The Student Room Group

How to use flashcards for efficient revision

For A-level biology how would you use flashcards to revise? I know this seems a dumb question but I am not the smartest in the drawer.
write a question on one side and the answer on the other
I personally don't use flash cards, but a lot of people I know recommend write flash cards after every biology lesson to consolidate your knowledge. As previous poster stated, write a question on one side and the answer on the other.

However, do not just read your flash cards! Flash cards are dangerous in that students often end up just reading them, which is passive revision and no good. Instead, I would suggest that while you go through your flashcards for revision, physically write down your answers on a piece of paper. If you just look at the flash card and answer mentally you are more likely to go "Oh yeah, I would've written that", while if you actually write out your answers and then check them, you can see the precise details that you need to get the marks.
Reply 3
Original post by uka_qwer
write a question on one side and the answer on the other

But what kind of questions can I possibly come up with A level biology?
Original post by The RAR

I can send you some of mine as an example if you like - I did OCR Biology and got an A*

Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I personally don't use flash cards, but a lot of people I know recommend write flash cards after every biology lesson to consolidate your knowledge. As previous poster stated, write a question on one side and the answer on the other.

However, do not just read your flash cards! Flash cards are dangerous in that students often end up just reading them, which is passive revision and no good. Instead, I would suggest that while you go through your flashcards for revision, physically write down your answers on a piece of paper. If you just look at the flash card and answer mentally you are more likely to go "Oh yeah, I would've written that", while if you actually write out your answers and then check them, you can see the precise details that you need to get the marks.

Imo writing takes too long - what I did was I physically spoke my answer out loud but that was just me
(edited 6 years ago)
Flash cards are pointless.
Note taking on class and learning through a revision book is far more useful along with doing past exams and redoing them.
To each their own, maybe flash cards are all you got.
Reply 6
Original post by SpidgetFinner
I can send you some of mine as an example if you like - I did OCR Biology and got an A*

Imo writing takes too long - what I did was I physically spoked my answer out loud but that was just me

Sure it would be VERY useful:smile: PM me on how would you like to send them to me.
Original post by The RAR

A good start is all the definitions, eg "What is exocytosis" Answer on back: "The bulk transport of materials out of cells. Vesicles containing the material fuse with the cell-surface membrane and the contents are released to the outside of the cell"

(I just opened a random page in my bio textbook and copied out their explanation)
Original post by Personinsertname
Flash cards are pointless.
Note taking on class and learning through a revision book is far more useful along with doing past exams and redoing them.
To each their own, maybe flash cards are all you got.

Flashcards are proven to be a much better method than note taking, note taking involves 0 active recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVajQPuRmk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCEJVtED0U

Imo writing takes too long - what I did was I physically spoked my answer out loud but that was just me

Yeah fair enough, I think I was trying to get across the point of not using them passively: I know many people who just read through them countless times and it never goes in.

EDIT: again, personally I don't use them so your judgement is likely better when it comes to time consumption
(edited 6 years ago)
Flashcards are proven to be a much better method than note taking, note taking involves 0 active recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVajQPuRmk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCEJVtED0U

People use the word proven incorrectly, they may be a statistical advantage but that does not necessarily apply to you. Only you know what has and hasn't been working from what you've tried.
If all you read was the new fantastic research that says this NEW TECHNIQUE GETS YOU A* i would be think its either click bait, little scientific merit. More data needed et cetera.
People use the word proven incorrectly, they may be a statistical advantage but that does not necessarily apply to you. Only you know what has and hasn't been working from what you've tried.
If all you read was the new fantastic research that says this NEW TECHNIQUE GETS YOU A* i would be think its either click bait, little scientific merit. More data needed et cetera.

Meh that guy is extremely reliable and has a huge following on youtube and I did soley use flashcards and got an A* at the end of the day but yes fair enough.
Meh that guy is extremely reliable and has a huge following on youtube and I did soley use flashcards and got an A* at the end of the day but yes fair enough.

Wouldn't you agree how silly education is when all you need is a bunch of flash cards and the answers on a piece of paper.
Wouldn't you agree how silly education is when all you need is a bunch of flash cards and the answers on a piece of paper.

Completely agree lol, it was literally just learning markschemes from every paper from 2001-2016 for Biology and Chemistry and it worked. But I'm not complaining
I well basically you write down the biological term eg "Photosynthesis" and then write an explanation on the other side so "This is how plants make energy out of sunlight".
THEN you get go through all of the cards, and if you get a question wrong put it into the "don't know" pile and if you get it right put it into the "know" pile . THEN when you're finished, go through the "don't know" pile until you get them all right- ALSO
Make a list each time of the ones you don't know so you know where to improve and which areas you need to concentrate on more!
Also, I liked getting my family/friends to ask me the questions as well as doing it on my own! Makes it more fun and adds a bit of pressure! Great for practice for the exam! 😊😊
Good luck! 😊😊😊

Original post by The RAR
For A-level biology how would you use flashcards to revise? I know this seems a dumb question but I am not the smartest in the drawer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending