The Student Room Group

Can I get into KCL/UCL/LSE with these grades?

GCSE;
AAAAAAAA

A LEVEL prediction; A*AA (Economics,English Lit,History)

Say I do well in LNAT and my personal statement is good, will I stand a good chance to get into these universities for law? It’s a competitive course and I’m scared my GCSE’s may be a disadvantage compared to others. Thanks guys...
Well LSE doesn't look at LNAT so you may get a rejection from them since you don't have any A*'s at GCSE. I think you should be good for an offer from KCL maybe UCL depending on your LNAT but your predicted grades meet the requirements so I don't see why not
Reply 2
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Well LSE doesn't look at LNAT so you may get a rejection from them since you don't have any A*'s at GCSE. I think you should be good for an offer from KCL maybe UCL depending on your LNAT but your predicted grades meet the requirements so I don't see why not

Will LSE take into consideration that my school was a low achieving one. My grades were still good enough to be top 9% in the year.
Original post by Markdownin
Will LSE take into consideration that my school was a low achieving one. My grades were still good enough to be top 9% in the year.

yep they'll take into account context and mitigating circumstances, did you sit any AS's?
Reply 4
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
yep they'll take into account context and mitigating circumstances, did you sit any AS's?

No. I just got my predicted grades. Do you think that if I got A*A*A as prediction I could apply to LSE?
No. I just got my predicted grades. Do you think that if I got A*A*A as prediction I could apply to LSE?

Probably yes since your school is low achieving (and I assume in a less affluent area). Just to put it in context I'm applying for LSE (Law LLB), having already achieving A*A*A in A-levels as I'm on a gap year. Got 6 A*'s, 3 A's and 1 B at GCSE/IGCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by JohanGRK
meh

Try it, don't be surprised if you get an early rejection. They expect the majority of GCSEs to be A*s, and I don't know whether your school was bad enough to compensate for that (LSE has POLAR data on your postcode, so they can fine tune their expectations according to how bad your school actually was). Good predictions (I'd suggest doing an EPQ if available, just to show that you can deal with the extra workload). PS plays a big role, so make sure you're covered on that front.

It's a shame that, with the idiotic decision to scrap AS, you've lost a chance to compensate for your GCSE grades :frown:

I never thought my GCSE’s were as poor as being have to justify them.
I never thought my GCSE’s were as poor as being have to justify them.

The majority of people who get offers from LSE have at least 6-8 A*s at GCSE, so while your grades are by no means bad, they’re not realistically good enough for LSE without mitigating factors.
Reply 8
Original post by LeapingLucy
The majority of people who get offers from LSE have at least 6-8 A*s at GCSE, so while your grades are by no means bad, they’re not realistically good enough for LSE without mitigating factors.

I heard that was Oxbridge only? Also what about KCL and UCL?
GCSE;
AAAAAAAA

A LEVEL prediction; A*AA (Economics,English Lit,History)

Say I do well in LNAT and my personal statement is good, will I stand a good chance to get into these universities for law? It’s a competitive course and I’m scared my GCSE’s may be a disadvantage compared to others. Thanks guys...

Unless your school is god awful then I don't think LSE is really viable. You will be going up against people with 10-11 GCSEs with 6 A* + each and people predicted 3 A*. KCL has a fantastic law school and so does UCL which I think you have a good shot at.

If you have a 'spare' choice there is no harm trying for LSE but if you don't and you want to possibly apply somewhere else then dont bother.

Quick Reply

Latest