but just means have a set time for your studies. Your first few years are your pre-clinical years where you're taught much of the science behind the therapies etc. These are very important and getting a good handle on them now will help you greatly in your clinical years. I know this because of my experiences with medical students. If you ever need any info etc with regards to drugs etc let me know.

Thanks a lot mate! Appreciate it
Any other advice for me lol
Hi! I don't know if you still want opinions... I personally took a year out after my masters and applied during that year. It meant that I could sit the GAMSAT as a practice run the September before, and then again in March (and then if that hadn't gone well, I had the option to sit again in September- but luckily I did okay!). I spent the year volunteering at a hospital and working (even though the 4 year course is partly funded, it's still nice to have at least a year's worth of savings in the bank :smile: )
Original post by puddleduck
Hi! I don't know if you still want opinions... I personally took a year out after my masters and applied during that year. It meant that I could sit the GAMSAT as a practice run the September before, and then again in March (and then if that hadn't gone well, I had the option to sit again in September- but luckily I did okay!). I spent the year volunteering at a hospital and working (even though the 4 year course is partly funded, it's still nice to have at least a year's worth of savings in the bank :smile: )

Hey! I've decided I'm going to apply next October. I think it would just be too risky to try this year so I'm going to focus on my degree, get work experience under my belt, and sit the GAMSAT in March. I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March because whilst I want to to well and ideally well enough to not need to sit it again, it's also going to be a test run. That way if I do well I'm sorted, if I do badly but feel like I can improve I'll resit in September, and if it goes badly and I have no chance I won't bother and will just focus on the UKCAT. I'm going to spend my 'gap year' like you and work, hopefully as an HCA :smile:

Out of curiosity, did you get in on your first attempt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending