The Student Room Group

help!! year 10 mocks

Hi, I'm currently a year 10 student who is taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths, english language, english literature, rs, food tech, geography and computer science.

I have my first year 10 mocks in about 4 weeks time (after the Easter break) but have no idea where to start, or how to effectively structure my revision
Any suggestions...?

(Btw all my target grades given by school are 7-9, but I really want to get 9's on as many subjects as possible!!)

I posted something similar in another thread, and some people suggested flashcards and past papers, but I was just wondering:

1. Regarding flashcards, do you think I should start making them now for all my subjects, since I haven't really bothered with making them up until now?
And if so which subjects I should prioritise making flashcards for?

2. For past papers, do you think its best to print them out and do them, or just have them on my laptop and write the answers on a separate bit of paper?
Also how many past papers do you think I should do per subject?
Another question about past papers; do you think I should do them under exam conditions or not?

Also any subject specific revision advice would be appreciated :smile:

THANKS
I would probably save doing past papers as you won't have covered a lot of the content on them yet. Flashcards I find are very useful for sciences, but less useful for subjects like maths and RS. I tend to make mine online, so I'm not limited by the resources that I have and then I also can't lose them as easily.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would probably save doing past papers as you won't have covered a lot of the content on them yet. Flashcards I find are very useful for sciences, but less useful for subjects like maths and RS. I tend to make mine online, so I'm not limited by the resources that I have and then I also can't lose them as easily.

oh ok thanks
Btw I'm pretty sure for sciences we're only doing paper 1, which we have already covered all the content for, and for the other subjects, i think the teachers are making the mocks on only the content we've already covered, so do you think i should still do past papers, and if so how many roughly i should do for each subject?
Original post by infamous.nugget
oh ok thanks
Btw I'm pretty sure for sciences we're only doing paper 1, which we have already covered all the content for, and for the other subjects, i think the teachers are making the mocks on only the content we've already covered, so do you think i should still do past papers, and if so how many roughly i should do for each subject?
One maybe two, you will want to have more when you are revising for your actual GCSEs
Heyyy
I'm in year 11 but I basically do the same subjects as you and my predicted grades are the samee

For revision I prefer to do past papers on the actual test paper but that's obviously a lot of printing so instead I usually get the paper and the mark scheme up then go through each question checking agaisnt the mark scheme as I go. It's also fun to do this with friends

For all subjects past papers are good but especilly for maths because its harder to revise indiviudally for that
For essay based tests like english, geography, rs, food etc. I would recommend doing timed practices instead of the whole paper so you can focus on the long answer questions and how to answer them efficiently

I don't like using flashcards so I cant really give advice on them but I would definitely start making revision resources now before you get to year 11 as you'll get so busy next year. Geography case studies it is useful to have flashcards for the statisitcs and the vitamins/minerals for food are the only times I use flashcards but other people use them for literally every subject.

For all three sciences, compuitng and food I would recommend using seneca a they are really good for these subejcts. Cognito is also life saving for sciences

Hope this helps and good luck xx
Original post by flowersinmyhair
One maybe two, you will want to have more when you are revising for your actual GCSEs
ok thanks so much!
Original post by agent_duck343
Heyyy
I'm in year 11 but I basically do the same subjects as you and my predicted grades are the samee
For revision I prefer to do past papers on the actual test paper but that's obviously a lot of printing so instead I usually get the paper and the mark scheme up then go through each question checking agaisnt the mark scheme as I go. It's also fun to do this with friends
For all subjects past papers are good but especilly for maths because its harder to revise indiviudally for that
For essay based tests like english, geography, rs, food etc. I would recommend doing timed practices instead of the whole paper so you can focus on the long answer questions and how to answer them efficiently
I don't like using flashcards so I cant really give advice on them but I would definitely start making revision resources now before you get to year 11 as you'll get so busy next year. Geography case studies it is useful to have flashcards for the statisitcs and the vitamins/minerals for food are the only times I use flashcards but other people use them for literally every subject.
For all three sciences, compuitng and food I would recommend using seneca a they are really good for these subejcts. Cognito is also life saving for sciences
Hope this helps and good luck xx
omg thanks so much!!

ik this probably sounds dumb, but what do you mean by doing timed practices?
and also what revision resources do you think are worth making?
Hi, I'm currently a year 10 student who is taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths, english language, english literature, rs, food tech, geography and computer science.
I have my first year 10 mocks in about 4 weeks time (after the Easter break) but have no idea where to start, or how to effectively structure my revision
Any suggestions...?
(Btw all my target grades given by school are 7-9, but I really want to get 9's on as many subjects as possible!!)
I posted something similar in another thread, and some people suggested flashcards and past papers, but I was just wondering:
1. Regarding flashcards, do you think I should start making them now for all my subjects, since I haven't really bothered with making them up until now?
And if so which subjects I should prioritise making flashcards for?
2. For past papers, do you think its best to print them out and do them, or just have them on my laptop and write the answers on a separate bit of paper?
Also how many past papers do you think I should do per subject?
Another question about past papers; do you think I should do them under exam conditions or not?
Also any subject specific revision advice would be appreciated :smile:
THANKS
hi,its really good that your worried about your mocks,I would advise maybe using pmt for topic specific revision,for English I think reading is good and do past papers , re list main quotes and learn them along w ur content so far , use Corbett math qs for math. good luck,
Original post by ambrxxn1
hi,its really good that your worried about your mocks,I would advise maybe using pmt for topic specific revision,for English I think reading is good and do past papers , re list main quotes and learn them along w ur content so far , use Corbett math qs for math. good luck,
thanks for the advice!!
omg thanks so much!!
ik this probably sounds dumb, but what do you mean by doing timed practices?
and also what revision resources do you think are worth making?
Timed practices are when you do specific questions under timed conditions
eg for a geography 9 marker give yourself 10 minutes
basically just give yourself how much time you would have in the exam so you can get used to answering questions and planning them quickly

I like making condensed notes for each topic but this is quite time consuming so definitely start ahead if you’re going to do this. Also using pre made revision resources is so useful - don’t bother making all your own resources if there are good ones online or in a textbook

Also this is my GYG if you want to see more of how I revise for my subjects https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398188&p=99261708&page=10#post99261708

Also here are some people who might be able to help @milktee @Trickia @AspiringSurvivor @Tatakae L
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by agent_duck343
Timed practices are when you do specific questions under timed conditions
eg for a geography 9 marker give yourself 10 minutes
basically just give yourself how much time you would have in the exam so you can get used to answering questions and planning them quickly
I like making condensed notes for each topic but this is quite time consuming so definitely start ahead if you’re going to do this. Also using pre made revision resources is so useful - don’t bother making all your own resources if there are good ones online or in a textbook
Also this is my GYG if you want to see more of how I revise for my subjects https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7398188&p=99261708&page=10#post99261708
ohh ok, thx so much for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest