The Student Room Group

How to revise - study HELP

Throughout my life I have never really needed to revise and have got good scores in tests. I am now in my last year of a levels and the only way I know how to revise is by writing out EVERY WORD of the WHOLE textbook. Obviously this is very time consuming and a lot of unnecessary effort. Can anyone help me with revision methods/how to summarise ? Every time I try to summarise notes I always feel like I’m missing key points, so end up writing every word again. Anyone have any tips ? I’m struggling 😅 thanks
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
1.Read through a topic
2. Do practice topic exam questions
3. Make notes on weak areas after marking the test
4. Watch videos from YouTube if necessary
5. Complete past papers and then make corrections
6. Flashcards to memorise information such as important facts but most important is timed exam Practice.
Original post by Jandlefish
Throughout my life I have never really needed to revise and have got good scores in tests. I am now in my last year of a levels and the only way I know how to revise is by writing out EVERY WORD of the WHOLE textbook. Obviously this is very time consuming and a lot of unnecessary effort. Can anyone help me with revision methods/how to summarise ? Every time I try to summarise notes I always feel like I’m missing key points, so end up writing every word again. Anyone have any tips ? I’m struggling 😅 thanks

Hello, I'm not sure what subjects you are taking so I don't know if all of these revision techniques will apply to them. Personally, to revise I make mind maps on each unit of a course including key information in note form (you can find good videos on YouTube that explain how to make an effective mind map), and I review each one before a test on the topic. For memorising small of bits of information, I recommend using the Quizlet app for making flashcards and going over them regularly. Doing past papers in timed conditions and then marking them is also really useful as you can get more confident in understanding the mark schemes. I hope some of these helped, and good luck with your a levels :smile:

Hi @Jandlefish,

I think the first step is stepping back from whatever you are revising and thinking about what the paragraph or chapter is trying to get across. By doing this, you can identify what key points you will need to write down and begin to summarise. Equally, if this still isn't helping then I would look at past papers and see what sort of information they require you to know. Often a lot of words within textbooks are simply a further explanation of a key principle to aid learning. If you understand the topic, you don't need the further explanation part so whittle it down right to the bone of the point. Usually, I would say you can cut out the majority of what is said within each chapter of a textbook or notes from a lecture etc. to leave you with just the bare principle.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

hi!! from someone that went from 4's in gcses to A*A*A in a level, and has NEVER revised until a levels this is what i would recommend. I personally think blurting is 100% the way to go with subjects that need a lot of memorisation such as sociology for example. Flashcards are literally my go to for anything though - quizlet is much more efficient as you type it out and it wont take as long as writing. consistently go through your flashcards test yourself or your peers. i read my textbooks and try summarise as much as i can while keeping it short if that makes any sense? if you really need i wouldnt mind helping you out by making some flashcards for you on quizlet with all the key points (i promise im helpful i do the same for my friends i helped my friend go from a grade U to a grade C/B in the span of 2 months) obviously its if youd like! i hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest