The Student Room Group

Transfer to veterinary medicine

I have just begun a veterinary biosciences course at Surrey. Originally I applied for vet med, got to interview but was not offered a place. Just yesterday I was offered the chance to transfer to the vet med course, I presume due to dropouts there were places available and apparently my interview was decent and I met the required grades. It seems obvious that I should accept the offer but after being denied the place originally I began to really like the idea of the vet bio degree. Eventually, I would want to go into research (I think) instead of being an actual vet. Any advice?
Original post by efturner
I have just begun a veterinary biosciences course at Surrey. Originally I applied for vet med, got to interview but was not offered a place. Just yesterday I was offered the chance to transfer to the vet med course, I presume due to dropouts there were places available and apparently my interview was decent and I met the required grades. It seems obvious that I should accept the offer but after being denied the place originally I began to really like the idea of the vet bio degree. Eventually, I would want to go into research (I think) instead of being an actual vet. Any advice?

Use any contacts and talk to any students in vet bio and vet med for their opinions. ideally use a professional organisation contacts or linkedin to contact some people in the job you wish to do.

Make sure if you want vet bio its not a reaction to being rejected and is based on a positive impression of vet bio. Gratz for getting the offer in any event.

You can go into research as a qualified vet, quite a lot of students do the vet med degree then go on to do a PhD and research. I never did Vet biosciences however I did bioveterinary science, and I know it’s quite difficult to go into research without doing a PhD with that degree.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Use any contacts and talk to any students in vet bio and vet med for their opinions. ideally use a professional organisation contacts or linkedin to contact some people in the job you wish to do.

Make sure if you want vet bio its not a reaction to being rejected and is based on a positive impression of vet bio. Gratz for getting the offer in any event.

I think you're right, I think I had just accepted the vet bio course after thinking I wasn't good enough for vet med. Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Lizziefickling
You can go into research as a qualified vet, quite a lot of students do the vet med degree then go on to do a PhD and research. I never did Vet biosciences however I did bioveterinary science, and I know it’s quite difficult to go into research without doing a PhD with that degree.

Thank you, this really helped! I think bioveterinary science and vet bioscience are probably very similar. I had never considered that it would be difficult to get into research without a PhD but it makes sense.
I think you're right, I think I had just accepted the vet bio course after thinking I wasn't good enough for vet med. Thanks!

Let us know if you decide vet or vet bio? Ask if you get a week to find out and talk to your tutors as well. One thing ive seen is a vets life might not be all you imagined, so be realistic about what you enjoy an what sort of life you want. Look at jobs people do and salaries as well.
Me personally, I think you should do the vet med course because you can go into research after you graduate , but with the vet bio science you can't change your mind and become a vet, I really think you'd regret it later because vet med is so competitive and you might not be able to change later
Reply 7
Thank you every one! I decided to take the offer, your comments really helped. It's not been easy but I'm glad I did it
Reply 8
If anyone sees this, I may be transferring back... I know its difficult for anyone to understand why but I decided the course just isn't for me and I'd rather do really well on the other one than struggle on this on for the next 5 years. I'm really glad I at least got the opportunity to try.
(edited 6 years ago)
If anyone sees this, I may be transferring back... I know its difficult for anyone to understand why but I decided the course just isn't for me and I'd rather do really well on the other one than struggle on this on for the next 5 years. I'm really glad I at least got the opportunity to try.

Surely you should give it a chance before giving up? You’ve been offered an opportunity so many students would literally die for, don’t give up so easily!
Reply 10
Original post by Lizziefickling
Surely you should give it a chance before giving up? You’ve been offered an opportunity so many students would literally die for, don’t give up so easily!

I do understand this is an amazing opportunity but this past week has really affected my mental wellbeing and I can't complete any assignments and don't to go to lectures which shouldn't be the case

You need to speak to as many people as possible who can give you insight including students in higher years plus the course organisers.

Part of you is quite sensitive and emotional, so you need to bear that in mind and fully understand why you want to switch back.

Is it a genuine feeling you wont cope? is it because its new and strange plus you dont know people on the course? perhaps plenty of others are struggling as well?

If you feel its a well informed decision and you prefer the other course then switch.
If you feel its about your ability to cope, then make sue thats not newcomer nerves.

Its your decision and as long as you feel in control when you make it then its your life an up to you. Considering how hard it is to get on and how much time you will have spent thinking about being a vet, then be sure its the right choice and dont look back if you change your mind.

You might also ask your tutors for a few more weeks as you arent sure?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
You need to speak to as many people as possible who can give you insight including students in higher years plus the course organisers.

Part of you is quite sensitive and emotional, so you need to bear that in mind and fully understand why you want to switch back.

Is it a genuine feeling you wont cope? is it because its new and strange plus you dont know people on the course? perhaps plenty of others are struggling as well?

If you feel its a well informed decision and you prefer the other course then switch.
If you feel its about your ability to cope, then make sue thats not newcomer nerves.

Its your decision and as long as you feel in control when you make it then its your life an up to you. considering how hard it is to get on and how much time you will have spent thinking about being a vet, then be sure its the right choice and dont look back if you change your mind.

You might also ask your tutors for a few more weeks as you arent sure?

Thank you for your advice. I know its only been one week so I obviously don't know the entire course but I've had an insight into it from this week and really just didn't enjoy it. I know you guys don't know me personally but even when I first applied for vet med I could never give a proper reason as to why I wanted to do it and the whole process led to me to realise what I actually wanted to do was go into research instead. Of course, the vet med course would give me the opportunity to do this but so would the other one. And if the other one suits my learning style and personality better I just think its a no-brainer. Obviously for other people, on paper, vet med = more money but I think I need to think beyond that went it regards the next 4 or 5 years of my life. I have tried a week of both courses, loved on and loathed the other.

I think its a serious issue when I don't even want to get out of bed and dread waking up knowing I have to go to lectures for a course that day. Maybe, in the long run, I would learn to enjoy it better but I think for now I need to do what's best for now. I always have the option of doing a vet med degree in the future if I so wish.
Thank you for your advice. I know its only been one week so I obviously don't know the entire course but I've had an insight into it from this week and really just didn't enjoy it. I know you guys don't know me personally but even when I first applied for vet med I could never give a proper reason as to why I wanted to do it and the whole process led to me to realise what I actually wanted to do was go into research instead. Of course, the vet med course would give me the opportunity to do this but so would the other one. And if the other one suits my learning style and personality better I just think its a no-brainer. Obviously for other people, on paper, vet med = more money but I think I need to think beyond that went it regards the next 4 or 5 years of my life. I have tried a week of both courses, loved on and loathed the other.

I think its a serious issue when I don't even want to get out of bed and dread waking up knowing I have to go to lectures for a course that day. Maybe, in the long run, I would learn to enjoy it better but I think for now I need to do what's best for now. I always have the option of doing a vet med degree in the future if I so wish.

As i said its your decision and your life. If you have enough information o know one offers a better and happier future for you then make it. All you need to think in twenty years time is that you made the best decision at the time and thought it through. No need to look back with regrets then.

There have been a few posters who have left vet med careers on this sub forum so have a look and ask them. Its not for everyone.

Try and talk to someone whose in the job/ area you want and ask them what they enjoy about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending