The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Most of them are okay with it; RVC, Liverpool, Surrey and Nottingham for example. Edinburgh and Cambridge are two that don't like resits.

Alright thank you! Is the RVC the only one that is bothered about what I get in my first sitting or is BBC a general trend with the uni's?
Original post by alexriversxx
Does anyone know what each uni's feel about people retaking the year?

Holah, previously a resitter now going into third year here,
The only unis that don't like resitters are Edinburgh, Cambridge & Glasgow is a ?? but IMO if you're a resitting English applicant it's a poor choice as it is so competitive for English students (but if that's your dream uni, go for it, and they were in clearing this year so you never know!).
I applied to Liverpool, Notts, RVC & Surrey. I got interviews at all except Liv but that was because of my WEX & not academic side.
Any Qs about resitting or general applying please PM me! :smile:
Omg I'm so happy that someone made this thread!!
Hey. Does anyone know if graduating from a non-russell group uni (RVC) will result in employees looking at you differently compared to if you go to a russell group uni (e.g. Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol) instead?
Original post by d.yazzy
Hey. Does anyone know if graduating from a non-russell group uni (RVC) will result in employees looking at you differently compared to if you go to a russell group uni (e.g. Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol) instead?

Not at all. For such a vocational course employers are far more interested in your experience than the university that you went to. All courses (apart from Surrey, currently) are accredited by the RCVS so they are maintained to a high standard.

It's worth noting that the Russel Group aren't prestigious through quality of the education that they provide; nor is it a list of the 'best' universities in the UK. The group was self set up and selected, primarily to lead research efforts and maximise income that member institutions could get.
Original post by d.yazzy

No not one bit. Veterinary stands very much alone, total uni reputations mean nothing to vet schools
Can someone explain reflective practice / reflection in a personal statement to me in really simple terms? Every guide I've read has said not to just list what you learned or saw, but to reflect on it, which I don't quite understand. Help?
Does anyone have any contacts of dairy farmers with accommodation nearby?
Original post by Viapurifico
Can someone explain reflective practice / reflection in a personal statement to me in really simple terms? Every guide I've read has said not to just list what you learned or saw, but to reflect on it, which I don't quite understand. Help?

You need to go into more depth than just listing what you have seen, and instead write about how your experiences gave you a deeper understanding of the veterinary profession.

E.g.: "At a small animal practice I was able to observe consults", could be better written as "Observing consults highlighted the importance of good communication skills and empathy with clients", or "I got to shadow a vet at an abattoir and saw the paperwork that is completed" could be better written as "A placement at an abattoir showed the wider role of vets in maintaining food safety".

Those aren't great examples but you get the jist :tongue:
Original post by Louiseee_
Holah, previously a resitter now going into third year here,
The only unis that don't like resitters are Edinburgh, Cambridge & Glasgow is a ?? but IMO if you're a resitting English applicant it's a poor choice as it is so competitive for English students (but if that's your dream uni, go for it, and they were in clearing this year so you never know!).
I applied to Liverpool, Notts, RVC & Surrey. I got interviews at all except Liv but that was because of my WEX & not academic side.
Any Qs about resitting or general applying please PM me! :smile:

Hiya thanks for the help and I'll be sure to take you up on that offer! I initially applied to the RVC, nottingham, liverpool and bristol but only got an offer from nottingham as my interview performance was poor (I had no idea what I was in for to be honest!) I loved nottingham and I'm praying I get a offer this year from them but we can only hope :redface:
Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm a 4th year vet student at Nottingham :smile: I'll be long qualified by the time you guys even apply :zomg: I'm happy to answer any questions you have :smile:

Hello, a 2018 vet med applicant here. I am currently trying to sort out my uni choices and would love some info on Nottingham. I am an IB student based in Austria and will definitely be applying to Bristol, Surrey and Liverpool. I have enough points to apply to Cambridge but am unsure about whether its the right environment for me. I need to decide on one more uni, either Cambridge, London or Nottingham and have been reading widely about all three. I like the look of the Nottingham course in particular but I haven't been able to visit the uni. How would you describe the environment, city (night life), sport facilities and campus there?

Thanks! :smile:
UKCAT is for medicine courses only and the only uni that needs the BMAT for veterinary is Cambridge.
Original post by VictiniCup
UKCAT is for medicine courses only and the only uni that needs the BMAT for veterinary is Cambridge.

Cambridge doesn't even require the BMAT anymore - they have their own entrance exam you have to sit ! :smile:
They have replaced the BMAT with the NSAA (Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment). A lot of useful information and past papers and specification can be found on the Cambridge website. Good luck with you application. :smile:
Yes, only Cambridge. Cambridge is the only uni to require an additional assessment I believe (not checked RVC recently tho) :smile:
Where are you going to apply to? :biggrin:
Original post by Izzy3999
Hello, a 2018 vet med applicant here. I am currently trying to sort out my uni choices and would love some info on Nottingham. I am an IB student based in Austria and will definitely be applying to Bristol, Surrey and Liverpool. I have enough points to apply to Cambridge but am unsure about whether its the right environment for me. I need to decide on one more uni, either Cambridge, London or Nottingham and have been reading widely about all three. I like the look of the Nottingham course in particular but I haven't been able to visit the uni. How would you describe the environment, city (night life), sport facilities and campus there?

Thanks! :smile:

You won't get a friendlier feel to anywhere than SB. It is very friendly bad a place and a great place to study

Nottingham and Loughborough areboth close and both good night's out for drinking or eating :smile:

Sports facilities are decent for your common sports. The gym gets packed at peak time but there are quieter times throughout the day and evening.

Campus is small, but very nice and again - very friendly
Hey all, I've been lurking around for about a year and a half now keeping an eye on these threads. Kind of want to say hi and introduce myself as I'm sure I'll start participating a bit more now!

I'm a mature student (I'm 23) studying my A Levels for the first time, and just got my As results (AAAB in Maths, Bio, Chem and the B in further maths which I'll drop this year as I was just doing it for fun). I'm getting really excited to go back to college for my second year but at the same time really nervous as it's the exams next summer that actually matter, not the ones I've just done!

I've done some work experience this year, enough to have hit the minimum required for each uni, so I'm sitting down to try and write my personal statement to apply this october. I don't know why, but this seems to be the hardest part! I don't even know where to start or what to write, I'm just staring at my work experience notes and trying to think of just one sentence but my mind is completely blank.

Is anyone else having this trouble/ or had this trouble when you were writing it? How do I get over this writers block!??
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by laurakyna
Hey all, I've been lurking around for about a year and a half now keeping an eye on these threads. Kind of want to say hi and introduce myself as I'm sure I'll start participating a bit more now!

I'm a mature student (I'm 23) studying my A Levels for the first time, and just got my As results (AAAB in Maths, Bio, Chem and the B in further maths which I'll drop this year as I was just doing it for fun). I'm getting really excited to go back to college for my second year but at the same time really nervous as it's the exams next summer that actually matter, not the ones I've just done!

I've done some work experience this year, enough to have hit the minimum required for each uni, so I'm sitting down to try and write my personal statement to apply this october. I don't know why, but this seems to be the hardest part! I don't even know where to start or what to write, I'm just staring at my work experience notes and trying to think of just one sentence but my mind is completely blank.

Is anyone else having this trouble/ or had this trouble when you were writing it? How do I get over this writers block!??

I was exactly the same! What helped me to start was to list all of the things I wanted to say about myself and then grouped them together, so I had one group for acadamic stuff, one for work experience stuff and one for general achievements etc. Once you get the idea of what you want to say then you can start adding in the extra details to make it flow. Hope this helped a bit and congrats on the brilliant as grades!
So, finished my AS levels and got a C in maths. I hope my work experience is sorted, otherwise I'll have to take a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending